Jump to content
prag

Excellent food (chicken/fryer) purchase opportunity 4/2/18

Recommended Posts

I always check the Weekly ad at Kroger's and must have missed this one! $0.29 lb for whole fryers. Several are gonna be vac sealed (will last 1-2 years and no freezer burn) and one is in the oven as I type this. 

This is Monday 4/2/18 and the sale should run through tomorrow.

If you haven't had Tony's  Opelousas baked chicken I feel sorry for you. Time to get your Cajun on!  :drool:
Not all food storage has to be freeze dried...
 
Have a great day folks.
Jamie
 
 
Edited by prag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, prag said:

I always check the Weekly ad at Kroger's and must have missed this one! $0.29 lb for whole fryers. Several are gonna be vac sealed (will last 1-2 years and no freezer burn) and one is in the oven as I type this. 

This is Monday 4/2/18 and the sale should run through tomorrow.

If you haven't had Tony's  Opelousas baked chicken I feel sorry for you. Time to get your Cajun on!  :drool:
Not all food storage has to be freeze dried...
 
Have a great day folks.
Jamie
 
 

I gotta go to Krogers today for a few things anyway so will add whole chickens to the list. Then might come home and test drive one of these Cajun dishes................:cheers:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I gotta go to Krogers today for a few things anyway so will add whole chickens to the list. Then might come home and test drive one of these Cajun dishes................:cheers:

I forgot to attach this pic in my first post. Just in case they give you a runaround Bersa.

Caution...Tony's is addictive! :)

20180402_084228.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, prag said:

I forgot to attach this pic in my first post. Just in case they give you a runaround Bersa.

Caution...Tony's is addictive! :)

20180402_084228.jpg

If they are not sold out they won't give me any issues and already have Tonys up in my spice cabinet so got that covered!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I smoked a couple of these a few weeks ago, de-boned the meat and chopped it up in the food processor, and made smoked chicken raviolis.  Looks like I'll have to stock up and get the smoker going again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I am going to be stopping at Krogers on the way home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just there 20 minutes ago and thr butcher said they never had any at that price. Must have been a select few stores that had them and not all stores. May have been just a Knoxville area thing and not all stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whew! Glad I took the pic! :eek:

I even asked the meat department manager...West Knoxville/Farragut store. Sorry it's not available in other locations folks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, prag said:

Whew! Glad I took the pic! :eek:

I even asked the meat department manager...West Knoxville/Farragut store. Sorry it's not available in other locations folks.

 

Not your fault buddy some folks have all the luck and that time it was yours. I went up to my Krogers prepared to buy about 10 of them so look at the money I saved............LMAO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an effort to make amends for posting what turned out to be a one day only manager special...I checked again yesterday and the fryers were back up to $0.88/lb.

Here is the recipe for Tony's Seasoning. It from Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook. I picked up my copy around 1978-79 and started making this seasoning....long before it was manufactured commercially.

link to cookbook:

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Cajun-Country-Cookbook/dp/0960458018

 

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

 
 Recipe By     : Tony Chachere

 
 
   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
 --------  ------------  --------------------------------

 
   26      ounces        salt

 
    1 1/2  ounces        black pepper – ground

 
    2      ounces        red pepper – ground

 
    1      ounce         garlic powder 

 
    1      ounce         chili powder

 
    1      ounce         Monosodium glutamate -- (Accent)

 
 Mix well and use like s  When it's salty enough, it's seasoned to perfection.  For barbeque and fried foods:  Season food all over.  Cook as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, prag said:

This is an effort to make amends for posting what turned out to be a one day only manager special...I checked again yesterday and the fryers were back up to $0.88/lb.

Here is the recipe for Tony's Seasoning. It from Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook. I picked up my copy around 1978-79 and started making this seasoning....long before it was manufactured commercially.

link to cookbook:

https://www.amazon.com/Tony-Chacheres-Cajun-Country-Cookbook/dp/0960458018

 


Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning


 

 Recipe By     : Tony Chachere


 

 

   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method

 --------  ------------  --------------------------------


 

   26      ounces        salt


 

    1 1/2  ounces        black pepper – ground


 

    2      ounces        red pepper – ground


 

    1      ounce         garlic powder 


 

    1      ounce         chili powder


 

    1      ounce         Monosodium glutamate -- (Accent)


 

 Mix well and use like s  When it's salty enough, it's seasoned to perfection.  For barbeque and fried foods:  Season food all over.  Cook as usual.

I’ve always known Chachere’s was basically salt but are you sure about that 26 ounces?  :eek:

Edited by Garufa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL. Yep...26 oz is a typical round bold fashioned box of salt.

I would imagine the Tony's you pick up in a grocery store is made with less salt. Home made is definitely better imho.

Have you ever seen any of the Justin Wilson cooking videos? He was on MS public or Educational TV back in my younger days. It'd probably frighten most "health conscious" folks to see the amount of salt he routinely used in preparing his most excellent Cajun dishes. :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, prag said:

LOL. Yep...26 oz is a typical round bold fashioned box of salt.

I would imagine the Tony's you pick up in a grocery store is made with less salt. Home made is definitely better imho.

Have you ever seen any of the Justin Wilson cooking videos? He was on MS public or Educational TV back in my younger days. It'd probably frighten most "health conscious" folks to see the amount of salt he routinely used in preparing his most excellent Cajun dishes. :drool:

I do remember watching Justin back in the day but wasn’t paying attention to what he was cooking, just digging the way he talked. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I do remember watching Justin back in the day but wasn’t paying attention to what he was cooking, just digging the way he talked. 

You should have paid attention you could have learned a thing or seven.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

Footer title

This is an example of a list.

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

Footer title

This content can be configured within your theme settings in your ACP. You can add any HTML including images, paragraphs and lists.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines