Back Ground checks????

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so sometimes I have to ask questions. I keep hearing and reading all these anti-gun people screaming for back ground checks. Every time I have purchased a gun from any retail outlet, licensed Gun store etc they run a back ground check on me before they will allow me to purchase a firearm. JUst what BACK GROUND CHECKS are these anti-gun people wanting since I go through one everytime I purchase a gun. Someone please explain this to me. Thanks You for your help.

Bersaguy 

28 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I assume they are targeting private sales. If I wanted to sell you a firearm and we both live in TN and are able to legally own a firearm... then there is no background check required under current law(s).

If that is their goal it is going to be an almost impossible task to get done. That would require one HELL of an honor system if they think every time someone wants to sell a gun to another local person it would mean they would both have to make a trip to an FF dealer, pay FFL fees and back ground check fees. I just don't see that happening. I can kind of understand the closing the loop hole at gun shows on parking lot sales. The seller has no clue if he is selling a gun to a wanted felon where in a local FTF a seller can require ID, HCP, and bill of sale that is not done at Gun Show parking lot sales. Thing is if a wanted dangerous felon wants a gun they will get one some how some way. I just don't see the anti-gun people getting that type of background check passed..................JMHO

• Like 1

Realize also these "Kids" have no idea how it really works and are just spouting back the vitirol they are getting from the Anti Gun leaders. So they get told theree are gun show loopholes and no need for BGC everytime and all of the sudden the sky is falling. Even if there were BGCs for each purchase with the system not working it still would make no difference. They cannot or will not see the logic so it is not going to do any good to address the issue with them. Time for us to start a campaign of what it really is and get our message out there.

Just now, bersaguy said:

If that is their goal it is going to be an almost impossible task to get done. That would require one HELL of an honor system if they think every time someone wants to sell a gun to another local person it would mean they would both have to make a trip to an FF dealer, pay FFL fees and back ground check fees. I just don't see that happening. I can kind of understand the closing the loop hole at gun shows on parking lot sales. The seller has no clue if he is selling a gun to a wanted felon where in a local FTF a seller can require ID, HCP, and bill of sale that is not done at Gun Show parking lot sales. Thing is if a wanted dangerous felon wants a gun they will get one some how some way. I just don't see the anti-gun people getting that type of background check passed..................JMHO

This can be fixed very easily by letting any citizen run the check for every sale. No records other than a receipt saying it was done, no serial numbers, models, makes, no other information. Something along those lines that is not making it harder to do than it is now. Now we get those on both sides of the issue going to argue it is either too invasive or not invasive enough. 

However, if we do not fix the system first it will not make a bit of difference.

13 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

This can be fixed very easily by letting any citizen run the check for every sale. No records other than a receipt saying it was done, no serial numbers, models, makes, no other information. Something along those lines that is not making it harder to do than it is now. Now we get those on both sides of the issue going to argue it is either too invasive or not invasive enough. 

However, if we do not fix the system first it will not make a bit of difference.

There should be an app for that...

Just now, peejman said:

There should be an app for that...

I am an IT geek and work on communication systems. It would be very simple and easy on the front end user interface. The hard part is the government systems that do not talk to each other. And remeber, any Database is only as good as the data it has input. Part of the problems is the lack of data in these databases. If they got that right it would make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

I am an IT geek and work on communication systems. It would be very simple and easy on the front end user interface. The hard part is the government systems that do not talk to each other. And remeber, any Database is only as good as the data it has input. Part of the problems is the lack of data in these databases. If they got that right it would make a huge difference.

The 2 key sentences in this post is: " The hard part is the government systems that do not talk to each other." Part of the problems is the lack of data in these databases. These two issues right here could have prevented the school shooting in Florida but because of these 2 sentences the shooter was able to carry it out. The Anti-gun people want to blame to in-animated (GUN) for their failure to their own systems not working! I was under the impression that the Department of Homeland Security was developed and put into action to correct this exact problem and get these Alphabet Federal Departments Communicating but I have not seen the Department of Homeland Security do squat to correct this problem and because of their inability to do their job it always comes back to the in-animated object (GUN) is at fault.....................JMHO

4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

The 2 key sentences in this post is: " The hard part is the government systems that do not talk to each other." Part of the problems is the lack of data in these databases. These two issues right here could have prevented the school shooting in Florida but because of these 2 sentences the shooter was able to carry it out. The Anti-gun people want to blame to in-animated (GUN) for their failure to their own systems not working! I was under the impression that the Department of Homeland Security was developed and put into action to correct this exact problem and get these Alphabet Federal Departments Communicating but I have not seen the Department of Homeland Security do squat to correct this problem and because of their inability to do their job it always comes back to the in-animated object (GUN) is at fault.....................JMHO

And the sad part is this could be fixed fairly easily. It is sad that any citizen of this v country will ever vote for any current politician again. They should all be charged as accomplices in my opinion. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, n0rlf said:

And the sad part is this could be fixed fairly easily. It is sad that any citizen of this v country will ever vote for any current politician again. They should all be charged as accomplices in my opinion. 

Yep and they are all up there in DC for three things! Money, Power and Control. Doing something for the people that elected is a NO NO unless they will make money off of it, Get more power from it and have complete control of it. I look for it to get a whole lot worse before it gets better because the present group of Millinums have an exact Zero clue on what their doing and right now they seem to be gaining control and power quick! I am glad I am old and maybe I won't be alive when they finally destroy the Country I love............JMHO

• Like 1

Background checks are nothing more than yet another tax on something not supported by our government officials. If I passed the last 100+ NICS checks I've submitted, I'll likely pass the next one, yet they still want that $10.

About the only way I see them "improving" NICS is raising the fee from $10 to $20, $50, or $100.

• Like 1

The gun control people want California style laws to apply to all gun sales nationwide which means that all sales/transfers go through a gun dealer.  There is also a ten day waiting period in California when you buy or transfer a gun.  All handguns and now long guns are supposed to be registered out there too with the state.  That is what this Moms Demand Action group want nationwide when they ask for 'background checks'.    

They would necessarily need to keep a database of all sales, just look at Pennsylvania. The state police keep a "sales" database instead of a registry. 

Just think of the money they will bank and the jobs they will add to the government too. It's win win for them. And lose lose for us. 

On 3/23/2018 at 12:59 PM, bersaguy said:

There is no such thing as a “Gun Show Loophole”.

That is the anti-gunners name for a private sale. Whether it be at a gun show, off a forum, or walking down the street the seller can ask for ID and a bill of sale. Nothing ever requires a seller to not ask to see ID and nothing ever releases them from the responsibility to abide by both state and federal laws.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

There is no such thing as a “Gun Show Loophole”.

That is the anti-gunners name for a private sale. Whether it be at a gun show, off a forum, or walking down the street the seller can ask for ID and a bill of sale. Nothing ever requires a seller to not ask to see ID and nothing ever releases them from the responsibility to abide by both state and federal laws.

We all know that. Problem is the anti's use the term. Just like AR assault rifle or clip vs magazine. Get over there terminology and learn something maybe. Of course that requires a modicum of logical thinking ability do yeah maybe not after all. 

Universal background checks is the Trojan Horse...the end game is a gun registry to facilitate eventual confiscation.  The only way to implement and enforce UBC (ensure nobody is selling without a UBC) is for the Gubment to know what everybpdy owns. 

9 hours ago, i1afli said:

Universal background checks is the Trojan Horse...the end game is a gun registry to facilitate eventual confiscation.  The only way to implement and enforce UBC (ensure nobody is selling without a UBC) is for the Gubment to know what everybpdy owns. 

Which is why the bgc system should not all for serial numbers. Does it matter what the serial number or type of gun the bgc is being ran for? 

Of course not, so why is it there? Kind of like why we have restrictions on where we can carry. If I am trusted to carry with a permit anywhere why is it restricted anywhere? I get prisons and courtrooms and the like but anything else should be ok. Just another feel good do nothing law that criminals do not care about. 

Bottom line is the gun haters that are brainwashing people into removing all funds from civilians. Period. They love in a Utopia works where they think this can actually work. If they really cared about the people and kids involved in the violence they would address the root cause. They don't care and use the gun control as a distraction technique. 

To do otherwise would just prove their ideas on educating the kids and controlling the population failed 

• Like 1

You should be able to show your HCP to the guy, pay your money & go your way. You've already passed a background check.

"If" you have committed a crime that would disqualify you, it should have already been turned

in to the State, and your permit revoked/suspended. Problem is many of the court clerks are not turning these records in. This is negligence on their part, not ours. HCP holders pay the price for their laziness. Until there is a major penalty for not doing this, it will continue.

JMHO

• Like 1
7 hours ago, n0rlf said:

Which is why the bgc system should not all for serial numbers. Does it matter what the serial number or type of gun the bgc is being ran for? 

Of course not, so why is it there?

You realize the serial number is not transmitted to NICS, right? Feds don't run stolen gun check during background check. But it's there so that the gun can be traced to a certain extent at least down the road if necessary.

TICS however, does run the serial number during the check.

3 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

You should be able to show your HCP to the guy, pay your money & go your way. You've already passed a background

Take that up with our GOP super majority state legislature. It's fine with the feds. But of course the FBI doesn't get ten clams a pop, like the TBI does.

- OS

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

You realize the serial number is not transmitted to NICS, right? Feds don't run stolen gun check during background check. But it's there so that the gun can be traced to a certain extent at least down the road if necessary.

TICS however, does run the serial number during the check.

Take that up with our GOP super majority state legislature. It's fine with the feds. But of course the FBI doesn't get ten clams a pop, like the TBI does.

- OS

Yep! Therein lies the rub. $10, the State is not going to do without easily.