Scientific American-Why Are White Men Are Stockpiling Guns

Jerry Adam Smith, the author, is an idiot!

On the way home from work this evening, my wife calls and says a man evading police left his truck right in front of our house. I live in a very rural area, and the police were gone when I got home.

Where's the guy? Who knows.

Who wouldn't be glad to have a gun in case he decides he wants my truck to get away in? Nobody I know.

Gregintenn......religious, not racist white guy.

• Like 3

I am not racist.

I keep guns to shoot any color a$$hole that tries to harm me or my family. You could be as purple as Barney and I wouldn't worry about it on any normal day, let alone fear you more when I need to ventilate you to protect my family. 

If some white guys fear a black, asian, or latino man more than another white guy, they have already set themselves up for failure.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

On the way home from work this evening, my wife calls and says a man evading police left his truck right in front of our house. I live in a very rural area, and the police were gone when I got home.

WOW, hoping everything is OK.

41 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Now I'm worried, what if one hoards knives by GT? @GranTorino

You and me both.

I like most keep firearms for protection, target shooting, and food if needed.

• Like 1

It is said that there are three types of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics.  That is because 'statistics' can be warped to mean whatever foks want them to mean.  I look at the article this way:

1. Non-Hispanic 'white' people are still the largest group in this country.  About 63%.  Who knows if this study counted only non-Hispanic whites.  If not the number is even bigger.  So the idea that more guns might be owned by the group that makes up the majority of the population is kind of a, "No, duh," statement.

2. When it comes to hunting, more men hunt than women.  When it comes to protecting the family (going to check out the cause behind that bump in the night, etc.) the fact is that if a man is present such responsibilities will usually fall to him.  Therefore, due to both factors, the idea that more men might purchase firearms than women is also kind of a, "No, duh," statement and I would say it has pretty much always been that way in every county on earth where firearms are bought and sold ever since firearms started being bought and sold (of course that doesn't mean that the ladies of the family don't know how to use said firearms, just in case.)

So, the idea that the gender most likely to use firearms in the race that is by far the largest, single racial group in the country would own the majority of the firearms is just common sense, really.  Of course, common sense based on the numbers and traditional roles isn't good enough when some idiot lefty can find yet another reason to criticize or belittle the evil, straight white male.

More nonsense in the article:

But Stroud also discovered another motivation: racial anxiety. “A lot of people talked about how important Obama was to get a concealed-carry license: ‘He’s for free health care, he’s for welfare.’

So, where was race mentioned in that statement?  Is this Stroud or the author of the article simply assuming that welfare recipients are all non-whites?  If so then that seems kinda, well, racist, to me.

Edited by JAB

My wife and I laughed at this article. What a sad statement on the liberal mind set. One interesting thing that was left out was black on black gun crime. He mentions white on white and white on black but where was the biggest one of all. Also, was this for legally owned guns only. What about all those guns in the south side of Chicago and other areas that are used in black on black crimes where they are not legally allowed to own them?

22 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Jerry Adam Smith, the author, is an idiot!

Who wouldn't be glad to have a gun in case he decides he wants my truck to get away in? Nobody I know.

Gregintenn......religious, not racist white guy.

You got that right! Not mentioning all the church / school shootings going on, recently we had our own little rural fiasco. A guy robs our little local market / gas station and three customers in a stolen car. While inside a county deputy sheriff drives by and sees the stolen car. The bad man forces a woman inside the country store to drive her car to the door as the sheriff was looking at the stolen car, by threat of killing someone if she didn't. 

The guy runs out and the long chase is on. It ended with him wrecking and running to a country home trying to break down the door to get in. Little did he know the man inside just returned from deer hunting and had his deer rifle trained on the door. He couldn't break in and was surrounded by the police, so he fatally shot himself in the head.

You're not even safe in the sticks anymore... 

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

You got that right! Not mentioning all the church / school shootings going on, recently we had our own little rural fiasco. A guy robs our little local market / gas station and three customers in a stolen car. While inside a county deputy sheriff drives by and sees the stolen car. The bad man forces a woman inside the country store to drive her car to the door as the sheriff was looking at the stolen car, by threat of killing someone if she didn't. 

The guy runs out and the long chase is on. It ended with him wrecking and running to a country home trying to break down the door to get in. Little did he know the man inside just returned from deer hunting and had his deer rifle trained on the door. He couldn't break in and was surrounded by the police, so he fatally shot himself in the head.

You're not even safe in the sticks anymore... 

I'm sure glad he didn't get that door kicked in with all those police officers out side the door cause the guy with the deer rifle in the house probably would have got arrested.  Charged with over-kill of a bad guy. Charged him with using to big a gun to protect his home and himself from harm!!!

• Like 1