Opinions needed on red dot around $200

I'm finally going to add a red dot to my Sig MPX. I'm leaning towards the one of the Holosun models but I really don't have any experience with this. 

Is there a reason why I should pay $30 more for the orange lens over a yellow lens? Should I pay more to get the solar panel on top?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun-paralow-hs403a-red-dot.html

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Edited by Erik88
  • Moderators

When it comes to red dots in this price range, I’m a big fan of Primary Arms. I have one of their advanced micro red dots on an AR. While I wouldn’t call it a “go to war” sight, it’s rugged, holds zero, has great battery life, and clear glass. All in all it’s a much better product than one would expect for its price point. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

When it comes to red dots in this price range, I’m a big fan of Primary Arms. I have one of their advanced micro red dots on an AR. While I wouldn’t call it a “go to war” sight, it’s rugged, holds zero, has great battery life, and clear glass. All in all it’s a much better product than one would expect for its price point. 

90% sure those are made by Holosun. I have a basic red dot from P.A on an AR pistol. I might take a 2nd look. 

I have one of the PA red dots that looks just like the Strikefire, it works fine (lower 1/3 cowitness). I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 that work fine with absolute cowitness. As mentioned, definitely not an Aimpoint, but just fine for messing around. 

Throwing this out there....I have Aimpoints, EoTech's, Leupolds, Trijicons.....The Sig Romeo 5 has really impessed me.  I have an astigmatism, so I always see the "starburst" but for whatever reason, the Romeo 5 I see the clearest of them all.  It also includes 2 mounts, and a lifetime guarantee...they can be had for around $120ish.  I've hard great things about the Primary Arms so they are worth a look as well. 

• Thanks 1

Vortex makes a very good red dots in that price range . Their magnifiers I actually prefer over eotech or aimpoint for half the money . 

I know “made in China “... but I’ve had nothing but good luck with their quality .

10 minutes ago, Slappy said:

Throwing this out there....I have Aimpoints, EoTech's, Leupolds, Trijicons.....The Sig Romeo 5 has really impessed me.  I have an astigmatism, so I always see the "starburst" but for whatever reason, the Romeo 5 I see the clearest of them all.  It also includes 2 mounts, and a lifetime guarantee...they can be had for around $120ish.  I've hard great things about the Primary Arms so they are worth a look as well. 

Being cursed with an astigmatism myself, this is good to know.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, Johnny Rotten said:

OP are a bunch of FUDDS, they just decided last month not to sell 30rd mags anymore, after the FL school shooting.

I emailed OP and thought everyone might want to see their response.

Greetings from OpticsPlanet.com!

Thank you for reaching out to us, and giving us a chance to respond. We're aware of a recent rumor suggesting that we made decisions to restrict the sale of magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds due to recent events.

We want to assure you this is not the case. Insufficient internal communication led to a misread message. We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity.  We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it. 

You can see the ordinance in question here:

https://library.municode.com/il/cook_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIGEOR_CH54LIPEMIBURE_ARTIIIDEWEDE_DIV4BLHOASWEBA_S54-212ASWELAPAMASAPREX

At OpticsPlanet, we have never used the inflamed tensions and emotions of current events to drive decision making. Our support of the 2nd Amendment is made undeniably clear by the products we offer. We are one of the few online retailers who never stopped offering completely legal products based on public or political pressure. We do not raise prices during frenzies.  We do, however, follow the laws and make adjustments when legally required.

While we wish we could be your provider of these magazines, our hands are tied in this matter. We sincerely apologize for our role in creating any confusion, and hope you'll continue to support us as many loyal customers have over the past 18 years.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

1 hour ago, tntnixon said:

That ordinance has been in effect since 2013 . Why are they just now complying ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not how I interpreted their message. Have they ever sold magazines over 10 rounds? 

That's not how I interpreted their message. Have they ever sold magazines over 10 rounds? 

Honestly , I don’t know . I’ve never bought any mags from them . Only experience with them was buying some binocs several years ago .
I’m not sure who to buy from , anymore . I’ve lost trust in many folks I’ve done business with in the past , for a variety of reasons .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Yes, they did. It is my understanding that they were playing loophole games with the ordinance and the lawyers finally said no more. 

12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yes, they did. It is my understanding that they were playing loophole games with the ordinance and the lawyers finally said no more. 

I mean, I really can't blame them then. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I emailed OP and thought everyone might want to see their response.

Greetings from OpticsPlanet.com!

Thank you for reaching out to us, and giving us a chance to respond. We're aware of a recent rumor suggesting that we made decisions to restrict the sale of magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds due to recent events.

We want to assure you this is not the case. Insufficient internal communication led to a misread message. We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity.  We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it. 

You can see the ordinance in question here:

https://library.municode.com/il/cook_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIGEOR_CH54LIPEMIBURE_ARTIIIDEWEDE_DIV4BLHOASWEBA_S54-212ASWELAPAMASAPREX

At OpticsPlanet, we have never used the inflamed tensions and emotions of current events to drive decision making. Our support of the 2nd Amendment is made undeniably clear by the products we offer. We are one of the few online retailers who never stopped offering completely legal products based on public or political pressure. We do not raise prices during frenzies.  We do, however, follow the laws and make adjustments when legally required.

While we wish we could be your provider of these magazines, our hands are tied in this matter. We sincerely apologize for our role in creating any confusion, and hope you'll continue to support us as many loyal customers have over the past 18 years.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Then that just happened shortly after xmas.......I'll put them back on my list due to your post.

These guys should have just as hard or harder selling these in Ca

https://www.botach.com/magpul-pmag-5-56mm-ar-m4-gen-m3-40rd-magazines-6-pack/

15 hours ago, Garufa said:

So how’s the red dot hunt going?

I ended up ordering the Holosun 403c. I found a good deal on eBay. Holosun makes red dots for primary arms and it was around the same price($165). It's a 2MOA version with the "shake awake" feature and solar panel on top with a 5 year back up battery.  

I'll report back once I have a chance to use it. 

https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=35

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, Erik88 said:

I ended up ordering the Holosun 403c. I found a good deal on eBay. Holosun makes red dots for primary arms and it was around the same price($165). It's a 2MOA version with the "shake awake" feature and solar panel on top with a 5 year back up battery.  

I'll report back once I have a chance to use it. 

https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=35

I finally got a chance to use this one yesterday. First impressions are good. I think it has a lot of value at this price point. The screw caps have a built in notch on the top that act as a flathead tool for adjusting the windage and elevation. I'm sure that's not unique to Holosun but I thought it was a nice touch. The "shake awake" feature was also nice. Simply pick the gun up and it turns on. 

Sadly, my overpriced MPX is the least reliable gun that I own. I really like the gun but it's not something I can trust at the moment. 

38 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I finally got a chance to use this one yesterday. First impressions are good. I think it has a lot of value at this price point. The screw caps have a built in notch on the top that act as a flathead tool for adjusting the windage and elevation. I'm sure that's not unique to Holosun but I thought it was a nice touch. The "shake awake" feature was also nice. Simply pick the gun up and it turns on. 

Sadly, my overpriced MPX is the least reliable gun that I own. I really like the gun but it's not something I can trust at the moment. 

Curious about the solar panel backup, especially at this price point.

Sorry about your MPX, I thought it was going to be a winner when you brought it to class, send it to Sig?