Nationwide school "walk out" for gun control laws

I have been hearing that students all over the US are scheduling a "walk out" on March 14th for gun control laws the same time in the morning as the school shooting happened. To me this is very dangerous. I can see some idiot with a gun just waiting across the street from a school for all the students to walk out and then bang bang bang . Here we go again ! These protesting students and others just don't seem to have common sense .

It seems that I made a few members here mad when I posted this. I posted this purely stating that in MY OPINION it is dangerous and makes them easy targets by them walking outside in front of all these schools . No harm was meant. I respect their 1st Amendment and all but I am looking at the safety of these of kids and people doing this.

Edited by tercel89

So, you are saying that one should not excercise their 1st Amendement right and to be in fear of a terrorist attack? You don't seem to have common sense!

Does this apply to all political demonstrations, or only to those that you oppose?

• Like 1

What I find amusing is that many of the kids were shocked to hear that there might be repercussions (suspension, etc.) for walking out of class. Sounds like a good opportunity for them to learn decisions have consequences, regardless of whether or not they think they're supporting a good cause.  Though it does appear that a lot of schools are allowing a fairly brief demonstration. 

• Like 1

And the overriding question of where are the parents? I am all for standing up for oneself and practicing free speech. However just like protestes blocking streets these things have consequences. If parents would actually step up and teach their children rather than let the schools and tv/social media do it we might get somewhere. In my mind a lot of the problems today can be traced to that lack of parenting. Kids today at 2 or 3 years old are using tablets. Now if it is controlled and educational that might be a great tool. When it is you tube videos uncontrolled by parents for hours and hours a day that is a problem.

As for these walkouts I am thinking the little ones need to learn that actions have consequences. Suspensions are failing grades is one of them. Parents stepping in is another. There are other ways to make your voice heard. I think a lot of them are doing this for the attention and then their fifteen minutes with a chance to get on camera or you tube and snapchat and all the other social media. It is how the kids live these days.

• Moderators

I am all for freedom to protest but could you imagine if this was a walk out over "religion" (insert your own word)? I guess I see kids being manipulated and used in the worst way.

I have a friend whose kids were told the entire school is walking out. How is that not an agenda? He is picking his kids up before the walkout and taking them to the gun range.

• Like 6
  • Moderators

I haven’t read much of anything other than this thread, but I wonder the mindset percentages of those participating?

How many are advocating gun control? How many are simply advocating for something (armed teachers, security, etc)? How many are doing it just to get out of class with no other real heart in the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

The right to protest is just as sacred in our founding documents as is our right to bear arms. You don't get one without the other.

I get it that many here are concerned because of the subject getting protested today, but you don't really get to pick and choose.

I had a good conversation with my 5th grader this morning about the protests - and learned a lot about her and her peers’ thinking in the process. She is a shooter - but she's also worried about violence at school.

Protest by itself is rarely a solution - but it creates space to talk about solutions.  I'm increasingly convinced that gun owners will either be a part of this conversation - including forming real solutions that protect peoples rights and their safety - or we'll watch as our rights are stripped. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, scooter said:

So, you are saying that one should not excercise their 1st Amendement right and to be in fear of a terrorist attack? You don't seem to have common sense!

Does this apply to all political demonstrations, or only to those that you oppose?

No , I am not talking about any of that. I am saying that I believe that kids announcing that they will be walking out of class all over the US will be making them more vulnerable for some idiot who wants to do the same thing as the other shooter did.

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My kid hasn't mentioned it.

I don't think mine would have either until I asked.  And then she had a lot more questions/comments than I would have expected.

Truthfully, I didn't do too much talking - just a lot of listening and asking a few questions to help her as she shapes her thinking.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I'm increasingly convinced that gun owners will either be a part of this conversation - including forming real solutions that protect peoples rights and their safety - or we'll watch as our rights are stripped. 

That would be nice...

• Like 3

students are being used by the antis. For years they said "it's for the children" 

Now they are using them as their mouth pieces. 

The way I see it, those allowing and supporting this should be disciplined. Not the students but the administrators and teachers. 

The agenda is gun control, period. Those in charge want to keep children vulnerable by leaving them unprotected. The ends justifies the means after all. 

Absolutely disgusting people!

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

I don't disagree with Colion at all.

There are millions of us. We're voices that need to be heard. I'd just argue that we need to find better ways to get our message out there and show we're not crazy. Unfortunately, for every sane voice - the click-obsessed media seems to be able to find some fool walking into Chipotle with his AR.  

America wouldn't be America today without the 2nd Amendment. It won't be America in the future if they strip that right. And yes, we're going up against a group that wants nothing more than to take our guns - whether it be for power or control or just because they're scary. Whatever. And we've got kids dying because this mass-shooting thing seems to be a problem unto itself right now.

Something is going to happen - we've got to find a way to be at the table with solutions that work outside of "taking all the guns." It's a heavy lift.

But, we're either going to find a way to be a part of the conversation - or we're going to watch as we get overrun. The NRA is generally effective and they're powerful - but they're not enough.

Look at Congress right now.  We had a Congress built in opposition to Obama - and that worked okay for 8 years. But, in showing their inability/unwillingness to actually govern - they're about to get steamrolled. Sooner or later there are going to be people in power that want nothing more than to strip these rights.  We've got some time now to shore things up - so that when that time comes - we've got more case law like Heller and MacDonald, structures that keep weapons out of people's hands who shouldn't have them, good due process - and maybe stuff that's not even in the conversation right now - restoration of rights for non-violent felons who've paid their debts, a more rigorous conversation around communities taking care of themselves, etc.

It's not going to happen by just yelling about "shall not be infringed." There's a place for that. But, that by itself simply isn't enough. We're going to have to find ways to treat the underlying symptoms.

• Like 5

Back when I was a kid growing up and I'm talking kid 10 years old I owned a 4.10 shot gun and a 12 gauge and when I was not in school during the hunting seasons I was in the woods and fields hunting. Now I was able to do this in a state that now has someof the toughest gun laws in the country, Illinois and the year was 1958. By the time my buddy and I were 13 and 14 we owned at least 8 or more guns each including 22lr Single action pistols. My friend owned a Ruger and I owned a Colt. We didn't even need our parents with up to purchase these firearms. All we needed was the funds to purchase them. No back ground checks or waiting periods. Just cash and a receipt and deal was done. When I moved to Tennessee in 1967 I was kind of surprised to see rifles and shotguns hanging in the back windows of pickups but learned quick that was the way things was done down here.

My grandfather gave me my frist deer rifle which was a Winchester mod 94. I could not buy high powered rifles up north cause there was no big game seasons up there. 22lr was the biggest rifle we could buy in Illinois back then. I grew up in a gun enviroment and it was 2nd nature. Today my friend still lives up there and he said gun owners are constantly jumping through hoops to be able to do what we took as a natural way of life back in 1958.

Now there are people working very hard at trying to end a lifestyle this country was built on and that was the right to  Bear arms. The right to own a gun. I have looked at the people that want to deprive us of our rights. Because they might be in a position of power to take my rights away, do a back ground check on many of them and you will find they are either gun owners themselves or are surrounded by men and women that do have guns to protect that individual wanting to take your rights away.

I'm 70 years old and I can tell you right this minute!! If they come to take my guns away it is not going to be peaceful or a pretty sight and they will remove my guns from my cold dead hands..........JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I am all for freedom to protest but could you imagine if this was a walk out over "religion" (insert your own word)? I guess I see kids being manipulated and used in the worst way.

I have a friend whose kids were told the entire school is walking out. How is that not an agenda? He is picking his kids up before the walkout and taking them to the gun range.

We protested bad lunches at my HS in the early 70's.

• Like 2

Another scripted media moment brought to you by the Anti crowd. Kids being brainwashed in schools continues. Teachers find a few that are maleeable and thn us them to get the other kids following them because it is the "Cool" and "In" thing to do and runs counter to what authority wants. That is a powerful combination for kids that have no clue they are being manipulated. 

As for the "We have to be part of the conversation" crowd. Well dang son, when have we not been. What that comes down to is we need to use the same tricks the other side does except we are a little higher in our own ethics and refuse to use kjids that way. That is the tough spot!

4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The right to protest is just as sacred in our founding documents as is our right to bear arms. You don't get one without the other.

I get it that many here are concerned because of the subject getting protested today, but you don't really get to pick and choose.

I had a good conversation with my 5th grader this morning about the protests - and learned a lot about her and her peers thinking in the process. She is a shooter - but she's also worried about violence at school.

Protest by itself is rarely a solution - but it creates space to talk about solutions.  I'm increasingly convinced that gun owners will either be a part of this conversation - including forming real solutions that protect peoples rights and their safety - or we'll watch as our rights are stripped. 

The irony is this:

Most of these students probably are NOT 18 or older.  There are cries, many by such protesters, to pass laws that will strip 2nd Amendment rights from adults who are between the ages of 18 and 21.  If they want to have others' rights taken away then maybe - as they aren't adults and are under the jurisdiction of the schools at the time in question - their 1st Amendment rights should be curbed, as well.  Maybe that would drive home a point as to exactly what they are asking - that they are asking the government to interfere with a Constitutionally protected right.