[GAMES] PS4 or XBOX ?

DaveTN

I started this discussion at work the other day, so I thought I would continue it here.

I haven’t played games in years, but I thought I might get a game console because my 12 year old grandson is into that, and it’s something we could do together when I am there or online when I’m home. (He has a PS4 and is in another state)

The young folks at work seem to be split down the middle between PS4 and X Box. But they say I may be able to play online games with either.

At first glance I kind of figured X box was the way to go because…. Well it’s Microsoft. But then I found out my Grandson has a PS4.

My console would be used on a 70” TV (not 4K), 175 Mbps down, 23 Mbps up internet speed. I would want two controllers. I probably want to play flight games, so I would want to add a flight stick later.  I’m a technology junkie.

So $800 for an X Box One with two Elite controllers….ouch?

Or around $500 for a PlayStation 4 Pro Console with two Dualshock Wireless Controllers??

I’m not concerned about the price as much as I am with getting the best price on the most advanced technology at the time. Which begs the question when is the next gen of these systems due out?

What’s the opinion of the TGO gamers???

Edited by DaveTN

I had a PS3 years ago and when the time came to upgrade, really debated between PS4 and Xbox One....

I ended up going with the Xbox One. I haven't upgraded to the One X yet, but maybe when prices drop later this year. My reason for the Xbox One was that it was more than just a game system, it is really a media system. Yes the PS4 can play DVDs, etc. but the Xbox just seemed to do more media wise, and we watch/stream as much as I typically play games.

Most of the games are going to be available on either platform, but there are some special games that are locked to one or the other. 

I have a PS4 Pro on a 4K TV. It is sweet. The big difference between the two systems is the exclusives. The PS4 has dominated this generation. I have no brand loyalty. NES, SNES, PS, Jaguar, PS2, XBOX, XBOX360, Wii, PS4, 3DS, etc...

Look at the game availability first. Make sure you aren't handicapping yourself out the gate with the choice of system. I can't play Forza, PUBG or Sea of Thieves. That makes me sad.

If your grandson has a PS4 already, ask him. He might enjoy playing games with you. My best friend lives in Knoxville, I live in Kentucky. We play every Saturday night for a few hours. You don't have to sit on the same couch to play together. Then again, he may suggest the XBOX so he can play that when he visits. 

1 hour ago, jonathon1289 said:

I had a PS3 years ago and when the time came to upgrade, really debated between PS4 and Xbox One....

I ended up going with the Xbox One. I haven't upgraded to the One X yet, but maybe when prices drop later this year. My reason for the Xbox One was that it was more than just a game system, it is really a media system. Yes the PS4 can play DVDs, etc. but the Xbox just seemed to do more media wise, and we watch/stream as much as I typically play games.

Most of the games are going to be available on either platform, but there are some special games that are locked to one or the other. 

My son also uses his as a media center

• Moderators

Do you have to have the same console system to be able to play with/against someone else online? Are there separate Xbox/Sony servers? I’m not a gamer, but I figure that might impact the choice. 

46 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Do you have to have the same console system to be able to play with/against someone else online? Are there separate Xbox/Sony servers? I’m not a gamer, but I figure that might impact the choice. 

There are very few exceptions, but yes. Outside of a few games, and this is recent, PC gamers play against PC gamers, XBOX against XBOX and PS4 v PS4.

• Like 1

If you are wanting to be able to play games with your Grandson online while you are both in separate locations than you will want to get the same console, as the majority of games do not crossover. If you just want something that you will play with him on your console when he's at your place I recommend the Xbox. Regardless which platform you choose check out the games "World of Tanks" and "Fortnite", both are free games that give you the option to spend real money if you so choose, both are fun for kids and adults alike and while guns and war are involved neither have graphic violence.

• Like 1