Sign in to follow this  
click23

Zoo Knoxville

Zoo Knoxville has new signs up at the main entrance that comply with TCA 39-17-1359.  However, since the zoo is in Chilhowee Park, which is defined as "public assembly facility" and not a "park" by the city of Knoxville, the zoo would fall under section "g" of the aforementioned code. Section "g" would require everyone entering to pass though a medal detector, with a trained operator, and that all bags would have to be searched, none of which are present at the enterance.  Since the zoo is not complying with with the section "g" it is my contention that the signs do not apply to anyone with a handgun carry permit, though the signs would still apply to anyone without a permit.

Link to TCA 39-17-1359:

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=08880f30-024d-4a0b-a6c8-8b77567a766c&nodeid=ABNAAOAANABL&scrollreferenceid=&config=025054JABlOTJjNmIyNi0wYjI0LTRjZGEtYWE5ZC0zNGFhOWNhMjFlNDgKAFBvZENhdGFsb2cDFQ14bX2GfyBTaI9WcPX5&pddocfullpath=%2fshared%2fdocument%2fstatutes-legislation%2furn%3acontentItem%3a50J2-V4S0-R03M-D4H3-00008-00&ecomp=-kc_kkk&prid=51b62872-f3f0-4b19-85f3-7e8cb5976912

• Like 1

You are technically, probably right. However, after two lawsuits, the upshot was this:

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/01/31/knoxville-nra-settle-suit-against-gun-ban-in-chilhowee-park

Note that the Zoo itself was not mentioned in the settlement. First of all, they don't seem to claim that the Zoo is part of Chilhoweee Park if you go to official website for it. They probably claim that it is contracted out to private biz or somesuch, so doesn't fall under actual city government or something, dunno.

Call the city attorney, see what he claims or something?

- OS

I visited the Zoo on Saturday. It was my first time in nearly 20 years and I was quickly reminded why. 

Anyways, the signs were not very obvious in my opinion. I had to look for them for a bit before they were spotted. There was zero security present. I never saw a single uniformed officer or even anyone wearing a security uniform. This place is an active shooters wet dream IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I visited the Zoo on Saturday. It was my first time in nearly 20 years and I was quickly reminded why. 

Anyways, the signs were not very obvious in my opinion. I had to look for them for a bit before they were spotted. There was zero security present. I never saw a single uniformed officer or even anyone wearing a security uniform. This place is an active shooters wet dream IMO. 

We were there a couple of years ago and I told my wife that exact thing. 

On 11/23/2018 at 4:36 PM, chances R said:

If I recall, contracted out cannot circumvent the law or intent.  That was in some AG opinion.  Will see if I can dig it up.  

chances R, did you find anything on this?

The way I see it, the property is merely public property owned by the city, whether one can call it a "park" or not. It's not one of the types of places off-limits under state law.

Just because the city contracts with a private company to manage it doesn't make it "private property".

Has anyone gotten a copy of the contract? 

I'm surprised they haven't been sued yet. Are any gun-rights groups there doing anything about these violations of state law?

Has anyone with a permit ever been excluded or ejected from the Zoo while carrying openly? I know most people conceal, and that's fine, but open carry is the only way you'll know for sure whether they are following state law.