New to Tn. Retired LEO

Hello fellow gun owners! I just retired (from a southern AZ PD) and relocated here with my wife. I am looking forward to some serious fishing & hunting as I unwind and adjust to a new chapter in my life. The hardest thing so far has been working on getting my HCP. (Should be easy since I am LEOSA certified, but I keep getting the government shuffle lol). The other adjustment has been the winter temps. 7 degrees??? WTH? :-)

Welcome. I see you chose the Cookeville area. It's very nice, much more crowded than it was 30 years ago when I was there. I think you'll like it. Convenient to your hunting and fishing wishes, and a few gun shops and ranges. 

As for the weather...get used to sudden changes. It's a fact of life around middle Tennessee.

We briefly considered the Cookeville area. Realtor said it was a big area for retired people that liked to golf.

Not sure what gov shuffle you're getting on the carry permit. Not sure if you qualify for any short cuts being retired LE but was a pretty simple process when I went through it 3 years ago. Found a convenient place to take the course, pre applied online before course and had all the post class stuff done in two days and was approved before 9pm. Took about 10 days to get my permit in the mail. 

Welcome to TGO

Welcome!  The HCP process is pretty straightforward and usually doesn't take too long.  The LEOSA process, on the other hand, in my opinion, can be.  Tennessee seems to make the process so difficult and seems to encourage retired LEOs to just use a HCP instead of LEOSA.  The guy at the state I talked to on the phone who ran the program and was affiliated with TN POST, flat out told me "to just get a HCP, thats what most retirees do!"  He then offered me a reduced cost TN only LEOSA qualification credential for A longer poeriod than the one year LEOSA qual document.  But that one is only good in TN.  Im not sure why they are this way.  Anyone else had better experiences, please share with us.

Cumberland county Sheriff runs a qualification course every year that they advertise on the radio. I had a certification card when I left NY but since I have no interest in visiting the libtard states that don't recognize a TN CP, its more trouble than its worth. Keep in mind a TN CP is good in 38 states. Get a life time permit for 300 and its done.

On 3/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, tacops said:

Welcome to Tennessee.  I to am retired Law Enforcement with my full career right here in East Tennessee.  I went with the HCP as opposed to jumping through the hoops of the retired officer carry.  

Welcome to the State of Tennessee!

Recently got my HCP and went through the class with a Deputy who is retiring soon.  The Sheriff's Department recommended he get his HCP as opposed to whatever it is the State does for retired officers.

Once you take your class, submit the form to the State along with your finger prints, it takes about 7 days to get your permit in the mail.  I was amazed at how fast it came!!!

On 3/17/2018 at 10:38 PM, Pain103 said:

The retired LE liftetime HCP cost is only $100. One and done well worth it. 

FYI - The $100 lifetime LEO is only if you were LEO in TN when you retired. There is currently a bill in legislation that if it passes will give the same discount to any LEO that retired while employed in a different state.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, Travelin Dan said:

FYI - The $100 lifetime LEO is only if you were LEO in TN when you retired. There is currently a bill in legislation that if it passes will give the same discount to any LEO that retired while employed in a different state.

which bill is that?  I want to track it...

• 2 weeks later...