So I bought a 19x, another one

• Administrator
On 3/13/2018 at 4:12 AM, Dolomite_supafly said:

It is a baseplate issue, nothing more. Swap the Gen 5 baseplate for a previous generation and it is no problem. Or you could just cut off the lip at the front of the grip and be able to use everything.

This is purely my opinion and worth nothing, but I think Glock shot themselves in the foot with the "Gen 5 Baseplate" since hitherto the mags from pretty much any Gen worked in any other Gen.  The slight exception being the ambidextrous mag release cutout in the mag between Gen 3 and Gen 4, but Gen 4 mags still work as long as you're a right-handed shooter and have the mag release configured as such.

These Gen 5 mags with the "lip" have fragmented their ecosystem somewhat, and Glock's claim to fame has been standardization.

• Moderators
This is purely my opinion and worth nothing, but I think Glock shot themselves in the foot with the "Gen 5 Baseplate" since hitherto the mags from pretty much any Gen worked in any other Gen.  The slight exception being the ambidextrous mag release cutout in the mag between Gen 3 and Gen 4, but Gen 4 mags still work as long as you're a right-handed shooter and have the mag release configured as such.
These Gen 5 mags with the "lip" have fragmented their ecosystem somewhat, and Glock's claim to fame has been standardization.

I had convinced myself over the weekend that I’d buy a 19x to try it but then found out about the magazine issue that you speak of. Sorta destroyed all plans in that simple fact alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

I had convinced myself over the weekend that I’d buy a 19x to try it but then found out about the magazine issue that you speak of. Sorta destroyed all plans in that simple fact alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 19x has a flat baseplate as far as I know. Not the cutout like the other Gen 5s.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:20 PM, TGO David said:

No, it's just the 19x that's weird. Gen 5 mags work just fine in everything else.

• Administrator
On 4/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, zybysco said:

No, it's just the 19x that's weird. Gen 5 mags work just fine in everything else.

You know, I had seen some pics of a Gen 5 mag base-plate that had a dingus on the front edge that filled in the notch on the frame.  For some reason I thought those were stock.  Turns out they aren't.

• 1 month later...

Took the Glock Armorer course a couple of weeks ago. Yes the Gen5 internals are different. The 19X internally is as Gen5 as any of the others... just went through the parts order form and almost all are the same for 17, 19 & 19X... a couple of differences between the 17 and 19s.

Our instructor said that because of the frame/slide matchup, there is less rise so it's easier to stay on target for the next shot. I have only handled one in the showroom.

Don't forget GSSF members get a discount coupon from Glock at each anniversary (buy 2+ years up front for a coupon now).
image.png.cf85681bc5759adb4be58f757b19e817.png