New job

12 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

So how does Uber pay?

You get paid as soon as the ride ends. It goes into your Uber account, and you have the option of transferring it to your bank account 2x a day, or it'll just transfer automatically at the end of the week.

As for the pay scale, I still haven't figured that out. I've had short rides that have paid like long ones and vice versa. If you can be driving in what they call a "surge area," it can pay 2 to 3x the rate.

2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

You get paid as soon as the ride ends. It goes into your Uber account, and you have the option of transferring it to your bank account 2x a day, or it'll just transfer automatically at the end of the week.

As for the pay scale, I still haven't figured that out. I've had short rides that have paid like long ones and vice versa. If you can be driving in what they call a "surge area," it can pay 2 to 3x the rate.

I know a teacher st my kid's school drives for them during NASCAR races in Bristol. I am guessing that qualifies as a Surge area. Lol

Hats off to you, I could not do it, but then again I would avoid all face to face interaction if I could. I am anti-social like that. 

I assume it pays better than talking to tire kickers all day. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Being a musician, I love talking to people. I'm just a people guy. They used to tell me at the car place that I talked to people too much, lol. I've made more on average so far than I did at Kia. We'll see how it goes.

I don't know if Uber and Lyft have "territories" or not but I suspect that a person can make a good amount of money off of them working the airport area, or downtown Nashville, or both.

My office is right near the airport and we see Uber and Lyft dropping off and picking up at our building all day, every day.  It's like a rotating door.

5 hours ago, Steelharp said:

I recently took a very long uber ride with a woman that had made 5000 trips. She said she avoids short ones. All your money will be made on the longer trips. Hope that helps and I hope you are breaking UBER policy by carrying.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I recently took a very long uber ride with a woman that had made 5000 trips. She said she avoids short ones. All your money will be made on the longer trips. Hope that helps and I hope you are breaking UBER policy by carrying.

Yep, even if it's a small pocket pistol. Something is better than nothing maybe even more important this time of year. Stay safe my friend. If you need one it is better to have one. What is all Uber can do besides fire you for breaking the rules but at least that would be better than the alternative...........JMHO

Edited by bersaguy

It will be interesting to see someone local say how this works out. I’ve read a few stories about it and most of them claim the drivers don’t make much over minimum wage after they figure in expenses. I’m sure that all depends on where they are, how many drivers there are in the area, and who is telling the story and why.

I recently went to NYC and was tempted to use Uber, but since I have never used it I opted for a car service. I’ve never had a reason to use it around here. If you don’t have a rating is it hard to get a ride?

Good luck with your new endeavor.

@Steelharp

Have you thought of putting yourself close to Bridgestone arena when they have a big concert or something? Sheer number of people should mean some opportuities for fares. I have been around there once and I dont remember much in the way of parking close to it. Of course it probably would mean working later.

Given my new career, I have given up 'side hustle.' I used to deliver pizza, on and off for about 20 years, on the weekend, peak hours I could pull down $25 an hour. I knew a few cats that did it for the same reason as me (laid back atmosphere, not concerned about repercussions, side job, like driving...) that gave it up and went to Uber. I also know that I see cars with Uber and Lyft decals/lights. I personally have never used them, and I have only ever used a taxi service once. But If need be, I don't think I would not do it.

On 11/30/2018 at 6:07 AM, Moped said:

I have friends that use it on the weekends, when they want to go out partying, but won't drink and drive.  I think it's a money maker, if you put a little thought into it.

The problem around here is no one got the memo that drinking and driving isn't  acceptable anymore. 

I really need a side hustle though until my business grows a bit more.

Uber would be ideal but not sure how many Uber drivers Cookeville would support. I Guess Tech students use it alot.

Also at the moment I drive an 07 Focus. It's in better than average shape but not sure it's Uber worthy. 

• 4 weeks later...