I met Cruel Hand Luke in person...

... and he walked right up and hit me in the gut.  It's true.  There may even be photographic evidence.

Nice to meet you, Randy.  Your class seemed well received.  I did have to give a little side eye to the one student I overheard telling you that your's was her favorite class of the conference as that student was also in mine.  :)

• Like 3

I’m not gonna lie..... I’m absolutely guilty as charged.... in fact I muzzle punched him with my Glock ....it just happened to be a non firing 17R to see if I could knock it out of battery as a demo showing why you don’t want to thrust the gun into your opponent when in a clinch. 

In all seriousness though, Lee was a HUGE help by risking life and limb as a safety officer working the line during my block of instruction on Sunday morning at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference at DARC (Direct Action Resource Center) in Little Rock Arkansas. I taught a block on close quarters shooting called Point Blank Pistol Skills that involved a lot of fast close shooting much of which was done while in physical contact with the plastic TAC MAN targets we used. I can’t thank him enough for volunteering to come over and help make sure we had plenty of experienced safety officers watching the line. 

And in his own right Lee is a talented multi time instructor at Tac Con doing blocks this year in Social Levergun and a block called Defensive Pistol Skills Builder . So if you get a chance to catch a class with him take it ! 

Thanks again Lee, hopefully we’ll get a chance to work together again some time !

• Like 3

Congrats to both of you gentlemen! Teaching at the Conference is quite an honor and demonstrates the respect and confidence you've earned among your peers. 

And That sounds just like something CHL would do Lee! ;)

We do need to see that photographic evidence at some point Sir...

Congrats again gentlemen.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

In all seriousness though, Lee was a HUGE help by risking life and limb as a safety officer working the line during my block of instruction on Sunday morning at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference at DARC (Direct Action Resource Center) in Little Rock Arkansas. I taught a block on close quarters shooting called Point Blank Pistol Skills that involved a lot of fast close shooting much of which was done while in physical contact with the plastic TAC MAN targets we used. I can’t thank him enough for volunteering to come over and help make sure we had plenty of experienced safety officers watching the line. 

I went to the truck and got a second trauma kit.  :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tiffany Johnson said:

Tac Con matchmaking! Yay! emoji3.png And yes, there is indeed photographic evidence of said muzzle punch...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Everyone straighten up and behave Tiffany’s coming....... :eek:  Just kidding . Tiffany was the hardest working woman in the tactical world last week and she deserves all the thanks in the world for making the Tac Con run smoothly. She’s my logistical hero.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

A pic of the crew that worked my block.....L-R Mike Swisher, Me, Scott Stewart, Lee Weems, Adam Gochenaur. Lee was NOT going to get shot because of not being seen.....;)

IMG_8439.JPG

Don't shoot the big yellow object!!

• Like 1
Hey Aqil, I seriously considered calling you guys about catching dinner in Nashville on Sunday night but I ended up deciding on driving all the way back to Chattanooga that night and if I'd stopped for dinner I'd have stayed in Nashville...... 

Hey Randy, next time you’re falling thru gimme a holla!
  • 3 months later...

Well with a name like Cruel what did you expect? 😉

Okay now in all seriousness....Just a quick reminder  for those who didn't go back and read the earlier posts in the thread and have no clue for the context... this was NOT in anyway unsafe.   It is NOT a live gun . 

I repeat it was NOT a live gun. 

It is a Glock 17R (https://us.glock.com/products/model/g17r) which is Glock's non firing trigger resetting training pistol that allows you to cycle dummy rounds through  the action, insert and eject magazines, and get multi round dry fire without having to cycle the action each time.

But it CAN NOT fire live rounds. 

And this was a controlled environment with several extremely well trained and accomplished instructors monitoring the  environment for safety.  This was at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference in a class I was teaching called Point Blank Pistol Skills. Lee was assisting along with Mike Swisher and Adam Gochenour  (also in the video) and Scott Stewart who is not visible in the video. 

The point of that particular exhibition was that pushing an auto pistol into your opponent in a clinch can cause the gun to be knocked out of battery and then not be able to fire. Not a good thing when fighting for your life. You can also end up hitting them hard enough to induce a malfunction. Also not good when fighting for your life. IIRC we also did a demo of me pushing it into him and the trigger not "clicking" because the slide was pushed out of battery. While this looks dangerous it is ALL safe because it is a training pistol that by design can not fire live ammo because there is no hole in the breech face for the firing pin to hit a primer. It is essentially a "blue gun" with moving parts.

So don't read anything more into the video than what it is ...It is one experienced professional instructor with a NON FIRING TRAINING PISTOL demonstrating with another experienced professional  instructor why in a fight for your life at touching distance you don't want to shove the gun into your opponent....while yet another experienced professional instructor watches for potential safety issues...while yet 2 more instructors also monitor the environment for safety.  

Just wanted to clear that up for those who have only been exposed to basic NRA safety protocols and might jump to conclusions that are not valid conclusions to jump to after seeing a 3 second "snapshot in time " of a longer demonstration and lecture.

No instructors, students, or animals were harmed in the delivery of the lecture or in the taking of the pics that led to the  making of the video. Some people may have gotten their feelings hurt...but there were no physical injuries.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 1
On 7/6/2018 at 7:17 PM, jlw said:

Hi, I’m Randy and I’m going to gut punch you.

Lee thinking to himself...."Hmm I might now be reconsidering volunteering for this....."

As Mike Swisher thinks.... "Finally...at least it's not me this time that he's "demonstrating" on  ".....

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

As Mike Swisher thinks.... "Finally...at least it's not me this time that he's "demonstrating" on  ".....

Now I know why he was pointing and snickering, but then again, it could have been all of the other legit reasons to point and snicker at me.  :)

• Haha 1
On 7/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Okay now in all seriousness....Just a quick reminder  for those who didn't go back and read the earlier posts in the thread and have no clue for the context... this was NOT in anyway unsafe.   It is NOT a live gun . 

I repeat it was NOT a live gun. 

Thanks, Randy. I should have included this in my original post. My bad. 

But it was just so funny I was distracted... 😉 

No worries Tiff,  but as we all know on the web we just have to be careful that people don’t see a “snapshot in time “and make invalid assumptions based on something they don’t have any first hand knowledge of. 

But having said that , I’m glad you got the shot of “Hi I’m Randy and I’m going to gut punch you”. 😁

• Like 1