Justice Department to ban bump stocks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-department-to-ban-bump-stocks/ar-BBKCqeI?li=BBnb7Kz

The Justice Department is proposing rule changes that will effectively ban bump stocks, devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire like a machine gun, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Friday.

"After the senseless attack in Las Vegas, this proposed rule is a critical step in our effort to reduce the threat of gun violence that is in keeping with the Constitution and the laws passed by Congress," Sessions said in a statement.

Sessions has been a defender of the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment, which protects the right to bear arms.

Gunman Stephen Paddock used a bump stock in a massacre last October that killed 58 people and wounded hundreds of others at a music festival in Las Vegas.

Authorities said Paddock’s ability to fire hundreds of rounds per minute over a 10-minute period from his 32nd-floor hotel suite was a major factor in the high casualty count.

In February, President Donald Trump signed a memorandum directing the Justice Department to make the regulatory change.

"As I promised, today the Department of Justice will issue the rule banning BUMP STOCKS with a mandated comment period," Trump said on Twitter as the announcement was made. "We will BAN all devices that turn legal weapons into illegal machine guns."

The National Rifle Association, the most powerful U.S. gun lobby, supported more regulation of bump stocks but has not endorsed Trump's ban and said previously it was awaiting the publication of the regulation before rendering judgment.

The Justice Department announcement comes as hundreds of thousands of Americans are expected to rally nationwide on Saturday for tighter gun laws in "March For Our Lives" protests led by survivors of the Florida school massacre, which reiginited the debate over Americans' access to guns.

Students from the Parkland, Florida, high school where 17 students and staff were killed on Feb. 14 will be among the 500,000 people who organizers say could rally on Pennsylvania Avenue near the Capitol in Washington.

So one guy out of 320+ million supposedly used a bump stock to murder people Andes ban it ?!?

just wait till the CDC uncovers the amount of shootings that occur with a handgun with their new found financing. 

The full notice of proposed rule making is worth reading. There will be no grandfather clause! There will be no compensation for lost property value! This rewriting of the NFA by executive fiat would impact an estimated 520,000 bump fire stocks or over $96 million in private property being outlawed (both are ATF estimates). Ironically, this rule does not outlaw the use of a belt loop for bump firing.

As for the NRA's statement, they never stated how to regulate bump stocks without banning them. The current law does not allow the executive branch to regulate bump stocks without banning them. The NRA asked for this ban without calling it as such!

For those that believed (or still believe) that this is some great strategy by the NRA and the WH to get national reciprocity or silencers off the NFA, check mate. The NRA was playing chess while you were playing checkers. They just weren't playing your game.

This bump stock ban will be challenged by the Firearms Policy Coalition, who already retained attorneys Joshua Prince and Adam Kraut for this. Adam Kraut is a candidate for this year's NRA Board of Directors election! It is unclear if the NRA itself will do anything about this ban, other than chest thumping and fund drives.

Edited by scooter

Reactive legislation at it's finest. Paddock and Cruz were both ill in different ways. Paddock was probably Bi Polar and Cruz is clearly Autistic. Paddock had a pretty good run on life but refused treatment which would have been a small inconvenience that amounted to taking a medication. Cruz on the other hand had an issue combined with being dealt a bad hand in the blood family department that was never going away. Banning bump stocks will not help frustrated angry and overwhelmed people ever. Life is a lot like a checking account. If you don't put much in you won't get much out. Sunfish       

These topics are more enjoyable now that I have discovered the ignore button. 

As for the ban I see a court battle coming with a quick injection against enforcement until the Supremes can have their say. 

Might be a ploy to say see we did try! 

Problem is still the same no matter what game they play. Get rid of all of the career politician and lobbyists. That is where we need to concentrate. Vote for anyone other than an incumbent.  Even if you have to hold your nose. Get rid of the ruling class and we might be able to see change. 

The bump stock is a toy. It has no practical purpose. I'm okay with them being banned. I would have been okay with them being banned years ago. I realize this will be an unpopular position here, but whatever. I've looked at them in gun shows years ago, watched the videos, and thought, "That's a toy. It's a stupid waste of ammo." My opinion hasn't changed over the years. 

16 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

The bump stock is a toy. It has no practical purpose. I'm okay with them being banned. I would have been okay with them being banned years ago. I realize this will be an unpopular position here, but whatever. I've looked at them in gun shows years ago, watched the videos, and thought, "That's a toy. It's a stupid waste of ammo." My opinion hasn't changed over the years. 

I agree on the uselessness of them, but not on the banning of them.  Who are we to tell others what to have fun with.  I also view those exploding targets as dangerous exploding toys, but would not want them banned. Same goes for many firearms out there to one sector or another, do we really want to go down that road?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Omega said:

I agree on the uselessness of them, but not on the banning of them.  Who are we to tell others what to have fun with.  I also view those exploding targets as dangerous exploding toys, but would not want them banned. Same goes for many firearms out there to one sector or another, do we really want to go down that road?

We don't need any bans. But we really are talking about something that is unique in its uselessness. 

"Why do you need an AR-15?" I use it to kill coyotes. Coyotes kill and eat little puppies, especially little liberal puppies.

"Why do you need Tannerite?" Because it is one of the best ways to gauge target hits at long ranges.

"Why do you need a bump stock?" Because 'merica. 

HARD to defend to the great unwashed. We have good defenses for pretty much everything they wanna do. Everybody in DC is gonna pick their battles, and has to convince a whole lot more than our crowd to survive. If you make yourself look stupid, you get killed.

9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

We don't need any bans. But we really are talking about something that is unique in its uselessness. 

"Why do you need an AR-15?" I use it to kill coyotes. Coyotes kill and eat little puppies, especially little liberal puppies.

Why don't you just use your single shot hunting rifle?

"Why do you need Tannerite?" Because it is one of the best ways to gauge target hits at long ranges.

Why not use a spotting scope and Shoot-N-C Targets?

"Why do you need a bump stock?" Because 'merica. 

Because it's how I learn to control muzzle rise in a semi-auto rifle.

HARD to defend to the great unwashed. We have good defenses for pretty much everything they wanna do. Everybody in DC is gonna pick their battles, and has to convince a whole lot more than our crowd to survive. If you make yourself look stupid, you get killed.

No matter what reason you give, anti-gun fools will come up with something to counter, no matter how stupid.  The fact remains, the 2A is there for a reason, and if all the GCA's infringements don't get blocked, we will need all our muskets sooner or later.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jgradyc said:

Watch at 2:30

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Omega said:

No matter what reason you give, anti-gun fools will come up with something to counter, no matter how stupid.  The fact remains, the 2A is there for a reason, and if all the GCA's infringements don't get blocked, we will need all our muskets sooner or later.

Again, don't mistake me for somebody that wants or agrees with a ban. I am NOT talking about convincing anti-gun folks. I am talking about convincing everybody else. Sooner or later, you gotta get some folks to agree.

Now... when it comes to Trump bragging about banning them, he may need his ass kicked. 

Banning one thing always leads to others. How soon until pistol braces are attacked? By the time people start complaining about them trying to ban shotguns, it will be far too late. 

It is not about whether you would use them, but whether people should have a decision.

Hell, I think we should repeal the NFA and I really never see me buying a full auto. If you want it and you have a clean record you should be able to buy it. 

• Like 3
  • Administrator

I am not going to tolerate anyone on TGO, moderator or otherwise, attacking someone personally rather than attacking the position that they hold.

@jgradyc, you have my apologies.  I don't necessarily agree with your stance, but that does not make you a traitor.  That language is extremely strong.

• Like 2

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If one link thinks it's ok to be told, or tell someone else what we/they may own/need...then that's a weak link in the chain.

The chain weakens when we all do not stand together. Whether or not you own, or personally like a product or a particular firearm; when we sacrifice unity, we all lose.

Perhaps the term "traitor" to the cause here is a bit harsh, but the spirit of the statement I think is true. We must pull together with a united front on these issues.

If we give in on one item, that just empowers the other side to scream for more surrendering of items and rights.

Whether we all embrace a particular item or not, that unity is very important.

Stand together guys. For all our sakes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, scooter said:

For those that actually care about the Constitution, the final rule is out: Federal Register | Bump-Stock-Type Devices.

This was a long read.

I think it would have been simpler, shorter, and just as effective to put "we have decided to outlaw an accessory that will change NOTHING".  

Unless I missed it I only saw the LV incident referenced when giving examples of it's mass killing power. Maybe I slept and forgot about others.