Canik TP9 SFX Sights

I'm here to tell ya, there's just not much information out there about replacing the Canik TP9 SFx with after market sights, period!

First time I shot that Canik it was sunny and the front fiber optic sight was wonderful and no problem what-so-ever. Took it to a steel match the following weekend and it was very cloudy, dark and misting. I could barely see the front fiber optic sight and had a hard time picking it up.

I don't want to be spending big bucks and getting the wrong replacement sight, as no doubt they will not take them back all banged up, etc. I have unofficially heard that a Glock rear sight, and any SW M&P front sight will fit the dove tail. But will it be too tall / short with the stock Warren blackout tactical sight?

Should have bought that Glock 34 I had intended to get in the first place. This Canik shoots 115 grain just fine, but anything heavier and you got problems. And upgrades and after market products are about nonexistent.

Thanks y'all

6 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Check out the Canik Fanatik forum. http://www.canikdiscussions.com

I have the SF Elite and the S&W M&P full size 9mm front site works on it, I left the original rear sight on.

Thanks for the info! I didn't even know Canik had a forum and I'll check it out.

That's the information I wanted to verify. I like the Warren blacked out rear sight and only wanted to replace the front sight. I had heard from one individual on Youtube that the SW M&P would work, but I didn't want to spend $100.00 on the front sight and after it was beaten up a bit, the gunsmith telling me it's the wrong sight and won't fit. 

19 hours ago, hipower said:

What kind of problems are you having with 124 grain? That's about all I shoot in my 9 pistols anymore.

I haven't put a great number of rounds thru my SFX, but I can't say I've had any problems with the 124 in it.

Hey hipower, been awhile since our last chat!

Yeah, my SFx doesn't like anything but 115 grain. Get a FTE or stove pipe about every 5-7 rounds. Now I wish I hadn't dumped 1,000 rounds of mixed 115 & 124 grain in my ammo can for IDPA and steel challenge matches. I'll have to check that Canik discussion forum and some Youtube videos and see who else is having those issues and what springs they replaced?

• Like 1

Most folks had problems with lite rounds but ran fine with NATO spec ammo. Took my Elite about 300 rounds to get to where it would run lightly loaded rounds. Some of the first pistols had heavy recoil springs. Mine is in the high seven hundreds.

10 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Most folks had problems with lite rounds but ran fine with NATO spec ammo. Took my Elite about 300 rounds to get to where it would run lightly loaded rounds. Some of the first pistols had heavy recoil springs. Mine is in the high seven hundreds.

Yeah I'll run some more factory rounds through it and see if it breaks in. Thanks.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yeah I'll run some more factory rounds through it and see if it breaks in. Thanks.

Hopefully, you will get all issues settled out. I'll take mine out next chance I get to shoot(which hasn't been very often in the last 6 months) and try it again with 115and 124 loads together. Will try a mag of each and then a mixed mag and see what happens.

My original TP9SA will digest anything I've put thru it with out a single problem. I bought an Elite a while back on a whim at a great price, but haven't shot it.:wall:

I'll take the Elite and the SFX together and try to get some impressions on them and let you know.

8 hours ago, hipower said:

Hopefully, you will get all issues settled out. I'll take mine out next chance I get to shoot(which hasn't been very often in the last 6 months) and try it again with 115and 124 loads together. Will try a mag of each and then a mixed mag and see what happens.

My original TP9SA will digest anything I've put thru it with out a single problem. I bought an Elite a while back on a whim at a great price, but haven't shot it.:wall:

I'll take the Elite and the SFX together and try to get some impressions on them and let you know.

Yeah please let me know. I finding out now that it seems to be a common problem with a lot of the TP9 SFx not liking anything but 115 grain bullets? With the small back strap and a rubber Talon grip on it, I really like the grip and angle and feels natural. Once I get it dependable and to my liking, I'm going to like it for competition shoots.

I don't remember if I mentioned it above, but that front fiber optic sight was the cats meow on a clear sunny day the first time I shot it. Then the next time I shot it at the 'Steel Challenge' is was a dark gloomy day and I couldn't pick up my sights. In addition to it jamming with anything other than 115 grain. 

I can completely disassemble a Glock or 1911 for cleaning or service with never a problem. If I try disassembling the Canik lower, I'll end up with"Bag O Gun" for the gunsmith. Watching the only video I could find on Youtube at the time, this guy had a heck of a time with the spring that holds in the mag release to reverse it to left-hand, and I'm left-handed. I'm not even going to try that as a novice.

Don't feel bad about disassembly issues. I go no further than field stripping for maintenance. I don't see small parts that well, and my hands are not as steady as they once were.

I no longer have illusions of competitive shooting. Range time for fun and keeping familiar with my weapons is about my limit these days.