Which Martin guitar model; D18 or D28?

Greg...

The thing with the guitar is the "what are ya gonna use it for" thing... My bunch (...not me...my youngin...) is pretty musical... Everything gets played here... The best thing is to play or have someone play 'em all... Pick the one you like... Ya got two great places there in Nashville... One is George Gruhn's pace, Gruhn's Guitars, the other is Carter Vintage Guitar right down the street... Ease on over there and take a look, and remember this; all guitars aint equal from any manufacturer... It's kinda like pickin a girlfriend or wife; pick the one you like...

For what it's worth, Joe has a Golden Era D18 that i think is out of this world... If ya are old enough to remember the great Earl Scruggs playin the gospel lead ins on the guitar; they were done with a D18... Probably a 1930's era one... A simple mahogany guitar with an adirondack (...red spruce...) top...

listenin leroy...

• Like 2

I play a Martin DX 1 that I've had for 16 years. Not by any means near the price for a D28 but it plays and sounds great. Just about anything that has C.F. Martin on the headstock will sound good. I would like to have one of the ones you are considering too however. Maybe someday....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Do you play well enough to justify a $3K guitar? If you do post up a YouTube Video so we can see. :D

I'm not sure how well that would be, but probably not. I'm certainly not computer savvy enough to figure out how to post a YouTube video.

I'm not a good enough shot to own a Colt Gold Cup National Match pistol either, but I still enjoy shooting it.:D

• Like 7
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I'm not sure how well that would be, but probably not. I'm certainly not computer savvy enough to figure out how to post a YouTube video.

I'm not a good enough shot to own a Colt Gold Cup National Match pistol either, but I still enjoy shooting it.:D

There’s a lot to be said for the feel of real quality in your hands. 

• Like 4

I am an electric guy. I own a few acoustics. I have zero anecdotal experience or expertise to offer here. I however am an advocate for buying a quality less expensive guitar and having it modified, finished and set up by a quality luthier. Being a hobbyist luthier, I have $100 guitars, that after the proper parts and work, play as well as $1500 guitars at half the price. But again, in the world of electrics, that is more easily said than with an acoustic.

I really like my Recording King Dirty 30s... A nut and bridge go a long way.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:57 PM, gregintenn said:

I am the same way. I bought an Ed Brown Kobra Karry because I wanted a nice, solid 1911.

Personally, I like the tonal quality of the Martins. That's not a secret even though my wife works for Gibson. :) 

• Like 3

Depends on purpose. For recording, the 18. It's not as boomy. Live, the 28. The boominess makes it better suited for that.

I will say, I have found for recording my DX1 is superb. Loud, balanced, and EQ flat is perfect. More affordable, too.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I am the same way. I bought an Ed Brown Kobra Karry because I wanted a nice, solid 1911.

Personally, I like the tonal quality of the Martins. That's not a secret even though my wife works for Gibson. :) 

What does she do? My late brother in law worked at the Custom Shop for years.

1 minute ago, Steelharp said:

What does she do? My late brother in law worked at the Custom Shop for years.

For lack of a better term, she's the Director of Shared Services in the corporate office without the title...yet. She manages Treasury, Accounts Payable, and Payroll departments. She anticipates them adding the Accounts Receivable department to her by the summer making it a true shared services unit.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
5 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

For lack of a better term, she's the Director of Shared Services in the corporate office without the title...yet. She manages Treasury, Accounts Payable, and Payroll departments. She anticipates them adding the Accounts Receivable department to her by the summer making it a true shared services unit.

It’s such a good feeling when you’re indispensable to a company.  

I haven’t kept up with the news regarding them like I should have.  Are their troubles finally behind them?

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It’s such a good feeling when you’re indispensable to a company.  

I haven’t kept up with the news regarding them like I should have.  Are their troubles finally behind them?

Short answer, no. I'll explain in PM.

• 4 months later...

The wife and I went to Sam Ash Music last night looking for my younger son a birthday present. I got to play a Martin D28, and was not at all impressed with it's sound. They didn't have a D18 in stock. I don't know if this particular guitar is a dud, or their quality isn't where is once was, but to my ear, my $300 Takemine sounds much better.

Anyway, while searching for the birthday present, I played a Taylor Big Baby.

https://www.samash.com/taylor-big-baby-taylor-acoustic-guitar-tbigbabym

Now I have his present. I didn't play all the guitars in the store, but the sound of this one was much better than any other I tried. It's thin neck and low action also made it very easy to play. I think he will be happy with it. If not, I'll let him pick one out and keep it for myself. I can't believe how much sound comes out of this little fella!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Today we went to Owensboro to the Bluegrass Hall of Fame and Museum. They have a room in there with a wall full of top shelf instruments you are welcome to pick up and play until your heart's content.

I found one I fell in love with. I swear it was marked Martin OM-38. I cannot find anything about that model with a google search. Perhaps it was an OM-28. They are pricey.

There was a young boy in there who could play any instrument in the room. I played with him for a while. He could sing too!

• Like 2