How far along is the SCCy plact in Maryville?

Ray Z

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Moderators
20 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What's the latest?  Based on this there is word that something is happening:

There are also several job listing for SCCY in Maryville on indeed.com.

I can’t even find an address for the joint.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SCCY is currently making parts in leased space very near their intended final location. I believe final assembly is still in Daytona.   I learned that a couple weeks ago. The plan I heard was they'd begin work on a permanent facility late this year or early next year. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/ceo-gun-maker-no-longer-planning-to-build-blount-cty-plant/51-c761aa28-aaf9-42ca-988d-6cc24986ebca

MARYVILLE, Tenn. — The founder and CEO of a gun manufacturing company now won't build a plant in Maryville.

Three years ago SCCY Industries announced amid fanfare from the state plans to build a center in Big Springs Industrial Park that was to include its corporate offices and its primary manufacturing operations.

CEO Joe Roebuck told 10News business conditions have since changed and he'll move the firm back to Florida.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, peejman said:

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/ceo-gun-maker-no-longer-planning-to-build-blount-cty-plant/51-c761aa28-aaf9-42ca-988d-6cc24986ebca

MARYVILLE, Tenn. — The founder and CEO of a gun manufacturing company now won't build a plant in Maryville.

Three years ago SCCY Industries announced amid fanfare from the state plans to build a center in Big Springs Industrial Park that was to include its corporate offices and its primary manufacturing operations.

CEO Joe Roebuck told 10News business conditions have since changed and he'll move the firm back to Florida.

I think this writing has been on the wall for a while. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Moving back? So… they moved their entire operation to the rented facility here?

It would be really interesting to know what the incentive to move back to Florida is. Of course, we probably will never find that out.

They moved part of their operation. They were making parts across the street from where I work. I guess those folks are likely out of a job. 

Its a business that employs a substantial number of people in a town that exists because of tourism. In today's climate, I'd presume Daytona gave him whatever he wanted to not move those jobs. 

Also, Maryville just finished a fancy new access  road adjacent to the property he bought here. The city has started marketing property along that road, so I suspect he think he might make a few bucks if he can sell it before his balloon payment is due. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:35 PM, Fourtyfive said:

I think it was just good weed after landing in the USA. Wait, Beatles landed in the USA in 1964, that song was 1967. My bad....

Yep, probably LSD. The hip thing back then was to hang out with the Maharaja. I would've had to been high to do that.

From the WBIR article. 

"The property, part of an incentive to open in Blount County, will return to the Blount Partnership"

So basically, the deal was never even really done or else he would own it. I am guessing he got some up front cash and has burned through all that. 

Makes me wonder if they published that on 9/11 to lower itsimpact. Also which politician benefited from the original announcement of job creation.