Pro-gun pushback in wake of Florida school murders

It's easy for anti-gun protesters to rally because they're rallying for change. 

"We want the status quo... we want the status quo!" just doesn't have much appeal. If we wanted to be proactive, we need to rally FOR CHANGE, not to just maintain the 200+ year status quo. 

Three things jump out at me when I look at school shootings. Two of those can be addressed with change. 

The first is allowing teachers to voluntarily be trained and carry. They don't have to be Quick Draw McGraw holsters. Teachers could carry in biometric holsters that require a fingerprint scan to open. They're not quick, but they do exist as gun cases. We could demand that these holster-cases be made available to teachers and pressure schools to allow teachers to carry.

Second is to provide father figures for young boys. I was shocked to recently learn that nearly 100% of school shooters came from single-parent homes. Listen to this video.

The final problem is mental health. It's a much more difficult problem to address. I think a more productive rallying-cry would be around the first two issues. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jgradyc said:

The first is allowing teachers to voluntarily be trained and carry. They don't have to be Quick Draw McGraw holsters. Teachers could carry in biometric holsters that require a fingerprint scan to open. They're not quick, but they do exist as gun cases. We could demand that these holster-cases be made available to teachers and pressure schools to allow teachers to carry.

Or, teachers could carry concealed using the same holsters that millions of other gun owners use every day with no problem.  In fact, I will absolutely guarantee you that there are some teachers carrying concealed in schools at this very instant.  Concealed means concealed, and I am surprised by the number of people who have trouble understanding that.

Edited by Whisper
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Or, teachers could carry concealed using the same holsters that millions of other gun owners use every day with no problem.  In fact, I will absolutely guarantee you that there are some teachers carrying concealed in schools at this very instant.  Concealed means concealed, and I am surprised by the number of people who have trouble understanding that.

Why do we use the title teacher every time were refer to an educator of a school as they are different from any other person like a cashier at a drive in market. They are people just like I am a person. How about we start looking at them as people that value and appreciate life as much as anyone else. That way it might be easier to think of them as an armed person in school educating our children while protecting them at the same time. I have heard people say that they don't think a teacher could or is capable of shooting a bad guy that is there to harm not only children but her/him also. I am sorry but that does not make sense. A teacher that has been trained to handle a firearm properly and is trained on an active shooter scenerio until they are comfortable with what they could and would do would be more than capable of not only proecting our children but protecting themselves also.  Look at all of the teachers/principals/coaches that had no weapons that put their lives on the line to protect the children and died for it. Did they have to die???  No but they did because they are in a GUN FREE ZONE that prevents them from having a gun but had no effects at all on the active shooter!!!! During the time I served in the military I got shot at and also got shot yet every time I heard gun fire I ran towards it and not away from it. That is what a truly trained person does. It was just proven last week when the SRO officer ran towards the gun fire and a good guy with a gun killed a bad guy with a gun and many lives were saved by the SRO's actions. This is what is needed in our school system if we are going to end  the active shooter in schools. This cannot be voluntary. If you are not willing to step ad be trained you need to be replaced because you are part of the problem and not part of the solution. More well trained teachers, coaches, Principals. Janitors and custodians, grounds keepers and SRO's trained to run towards gun fired and not away from it. They keep talking about spending money  to make schools safer, Spend it training school personnel on gun safety and active shooter situations cause locking doors and hiding in closets does not stop bad guy bullets. A good guy with a gun does...............JMHO

• Like 1

exist.

I pay (1) dedicated man to protect the Mayor, and I want to pay (1) dedicated man to protect my kid's school...with an AR15....7am-5pm M-F.

I have said that exact statement 1000+ times and it falls on deaf ears cause the left anti-gunners will never agree with having one of those dangerous black rifles in their childs school. I have mentioned that there are 1000's of Veterans right now looking for work that would be the best you could ask for watching over our children cause they will run towards gun fire, not from it. They would also know the difference between gun fire and fireworks but I never get a positive response back to that idea!!!!

We have to harden the target. Teachers who carry of their own volition is the last line of defense. They need cops on the property. They need cameras.  They need to move the perimeter back and reduce the number of access points. 

1 minute ago, peejman said:

We have to harden the target. Teachers who carry of their own volition is the last line of defense. They need cops on the property. They need cameras.  They need to move the perimeter back and reduce the number of access points. 

If this were on the table, I'd be more than willing to slide right up to that table and discuss.  But that is not what they want now is it.  No, they have been waiting for one of these events to pickup steam, they try it after each horrific mass shooting.  They bring out the pre-planned speeches, signs and celebrity 'activists' willing to go all out with one goal in mind, and that's disarmament. 

I want to know where these parents are, who are willing to possibly put their kids safety in jeopardy, because you know there are some on the far right that would love nothing better than to shut these kids up, one way or another.  I hope nobody attempts to, that would not be good for us at all, but the threats are allready happening. Are they that sold into the idea of disarmament that they would let these outsiders use their kids as sacrificial lambs?

This is why the pro-gun movement is doomed. We cannot even agree to allow teachers to voluntarily carry guns, for Chrissake!

We should all get behind allowing teachers to be armed. Period. 

I cannot believe that so many pro-gun advocates are SCARED TO DEATH OF SOMEONE ELSE CARRYING A GUN! 

Sure, it's okay if you carry a gun in a school.... it's your right, but you don't want teachers to carry in schools. Don't you see the hypocrisy in that position?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, jgradyc said:

This is why the pro-gun movement is doomed. We cannot even agree to allow teachers to voluntarily carry guns, for Chrissake!

We should all get behind allowing teachers to be armed. Period. 

I cannot believe that so many pro-gun advocates are SCARED TO DEATH OF SOMEONE ELSE CARRYING A GUN! 

Sure, it's okay if you carry a gun in a school.... it's your right, but you don't want teachers to carry in schools. Don't you see the hypocrisy in that position?

This... well said.

Teachers shouldn’t be required to carry, but the ones that want to should be allowed to.  The ones that desire to carry will take it seriously and probably seek training above what would be required. 

I have 3 kids in 3 different schools, I’ve met plenty of teachers over the years and know many outside of the school environment.  Some would carry and some wouldn’t, but there would be enough of them that I wouldn’t want to play doors and corners in a school while they were protecting their kids.

12 hours ago, Omega said:

If this were on the table, I'd be more than willing to slide right up to that table and discuss.  But that is not what they want now is it.  No, they have been waiting for one of these events to pickup steam, they try it after each horrific mass shooting.  They bring out the pre-planned speeches, signs and celebrity 'activists' willing to go all out with one goal in mind, and that's disarmament. 

I want to know where these parents are, who are willing to possibly put their kids safety in jeopardy, because you know there are some on the far right that would love nothing better than to shut these kids up, one way or another.  I hope nobody attempts to, that would not be good for us at all, but the threats are allready happening. Are they that sold into the idea of disarmament that they would let these outsiders use their kids as sacrificial lambs?

We should put it on the table and leave it there until it's addressed with rational discussion.

You want to take away my guns. I want to protect your children and mine from people who won't obey any law regardless of how warm and fuzzy that law makes you feel. 

Last night I was tired and chose the wrong word "hypocrite" when I should have said inconsistent. Let me reword my post as follows.

If we believe that law-abiding, HCP holders should be allowed to carry in school zones, then it is inconsistent to argue that teachers should not be allowed to carry in school zones.

Those who argue that teachers should not be allowed to carry are using the same argument that anti-gun protesters are saying about allowing HCP permits to carry in restaurants.  

Anti-gunners say that allowing HCPers to go everywhere will turn restaurants, public events, etc into wild west shootouts and people will be shooting themselves. Amazingly, some pro-gun advocates are using the same argument against allowing teachers to go armed.

We need to be consistent. 

• Like 3