Anke Carry, my attempt at a review

My first attempt with ankle carry was driven by the need for deep concealment and accessibility while driving.

Deep concealment is based on my job, there is a possibility of entering NPE with no metal detectors.

Driving accessibility stems from being left handed; it is nigh impossible to draw and bear on a BG with your left hand from the driver's seat, unless you have dinosaur arms. For reference, the review is for a right handed holster (strapped to left leg) for a left handed user

The first rig was a $20 Bulldog. Do not buy this holster if you are seriously considering ankle carry. While It secures the firearm and the elastic and Velcro strap will not fail, it has no calf strap so it sags. The overall construction also allows the holster to move where attached to the strap, so it wobbles when you walk, regardless of how tight you pull the elastic.

My second challenge to the project was a heavy pistol in a sub standard holster. If you plan on humping steel (Kahr MK 9 weight) get a GREAT ankle holster.

With the epic fail of this combo, ankle carry went out the window and I switched to pocket carry for deep concealment.

Fast forward to my acquisition of a Kimber Micro .380. Drop nearly 10oz and my life changed! Pocket carry is now King (when required) 

On a side note, I shoot Precision One 90gr HP / XTP in the Kimber. Great reviews from Shooting the Bull from his quest for great .380 SD ammo.

Strolling through Academy, I stumble across Uncle Mike's Tactical Ankle Holster. $40 and I have a $50 gift card.

Pop open the packaging to touch and feel. Having used it, pretty pleased with my purchase.

The holster itself is an Uncle Mike's size 10 with adjustable thumb break. This works well for my specific application. The Kimber is carried condition one, so the strap blocks the trigger for an added layer of safety. I have full confidence in weapon retention.

For my leg size, the flush mag is perfect and brings the Kimber to a 4" height. The extended mag can print depending on how I'm sitting and/or the fabric of my pants.

The holster itself is well secured vertically to the leg strap, so it wobbles way less than el cheapo bull dog. So much so, I recently did a lot of walking over a 3 day stretch with this as my primary EDC and had no issues, meaning it didn't feel like it flopping around on my ankle.

The leg strap is well constructed; the padded area that contacts the leg reminds me of something you'd find in the joint support area of a pharmacy. The Velcro strap is attached to that, so as you tighten, pressure is pretty equally applied without cutting into your lower calf.

My opinion only, you gotta have a calf strap if you only wear casual shoes. The rig will slide down you leg since it's shaped like a cone. Then it begins placing pressure on your ankle bone. Doesn't sound too bad, but trust me, it is annoying and it eventually begins to hurt.

I learned to attach the calf strap as high on my leg as possible before fully tightening the leg strap. I do this with the pistol holstered having discovered it requires some effort to reholster when worn.

The calf strap on this holster is elastic and Velcro and height adjustable. My comfort zone is 3ish inches above my ankle bone.

The bad. It has sharp edges, meaning the Velcro edges on the straps (thumb, height adjustment, calf) can and will become a irritating pressure point.

To resolve the thumb / height adjustment, I super glued a piece of neoprene mouse pad in place.

For the calf strap, I haven't decided on neoprene or another type of material.

Drawing while seated is pretty smooth as my pants leg typically is in a position to make it easy to clear the excess material and access my gun.

Less practice from standing to kneeling to draw. Good news in this arena is my dress pants and full cut, so easy to draw the leg up as well as tactical pants which are designed to work with boots.

Since I have to get off my feet to draw, I seem to be more aware of cover and concealment when those random "what ifs" pop into my brain while out and about.

IMG_20180331_121030305.jpg

IMG_20180331_120952367.jpg

I agree GTG. Excellent writeup! :up:

Neil (he's been to a couple of classes out your way) had a Galco Ankle Glove for a G26 and spoke highly of it. I've only toyed with the concept, but can see great value, especially for the circumstances you describe.

Back about 15-16 years ago a well known and respected trainer had picked up a new (at the time) subcompact 9mm and was carrying it in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster jury rigged up with a piece of duct tape. He could easily have afforded a much more expensive custom made holster, and would probably have been given one for T&E, but seemed quite happy with his slightly modified rig. But he too mentioned the necessity of the calf strap for security and comfort.

I like the use of the neoprene mousepad! Smart my friend.

• 4 weeks later...

Great review!  I have at least one high quality ankle holster and a couple lesser ones around here somewhere.  Dont care for them.  In those situations you describe, I currently pocket carry my .380 S&W Bodyguard.  I carry in in my right pocket with two spare mags in a small pocket holster in my left pocket. Im hoping to figure out a way to replace the .380 with my 9mm S&W Shield though, soon.  Theres got to be a way to carry inside the waistband with a tucked in shirt  in such a manner that folks cant tell...

1 hour ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

Great review!  I have at least one high quality ankle holster and a couple lesser ones around here somewhere.  Dont care for them.  In those situations you describe, I currently pocket carry my .380 S&W Bodyguard.  I carry in in my right pocket with two spare mags in a small pocket holster in my left pocket. Im hoping to figure out a way to replace the .380 with my 9mm S&W Shield though, soon.  Theres got to be a way to carry inside the waistband with a tucked in shirt  in such a manner that folks cant tell...

I don't own a tuckable holster, hate them.

My solution for deeper waistband concealment was a 4" max height handgun; that, plus a thin single stack may help with the tuck issue.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

Try a belly band or smart carry holster. 

http://www.smartcarry.com/concealed-carry-holsters/

• Like 1

Left handed shoot here. My worst position is somebody coming up from behind on the drivers side of a vehicle. My solution is to practice off-hand shooting more, and practice drawing with the left and swapping hands. I actually think swapping hands would be as fast as ankle draw, and the gun is still in the wrong hand to get into a good shooting position, without exposing a bunch of your body.

I actually had a incident awhile back that bought this to light. I was sitting at the drive thru at McDonald's, and some crazy guy comes walking from behind my truck. I was wanting to try to get my firearm at the ready, but struggled to get into a position where I could draw fast if needed. As it turned out, the guy was just nuts and meant me no harm, he just wanted money. All shooters are very vulnerable from somebody coming up from the rear like that while sitting parked, that's why cops approach a vehicle like they do.  

I too practice off hand shooting, almost exclusively with the Micro.

I also practice RH to LH swap, which has become pretty smooth.

Specifically for ankle carry, in the what if of a carjacking, I don't think I want to add the extra step of drawing with my left and swapping to right.

You bring up a good training consideration, I need to add more off hand practice with my other carry pistols