Nationwide school "walk out" for gun control laws

I've yet to meet a gun ban type person willing to have an honest conversation.

They want to take away my freedom. I want to be left alone. I do not see any common ground there.

I'm tired of talking about it or hearing about it.

I've done nothing wrong, and for a variety of reasons, it seems my fellow countrymen seem to want to label me all sorts of negative things.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

They want to take away my freedom. I want to be left alone. I do not see any common ground there.

I've done nothing wrong, and for a variety of reasons, it seems my fellow countrymen seem to want to label me all sorts of negative things.

hmmm  sounds like both sides are not willing to talk. So  how do we get beyond that! If both sides keep saying the same things as stated above there is no reason to think we can have any movement or understanding. If that is the case we are all just headed towards the cliff. 

Having a conersation has to ove beyond "No, my way is the only way!".  It is not about guns and the anti's need to be made to understand that. It is also not about the gun owners being responsible either. There is plenty of blame for both sides even if most do not want to admit it. 

Arguing that the 2nd is a complete right to own anything anythime anywhere is not goinig to cut it these days, that is just reality. Yes, it sucks.

Arguing that all guns shoould be banned is not going to cut it either. It is also just reality. 

So focusing on the root causes of these events needs to happen. Getting the passion out of the conversation needs to happen but is very difficult to accomplish. Afterall, the anti crowd is blaming the gun. They are not blaming the car the shooter used to get to the event, nor the clothes he wore, or the food he ate that morning but all are related.

What everyone needs is a deep breath and listen for awhile. Some restrictions on buying guns are OK to me. Very limited but I think as a society we need some. However, restricting the people that follow the law is not amongst those. We should not allow guns into the hands of people that are displaying mental health issues. Period. I do not think anyone convicted of a violent crime should ever have their right to a gun restored. One chance is enough when it comes to human life.

So how do we move forward. We just saw a story this morning wheree a 17 year old at a sleep over for 13 year olds stabbed several children andthe mother. He had been reported an investigated by the FBI previously. Hmmm  anyone sense a pattern here. So start listing out the links of chain in all these events. Lack of LE to get involved correctly or handle the issue correctly, ease of access to a gun or other weapon, no mental health care safety net, no accountability, recidivism, hell the list can go on forever. The point is remove any link and like any other event the disaster is averted.

This is really not all that difficult to grasp the real issue is that the anti crowd likes to never waste a good tragedy. That means we do not have a recving ready audience. So we need to get the audience ready to listen before we can do anything else. I would applaud the person that figures out a way to get the anti gun crowd to listen to a reasonable layout of the causes.

Until the interaction and root cause analysis happens we are destined to jkust see more of these events as they are self feeding! In other words stupid is as stupid does on social media.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

This is exactly where I am.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

hmmm  sounds like both sides are not willing to talk. So  how do we get beyond that! If both sides keep saying the same things as stated above there is no reason to think we can have any movement or understanding. If that is the case we are all just headed towards the cliff. 

Having a conersation has to ove beyond "No, my way is the only way!".  It is not about guns and the anti's need to be made to understand that. It is also not about the gun owners being responsible either. There is plenty of blame for both sides even if most do not want to admit it. 

Arguing that the 2nd is a complete right to own anything anythime anywhere is not goinig to cut it these days, that is just reality. Yes, it sucks.

Arguing that all guns shoould be banned is not going to cut it either. It is also just reality. 

So focusing on the root causes of these events needs to happen. Getting the passion out of the conversation needs to happen but is very difficult to accomplish. Afterall, the anti crowd is blaming the gun. They are not blaming the car the shooter used to get to the event, nor the clothes he wore, or the food he ate that morning but all are related.

What everyone needs is a deep breath and listen for awhile. Some restrictions on buying guns are OK to me. Very limited but I think as a society we need some. However, restricting the people that follow the law is not amongst those. We should not allow guns into the hands of people that are displaying mental health issues. Period. I do not think anyone convicted of a violent crime should ever have their right to a gun restored. One chance is enough when it comes to human life.

So how do we move forward. We just saw a story this morning wheree a 17 year old at a sleep over for 13 year olds stabbed several children andthe mother. He had been reported an investigated by the FBI previously. Hmmm  anyone sense a pattern here. So start listing out the links of chain in all these events. Lack of LE to get involved correctly or handle the issue correctly, ease of access to a gun or other weapon, no mental health care safety net, no accountability, recidivism, hell the list can go on forever. The point is remove any link and like any other event the disaster is averted.

This is really not all that difficult to grasp the real issue is that the anti crowd likes to never waste a good tragedy. That means we do not have a recving ready audience. So we need to get the audience ready to listen before we can do anything else. I would applaud the person that figures out a way to get the anti gun crowd to listen to a reasonable layout of the causes.

Until the interaction and root cause analysis happens we are destined to jkust see more of these events as they are self feeding! In other words stupid is as stupid does on social media.

Let's say I don't think you need your car. I want to take it. You don't owe me a discussion about it. If I try to take it, I should expect serious repercussions. That is where I am right now on the gun debate.

• Like 2

So we don't want to have a discussion?

A discussion about what?

Guns?

They don't want to have a damn discussion, that was very obvious during the CNN/NRA hit piece..

The only thing these people want is to ban firearms, and restrict the Constitutional rights of millions of people that have done NOTHING WRONG..

They can all kiss my ass, I'm through having any "discussions" with these leftist marxist freaks...

Edited by Someotherguy
  • Like 6
  • Moderators

Got this text from a buddy whose wife teaches at a school in VA of about 2500 kids. Most just wanted out of class. Bit it will make for great tv and sound bites.

My wife said like maybe 10 students were serious for walk out but around 90% of the students walked out

7 hours ago, tercel89 said:

No , I am not talking about any of that. I am saying that I believe that kids announcing that they will be walking out of class all over the US will be making them more vulnerable for some idiot who wants to do the same thing as the other shooter did.

That's a rather hysterical argument that I would expect from Moms Demand Action.

Students walking out of class makes them no more vulnerable than at the end of class. Also, many schools have additional officers present during this walkout, so it is actually more safe.

I'm glad the schools here are on spring break this week. 

1 hour ago, TripleGGG said:

Got this text from a buddy whose wife teaches at a school in VA of about 2500 kids. Most just wanted out of class. Bit it will make for great tv and sound bites.

My wife said like maybe 10 students were serious for walk out but around 90% of the students walked out

Of course they just wanted out of class for a while. Assuming there weren't any repercussions, I would have too. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

So now we are going to let teenagers make policy decisions for our country?

The world has surely gone insane.

Been there for awhile. I got an app for my phone a few weeks ago to remind me to take my meds in time. When I was filling out the personal info, the gender selections were male, female, and other. Good thing I'm old.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

There has to be discussion. And if you aren’t involved in it decisions will be made without your input.

The kids just don’t want to be killed and we need to acknowledge that. They need adult input about what can be done; not what can’t be done.

I’m more than willing to have that conversation with anyone. I know a lot of things that need to be done; none involve disarming the people. Some involve expanded background checks. Do I think those expanded background checks will work? Absolutely not; but they can’t hurt, unless they are done by places like the TBI that can’t seem to get it right.

Is the liberal gun hating left going to use these kids to push their gun control agenda? Of course they are. That’s why these kids need to hear intelligent discussions from us instead of “You aren’t taking my guns!!”

• Like 5

Thanks Dave. I was about to just sign off permanently until you posted. Everyone here was sounding like the teenagers. We have a problem. Surely we're intelligent enough to come up with a reasonable solution.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Thanks Dave. I was about to just sign off permanently until you posted. Everyone here was sounding like the teenagers. We have a problem. Surely we're intelligent enough to come up with a reasonable solution.

Yep. But "reasonable" will involve compromise from both sides.  Neither seems terribly interested in that at the moment. Bitching and whining is so much easier.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
There has to be discussion. And if you aren’t involved in it decisions will be made without your input.
The kids just don’t want to be killed and we need to acknowledge that. They need adult input about what can be done; not what can’t be done.
I’m more than willing to have that conversation with anyone. I know a lot of things that need to be done; none involve disarming the people. Some involve expanded background checks. Do I think those expanded background checks will work? Absolutely not; but they can’t hurt, unless they are done by places like the TBI that can’t seem to get it right.
Is the liberal gun hating left going to use these kids to push their gun control agenda? Of course they are. That’s why these kids need to hear intelligent discussions from us instead of “You aren’t taking my guns!!”
Exactly. Kids and parents are scared. Rightfully so. Most are starving for answers and they are just following what they are being fed. They don't care about anybody's agendas. They want to feel and be safe.
  • Like 1

For those that are saying they want no discussion, do you then think we have reached the point of no return? That the Soap and ballot box are no more and the only box left is what is needed? I would like to thinkk we are noot quite that far gone.

So we should practice fair and respectful discourse with others as we would have them do with us perhaps? If we close our minds and mouths and say nothing more than "No" we have lost. I think there is more we can do myself and will continue to fight for our rights with all I can. We may yet reach the point where the bullet box is needed but we are not there yet!

• Like 1

I’m all for a discussion... as long as it doesn’t involve the Second Amendment. Non-negotiable, off the table. Otherwise the whole Constitution is up for discussion.

However, let’s talk about security, FBI tip failures, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, and mental institutions. There’s plenty that can be done and actually make a difference.

I am done hearing about a compromise on gun control. I didn’t even watch any of the protests today. It’s a political agenda aimed directly at the 2A, and I’m sick of it. 

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Raoul said:

That's what they said when they passed the NFA, where was their compromise?  All this talk of discussion fails to point out is that they will only be satisfied with us giving in.  Sorry, but not just no, but hell no .  When they get serious about addressing the real issues, then I'll listen. 

Without meaning to be so callous; a relative few kids get killed, by one of their own mind you, and it's us they want to disarm, the very people who would of risked their very lives to stop him??  If gun violence is such a big issue, why are they not sending in the National Guard into places like Chicago?  Why are they not (yet) targeting pistols?  Why are they not going straight after the highest percentage of people that are commiting violent crimes?  Why, because that is not in their agenda, they want control, and the only ones they can control with laws are those that are law abiding.  No law, ever, stopped a violent criminal, none.  So, let me know when they are ready for a meaningful discussion. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Yes, good to see this, Fudds finally paying attention because they are targeting them.  We need more gun owners to stand up against all unjust gun laws, not just the ones that affect them personally. 

I'm just as guilty of it sometimes, like today, I should have went to that dang rally, even if it was that far away..kinda ashamed of myself right about now.