45 ACP "carry" ammo

What are you guys carrying that feeds great and is reliable in 45ACP in 230 grains ? I am talking about carry ammunition and not range stuff. I reload but I keep hearing that people should carry factory ammo for "liability" and all. I will be carrying this ammo in a Glock 30 , 21 , and a 1911 .

1 hour ago, smokin45 said:

Hornady 45+P in 200gr. and 230gr. TAP-FPD. I use these in my Glock 30SF. 

I was looking at Hornady XTP but they are a "plus P " round. You think that extra +P will do any damage or premature wear ? I know Glocks are strong and so are 1911's but I am a worrier.

Edited by tercel89
13 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

I was looking at Hornady XTP but they are a "plus P " round. You think that extra +P will do any damage or premature wear ? I know Glocks are strong and so are 1911's but I am a worrier.

They exist in standard pressure as well, that's what's in my .45. 

31 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

I don't use them as a daily practice round. I've shot some and know what to expect in reference to my practice ammo. Back to your question get in touch with Glock and they should be able to set your mind at ease. 

• Admin Team

230gr. Federal HSTs.  I've shot a metric ton of Speer Gold Dot's in the same weight.  Reliability with both has been 100%, and I've never had a stoppage out of either in my 1911. I prefer the HST because the tech is a little newer - and I've hunted with the round and seen it's effectiveness.

You'll need to shoot enough of whatever round you choose to ensure that you can say the same in your chosen platform.

Just in case there's an interest. Bone Frog Gun Club has 45 acp Fed HST 230 gr for $22.50/50 rds.

I've only ordered 9mm from them, but shipping for 4 boxes (200 rds) 147 gr 9mm HST was $11.24 and they ship fast.

Good company and solid service imho.

edited to add link:

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition/products/45-acp-230gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-50rds-p45hst2

Edited by prag
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

230 grain fmj atop 5 grains of Bullseye; just like John Browning and Uncle Sam intended.:hat:

To be honest , I carried 45acp like that for a long time . Only in 45 since its so slow and big plus it feeds so reliably.

I’m a +1 on the Federal HST. I carry 230gr in my Colt Rail Gun and 147gr 9mm in all my other guns (I’m a sucker for a 9mm). Never had a hiccup in any of them. Targetsports has 9mm 147gr for $19.99/50 and $26.99/50 of the 230 45acp. IMO it really is the best of all worlds...it has the tech on par with any other HP round out there but depending on where you buy it, is also the most affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Gold Dots in my Glock 30sf and also in my FNP45. Never had any issues with them after firing about 150 rounds of Gold Dot 230 grain in each gun. I sometimes load the FNP with +P rounds because it doesn't recoil as much as the Glock.

12 hours ago, tercel89 said:

To be honest , I carried 45acp like that for a long time . Only in 45 since its so slow and big plus it feeds so reliably.

It seems to me that penetration is the most desirable characteristic in most handgun rounds. Most everyone else seems worried about expansion. Expansion is only good once it gets where it needs to go.