Shoulder Holster?

During the week, I wear a sport coat or suit. 

Having tried 7-9 o'clock iwb which I don't like and the necessity to be concealed has me shying away from owb.

My current solution is pocket or ankle carry a Kimber Micro .380. I can easily carry 2 extra mags, but in the event of a reload during a gunfight, I'd rather have more capacity.

Off work, I've got my trusty 75B. Yep, full size duty pistol, but I keep coming back to it.

Shoulder Holster popped into my brain as an alternative. Talk me out of it or help me with a rig.

Pistol options: 75B, P01, Glock 19 cut to a 26. Dare I ask about a "universal fit" system?

Edited by Gotthegoods
20 minutes ago, peejman said:

Seems like OWB would be perfect if you're wearing a coat all the time.  A nice looking, dark colored leather holster would blend in with a similar color belt pretty seamlessly. 

Maybe I'll try a test run next week.

I already use a G&G black leather belt, gun or no gun and have a safariland for the Omega and the comptac minimalist for the SDP.

Both are close riding paddles which almost require removing your pants to detach. I've read some negatives on paddle holster retention in a scuffle but confident with these two.

I have been considering a shoulder holster outfit for several years but can seem to find one I want. I want a tuxedo style harness with a vertical drop in holster and so far all I have found is horizontal holsters.................:wall:

I have worn shoulder rigs a great deal over the years.  I personally have never cared for IWB holsters although I have tried.  I like leather, I'm Ol' School I guess.  I never cared for ankle rigs.  I have several OWB high ride holsters that I like when appropriate but since you asked about shoulder rigs, I'll share my preference.  I have Galco, Bianchi, and Vega shoulder rigs that I like very well.  All of mine are horizontal holsters with the exception of the Bianchi X-15 for large frame revolvers which is vertical.  One of my favorites that is no longer made but can be found used is the Bianchi 9R-1 designed for small revolvers.  It is a bottom drop design that I really like for my Colt Detective Special.  It can be worn as a shoulder rig or removed from harness and worn on belt.  My first Galco was the Miami Classic I purchased in the 80s and is still in service.  It has a double mag pouch that offsets the weight of the weapon, as do most of those mentioned.  I have several of these for different weapons, although the design is the same I think they may have a different name now.  I recently found the Vega holsters that also offer multi use designs in that one shoulder rig can be used for OWB, LB, or Shoulder carry.  I have been very pleased with Vega and one of these is a go to rig for carrying my Bersa thunder.  Historically I have been a big Bianchi fan but over the years it seems that their quality has dropped.  Now when I seek Bianchi I tend to hit Ebay and holster bins in local shops and try to find the older manufactured goods.  Avoid nylon rigs and save yourself the disappointment. That is probably a whole lot more than you wanted to read, sorry, I got on a roll.

Edited by tacops
  • Like 3

Great post tacops!

I too had a Jackass (Miami Classic) rig way back when, around 1990 and could comfortably carry a full sized Beretta 92...but had to dress around the horizontal aspect of the rig. Solid comfortable and well built rig inho.

Ken Null still makes some excellent rigs similar to the 9r mentioned by tacops. I've tried a j-frame model Gomez used to own and it was nothing short of excellent. Very concealable and pretty darn quick. The link below should show several variations.

http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm

Have you considered a "bellyband" system? I've used one for many years worn slightly below belt level and even rigged one up with a Glock sport holster attached and could accommodate a G-26 or G19 securely. 

I too would shy away for universal fit conceptually designed holsters...except the bellyband with a few tweaks. 

• Like 1