Spring grillin - recipe share!!

MPGlock

So, spring is upon us and time to start the “real” grillin season (not that I don’t grill 3-4 nights a week all winter long anyway). But I found myself at a conundrum-I’ve run out of inspiration. I consider myself a semi-pro on the grill (backyard warrior maybe?) but just sick of doing the same ol thing. Hoping y’all can help. Here’s the deal - I’ll share my recipe below, in return you share yours. Fun thing is my general rule of thumb is if you change at minimum 2 ingredients in any recipe, it becomes yours. Case in point - the below I stole from Bobby Flay but modified a bit:

Marinated and stuffed flank steak with fennel and cabbage blue cheese slaw

For the steak:
*1 whole flank steak
*3 cloves garlic
*Half an onion (or 3 shallots)
*6-8 fresh basil leaves
*4-5 provolone cheese slices
*1/4-1/3 pounds prosciutto (can substitute thin sliced ham)
*Enough red wine to cover steak while marinating in shallow pan (generally half bottle. I’ve used everything from Chianti to Cabernet and it’s a matter of taste. Whatever your favorite red wine flavor is, use it. Just make sure whatever you marinate it in you have more of the same to drink with the meal [emoji51].
*salt and pepper to taste

For the slaw:

1-2 heads fresh fennel
1 head red cabbage
1/2-3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (can substitute feta as I realize blue is an acquired taste for some.
1/2 cup mayo
3 Tbs quality Apple cider vinegar
2-3 Tbs sugar (depends on how sweet you like your slaw dressing

Instructions

Butterfly the flank steak (you need a VERY sharp knife for this as flank steaks are thin to begin with). Take your time and try to get even thickness all the way through. Leave just enough attached so it opens like a book. Throw the steak in a shallow pan, toss in the onion and garlic then cover all with red wine until steak is just submerged. Marinate for 4 hours. Remove steak from marinade, open it like a book and layer the basil leaves, prosciutto, and provolone in 3 single layers. Close the flap over (basically you’ve sandwiched the basil, prosciutto, and provolone in the middle of the steak). Salt and pepper the whole thing. Cook on high heat grill (just like a normal steak) to desired doness (generally 8-10 minutes for rare to medium rare). Let rest for 5-10 min then slice against the grain (think slicing a brisket).

For slaw

I like to smoke the fennel and cabbage on a 225 degree smoker for about 15-20 min over apple wood, not required but really enhances the flavor
Shred the cabbage and just the white bulb part of the fennel into strips (think store bought cabbage mix). Mix mayo, apple cider vinegar and sugar together adding more or less vinegar as needed to get a good dressing consistency and more or less sugar for sweetness per taste preference. If too thick I’ve also found adding a bit of apple juice helps thin it out without adding more vinegar taste. Pour over shredded cabbage and fennel and mix to coat. Add in crumbled blue cheese to taste

There ya have it. When done right, it’s perfection....and again.....don’t forget the extra wine for when it’s ready!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Swanson Burger:
"It's a hamburger made out of meat on a bun with nothing. Add ketchup if you want, I couldn't care less"

I think I have that one already, I’ll have to look though [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1