Identify theft question

I was the unfortunate victim of identity theft.

They got my name, address, phone # and Debit Card #

Luckly, Visa's fraud team caught it before they charged too much. They got me for $170+ for 5 transaction in 1 hour.

Weird part is, I got 2 of the orders in the mail. Why would the thieves send stuff to my home address? They even had my correct phone#

The other purchases they made were for online media and downloads.

I rarely ever use my debit card. Only for gas and occasional other purchases. I have no idea how they got all this information?

Only online purchase I have ever made with it was to advanced auto parts. I'm completely lost how they got my information?

I am almost afraid to go to the mail box at this point. Who know what else I'll get billed for???????

Spent all day calling Credit Reporting and Bank trying to  freezing and block all credit attempts.

This suck...I hope no has to experience this.....ever.

Sounds more like your card got skimmed instead of identity theft.  It has happened twice to my wife. The first time they got about 100 at a walgreens and the second time they got 600 cash from an atm withdrawal. Both time we got our money back from the bank. 

Once your our card is cancelled you should be fine. Just keep an eye on your account for the next couple of days. 

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1

My debit card kept getting unauthorized charges, my bank would catch it, cancel my card then send me a new one.  Mostly it's inconvenient, I've not lost a cent but now I use a credit card and haven't had an issue yet, but I keep an eye out just in case.

My info has been stolen a few times so I have credit monitoring, but that hasn't stopped the debit card stuff.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, TnShooter83 said:

I was the unfortunate victim of identity theft.

They got my name, address, phone # and Debit Card #

Luckly, Visa's fraud team caught it before they charged too much. They got me for $170+ for 5 transaction in 1 hour.

Weird part is, I got 2 of the orders in the mail. Why would the thieves send stuff to my home address? They even had my correct phone#

The other purchases they made were for online media and downloads.

I rarely ever use my debit card. Only for gas and occasional other purchases. I have no idea how they got all this information?

Only online purchase I have ever made with it was to advanced auto parts. I'm completely lost how they got my information?

I am almost afraid to go to the mail box at this point. Who know what else I'll get billed for???????

Spent all day calling Credit Reporting and Bank trying to  freezing and block all credit attempts.

This suck...I hope no has to experience this.....ever.

Were you part of the Equifax fiasco? That might be a good place to start. You're doing the right thing by putting a credit freeze in place. 

People are suing them in small claims court and winning. I'm seriously considering it. Congress has done absolutely nothing to hold them accountable. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/people-successfully-suing-equifax-almost-10000-app-193607932.html

I use a debt card quite often and I guess I have been lucky cause I have never had an issue with it yet. My bank put's all my purchases on my debit card in processing for 3 days to give me time to accept or deny the charge so I check my account every day to see what is on it.

As far as the crooks sending 2 of the purchases to your house. Your debit card probably did that automatically because the crooks could not use their home address and didn't have another address they could send them to. As far as your information being secret. Not this day in time! Your information is almost a matter of public record these days. It's like you probably have no clue how many times you appear on a camera somewhere. If you got out your door of your house your probably on someones camera. Neighbors, depending on where you live, the apartment complex and lets not forget NASA. You can walk out your back door and sit and drink a cup of coffee on your deck and NASA can watch every sip you take. I have told a few friends that and they go into panick mode. I quit worrying about it years ago cause I don't plan on breaking any laws plus nothing I can do about it anyway.

Some people think just because they have moved out into the deep wilderness and have no modern items like cell phone. electricity, city water and they live primarily off the land that they are off the grid. Good luck with that!!The MAN knows where your at if he wants you bad enough.............JMHO

I have had my car skimmed twice in the last few months. Both times the charges started appearing days after I got fuel at a Murphy Oil. It wasn't hard to figure out how and where. The first time the bank caught it after $1000 in charges, they refunded it immediately, cancelled the card and shipped me a new one. The second time I caught it after a few hundred, called the bank and cancelled my card and waited a week to get my money refunded.

I deal in cash now on my very rare trips to get fuel.