So I bought a 19x, another one

I recently bought a 19X and the rear sight was a little farther off to one side than I like. It zeroed fine but that is a pet peeve of mine so I sold it. Went back to the store and inspected every single 19X they had and found one that is about perfect. I have yet to shoot the second one but it should be no different than the first one and be amazingly reliable, it is a Glock, as well as surprisingly accurate.

I will say I have not been a fan of Glocks despite carrying them for work and every day carry. But with that being said I really like this one. 

For those that don't know the 19X was Glock's submission to the military service pistol program. The only difference is the submitted version had a manual safety and the civilian version doesn't, which I like. But beyond that it is identical to the gun submitted to the military for trials. Even though the 19X is a generation 5 gun it does have some slight differences from other generation 5 Glocks.

What makes the 19X different than any other Glock is it has a 19 length slide on a full size, 17 frame. I hear of people saying Glock should have went with a longer slide and a shorter frame and that this is the worst gun ever but I think it is great, especially for a EDC. The shorter grip frame of the 19, as well as the compacts, do not allow for a full grip and without a good grip accuracy suffers. Another problem with the more compact guns is the magazine capacity. I know you can use a full size magazine with the compacts but if you are going to use a full size magazine why not have the full size grip to go along with it. I hear people saying it is not concealable but I beg to differ because most people are oblivious to their surroundings. If they are going to notice the grip of a full size pistol they are going to notice the grip of a compact but 99% of the people will have no clue a person is carrying a full size pistol. The slide being shorter has some benefits. Me, like most people, spend a lot of time sitting each day. And with a longer slide that can get uncomfortable as the gun is pushed up. With the shorter slide it is a lot less of a problem. The 19X is a perfect gun for those who spend most of their day sitting without giving up magazine capacity. People are screaming the 19X has a short sight radius, these are the same people carrying the super compact Glocks that have an even shorter sight radius. 

One difference I noticed from other generation 5 Glocks was that the front of the grip extends down to act as sort of a magazine protector. Standard Glocks have a cut out so a person can drag the magazine out easily if it doesn't drop free, the 19X does not have the cut out and instead has that extension to the grip. I like it because it gives you more grip. The 19X also has a maritime spring cup which helps it fire after being submerged in water. It comes from the factory with tritium sights that are bright and easy to see. It also comes with a lanyard loop but it is easily removed like any grip plug.

The generation 5 Glocks have an ambidextrous  slide release, 19X included. I am not a lefty but I like the idea of an ambidextrous slide release. The one thing that the ambidextrous release does that I do not like is it exposes the internals to crud unlike previous versions. Probably not a big deal but you can look in and see the trigger bar moving. The genreation 5 Glocks also have replaceable backstraps. I currently use the largest backstrap with a beavertail. I do not have large hands but with the large backstrap it feels better, and shoots better, in my hands. It, like most generation 5 Glocks, seem to shoot better than any other generation of Glock I have ever shot. I have used and shot every generation except the first generation pistols and they have shot well enough but this thing surprised me with the accuracy. Touching holes at 7 yards was simple. Glock is bragging about their new "Marksman Barrel" and it is unlike any other Glock barrel because they are not polygonal anymore. The newest generation Glocks also have an integrated magazine well to help with magazine changes.

I feel the 19X is a great deal in Glocks. It is $600 but it has tritium sights that are easy to see and seem brighter than most tritium sights I have seen. It comes with three standard G17 magazines in FDE, two of the magazines have +2 extensions raising their capacity. The one thing I HATE about the gun is the color. If it had been black it would have been a home run but instead it has a FDE grip and a burnt bronze/baby poop colored slide. 

One thing most people are not going to like about the generation 5 Glock is no parts, other than magazines, will swap with the previous generations. The barrels are different and the slides will not interchange. Not sure about trigger parts though. Speaking of magazines the 19X will use previous version magazines but will NOT work with other generation 5 magazines because of the base plates. Swap base plates and any magazine work. Another option is to remove the grip extension on the front of the grip.

This is Glock's version of a "commander" pistol. 

• Like 5

I am interested in the wear, that is one of the things I don't like about all these painted guns, the corners/edges seem to wear pretty fast.  I like my G23, but that is the only glock I have, the others just don't do it for me, like on the G17, the longer "nose" just doesn't appeal to me, but this one may be on my radar yet.

Great write-up Gordon. Thank you.

I like the idea of the G17 size grip and 19 length slide. That alone should improve handling for most folks and make this gun a serious shooter.

I'm a bit of a runt but frequently carry a G 17 and have no issues concealing it whatsoever. The 19 length slide shouldn't be a hindrance as it relates to accuracy and shootability. I've run a 19 for a few decades and it's more accurate than I am LOL.

• Like 1

The trigger parts on the Gen 5 guns are apparently completely different from prior generations.  I don't have the link handy, but Recoil magazine had photos of a detail strip.   This is obviously going to be an issue in the short term if buyers aren't happy with the triggers out of the box, but I'm sure aftermarket vendors are working on new parts for them, and fortunately, most accounts seem to confirm that the factory triggers are very good out of the box.

Thank you for the write up Gordon. I have wanted one for a couple weeks now and I think as soon as they come back in stock at Academy I will pick one up, got to save my 20%!  Your remarks about people oblivious to their surroundings is spot on. I tell this to so many people shopping for a gun for carry that No one pays any attention to their surroundings anymore. If it's not on their phone screens they don't care about it. I carry both the 20 & 21 regularly so big guns are not uncommon for me, the 19X would be a bit of a break for me :)

1 hour ago, zybysco said:

One review I read said.it does NOT take gen 5 magazines. The baseplate hits the extended grip.  Can you verify?

Correct. It's take the rest of the G17 mags for the other gens as well as the happy sticks. 

Edited by Rebels010
10 hours ago, prag said:

Great write-up Gordon. Thank you.

I like the idea of the G17 size grip and 19 length slide. That alone should improve handling for most folks and make this gun a serious shooter.

I'm a bit of a runt but frequently carry a G 17 and have no issues concealing it whatsoever. The 19 length slide shouldn't be a hindrance as it relates to accuracy and shootability. I've run a 19 for a few decades and it's more accurate than I am LOL.

All guns are more accurate than I am.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Rebels010 said:

Correct. It's take the rest of the G17 mags for the other gens as well as the happy sticks. 

It is a baseplate issue, nothing more. Swap the Gen 5 baseplate for a previous generation and it is no problem. Or you could just cut off the lip at the front of the grip and be able to use everything.

The rear sight being off to one side. Glock has gone overboard on Tech Stuff on this On Gun 5 Models with the new Match Barrel ,when gun is test fired at factory a computer

tells where it thinks sight should be drifted and does this automatically. This is why you will find them all the way right, left or centered. The Reps are telling factory to drop this and just center them because  of customer complaints. Some Distributors and Dealers are now doing it themselves.

• Like 1

Yes it was according to computerized sight in system. I always center my rear sights even on adjustable sights because on Glock I do not notice any change in target 15 to 25 yards

in steel plate size targets.  Gold Cup @25yrds and trying to keep all in X ring ,yes on adjusting rear sight.

• 3 weeks later...

I have carried a Gen 3 G19 for over a decade now. I own multiples of them. I fondled my first 19x today. It was hard not to drop the $600 on it right then and there. It felt 'right.' It made me feel dirty, because everything told me I should hate this pistol.

• Like 1
On 3/12/2018 at 8:13 AM, Dolomite_supafly said:

Glock is bragging about their new "Marksman Barrel" and it is unlike any other Glock barrel because they are not polygonal anymore.

Actually, they call it "enhanced polygonal" with a better crown. I have some interest in this one too. Nice write-up, Gordon.

Edited by mikegideon