New job

9 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Ouch.

Mike, I was just looking at the Indeed job network to see what might be out there and they have a Gallatin Section and on page 4 of the job search they had an ad that Beretta in Gallatin was looking to hire some people. I didn't go into it to far but might be something to look into................:shrug:

Thanks, Doug. They only pay $9/hr and it's all manufacturing stuff. I have no experience at that.

I would be a fantastic rep for something. My rapport with people is terrific. Ruger or Glock would be awesome, but someone has to die for a position to open up.

Edited by Steelharp
  • Admin Team

Heck, Lowe’s is paying $11/hour. 

I talked to some parents of one of my daughter’s friends who just opened a restaurant down on Nolensville Road this summer. They’re first generation immigrants, and I asked how it was going.  They said they’ve worked in other people’s restaurants for years and understand that part.  The hard part was finding and keeping good people.  They said they had raised their base pay to almost the mythical $15/hour for unskilled labor just to try to keep someone more than a few weeks. 

I’m hopeful you’ll find something better. It sucks to hate what you do. 

• Moderators

You have to do the math. If you're working 80 hours a week, averaging 190 per unit at 9.5 units per month that equals $5.64 per hour. A $9 per hour 40 hour week gets you close to the same numbers and you get half your life back. 

Was in auto industry for nearly 25 years. To make big money in sales you have to have repeat business and referrals. Unfortunately that takes time to develop (3 years generally to see it start paying off). Most can't survive that long. 

If you are waiting for walkups or dealer advertising to drive sales for you it is even tougher. You have to go create sales for yourself. 

If you hate what you do my only advice is to change now. Life is too short.

Good luck. 

• Like 7

This was the ad I saw nad it says $11 and it does not request experienced people. I'm guess they are having the same issue keeping employees as everyone else is. Can't pass drug tests of getting fired for a spontaneous test without notice. Might be worth your time to look into it.

Beretta USA CORP 28 reviews Gallatin, TN

Responsive employer

$11 an hour

Is currently looking for Firearms Assemblers to work out of our manufacturing facility in Gallatin, TN. Positions work Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3:30...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, bersaguy said:

This was the ad I saw nad it says $11 and it does not request experienced people. I'm guess they are having the same issue keeping employees as everyone else is. Can't pass drug tests of getting fired for a spontaneous test without notice. Might be worth your time to look into it.

Beretta USA CORP 28 reviews Gallatin, TN

Responsive employer

$11 an hour

Is currently looking for Firearms Assemblers to work out of our manufacturing facility in Gallatin, TN. Positions work Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3:30...

That's kinda crazy to me. I would think that would pay better. 

Might even look into something like this if you are able. Says starts at $17.50 for a 1st shift warehouse order picker.

Paytons in Portland TN

https://www.simplyhired.com/search?l=gallatin%2C+tn&job=K7gBlGQLtpHjPXLpQ_eH8qbsfWuRxwhOhy-zt-k1ntnrOjJopmx-6g

Looks like delivery semi drivers are complaining about it being slow to get unloaded by employees there, but no idea about working conditions. 

I have done worse for much less. 

• Admin Team
53 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

How many people can afford to stick around very long on $11/hour? Even chick fil a in my town is starting folks out at $12/hour.

That’s certainly true.  But, it’s double the less than minimum wage he’s making right now.  

And, the benefit of being done at 3:30 is that you could reasonably do something else like lessons or a part time gig. 

Sometimes when you’re down in a pit, it doesn’t seem like there’s any hope. I know Mikey’s is a loyal worker. The benefit of someone his age is that they’re also pretty dependable. I’m hoping something pans out. 

And soon.  

• Like 5
On 9/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, Steelharp said:

Thanks, Doug. They only pay $9/hr and it's all manufacturing stuff. I have no experience at that.

I would be a fantastic rep for something. My rapport with people is terrific. Ruger or Glock would be awesome, but someone has to die for a position to open up.

I wouldn't sweat the lack of experience.  If you show up more than 3 days in a row, you'll be ahead of a bunch of people. 

Denso is always hiring here, $14/hr, no experience necessary. 

• Like 1

SteelHarp even owning a business and being self employed sucks some days, because the customer is always right and Murphy 's law applies 110%. With the economy humming along like it is  something will show up for you' I agree the internet has ruined sales jobs in the auto business. Would think there should be music gigs around Music City. Knew a guy that used to be a musician  finally got tired of being away from his wife and kids, tired of being on the road travelling all the time quit and got into radio broadcasting. If you have good rapport with everyone broadcasting might be your forte. Don't know what kind of education you need to qualify though . Hope thing work out for you.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, Steelharp said:

Is Smyrna or Murfreesboro too far to drive? I just checked and the company I work for has various openings in those cities.  PM me if you're interested and I'll see what info I can find out. 

I'm really sorry about your situation Steelharp. Life will throw curve balls at us sometimes my friend. I've dodged quite a few myself.

Have you considered the possibility of entering the Healthcare field? 

There are many avenues to approach it, and I don't know your particular life situation, but I've met people from all over our country and at pretty much every age and occupational background entering my field.

Being an RN I have the privilege of precepting new hires in my department. While a person may not get rich at my level and in my niche, the work comes with a livable salary and more importantly benefits and health insurance. My field also allows the opportunity to work pretty much anywhere and for the most part as often as you'd like. I've done travel assignments all over the country. Heck...That's how I landed in TN back in '06.

Many hospitals have some form of tuition reimbursement to help staff members further their educational potentials if desired.

Just kicking this into the "thought-mix" and wishing you the best.

Jamie 

5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Is Smyrna or Murfreesboro too far to drive? I just checked and the company I work for has various openings in those cities.  PM me if you're interested and I'll see what info I can find out. 

Thanks. Yeah, that's way too far. Something will open up. I have faith. Thanks, guys.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I figure you’ve probably had more than your share of the road life over the years, but have you considered driving truck? Hell, the CDL program through TCAT should be mostly, if not completely covered under Haslam’s education initiatives. If that’s the case, it’d likely open up local gigs to avoid time doing OTR. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 5:46 AM, Steelharp said:

The hardest part is dealing with the people that believe the ads, no money, no credit, bad credit, you can buy a car. 💩

Real Estate is the same! 100% govt backed loans only get you so far. Some people have no clue. I try to educate them and hope they call me when they have their ducks in a row.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

No longer a Korean sweat shop slave! I couldn't take it anymore!!!

Come Uber with me...

A buddy of mine has done that for a while and does pretty decent. He always has good tales to tell. If you're driving in Nashville don't forget to collect your bonus when dropping people off at the strip clubs. $12 a head. 

• Haha 1