9mm Carbines- What's The Best? What To Avoid?

A516

I have lately read magazine articles and seen shows on TV about the new 9mm carbines being produced by Sig Sauer, Ruger, etc.  I am looking for any information on these carbines (the good/the bad/the ugly).  Any information is appreciated.

I have a PSA 9mm carbine that I love. I upgraded the trigger using JP reduced power springs since the ramped bolt wouldn’t work with a Geissle or Hiperfire.

I also recently bought a 4” PSS 9mm pistol upper. I used the Tork Mag glock conversion in a standard AR pistol lower that I have. I’ve run 50 rounds through it with no issues. Oddly enough, that lower has a Hiperfire trigger and it works great with the ramped bolt.

So for me, PSA has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I will confess ---- I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine  :eek:           There, I said it!

It's actually a lot of fun to shoot, and has a lifetime warranty, though I've never had any issues with it. 

I'd like to have one of the new Rugers.

My father in law has an older one and my son took his first deer with it.

I have some AR9 style 9mm "pistols". I like them. Woukd be easy to  hold one into a carbine instead.

Marlin camp guns are great pieces just beef up the recoil buffer and spring. 9mm versions can still be had for reasonable money as long as you are willing to overlook some bumps and bruises.

Hi Points, as noted by QS, are good fun for the investment price.

Ruger PC's (old style) are excellent and way overbuilt. The new ones look to be the same but not having owned one yet I can only say they appear to be a similar gun with an uglier appearence.

I have 2  AR uppers in 9 & 45 and I am waiting on the right lower to come along.

CZ Scoprion carbine was also a great piece but someone loved it more than I did :)

All pieces that served me well

I have a Ruger Carbine in 40 caliber. I purchased it several years ago from a Rutherford County Deputy, through a local gun store. He had a  massive heart attack and had to get rid of the carbine. I really like it however I had to send it back t Ruger as it broke the ejector. They repaired it, no charge, and sent it back to me, on their dime, even though I was not the original buyer of the carbine. My experience with their customer service has been great. I have put 500 rounds through it since I have owned it.

My 40 caliber looks just like the new nine caliber.      

Edited by pop pop
16 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I will confess ---- I have a Hi Point 9mm carbine  :eek:           There, I said it!

It's actually a lot of fun to shoot, and has a lifetime warranty, though I've never had any issues with it. 

I'd like to have one of the new Rugers.

HiPoint here as well, got me on the road to loving PCCs.

I'd also like to have a new Ruger, but other than higher mag capacity and non proprietary mags, want and need are not lining up.

I'd definitely have something in .40-.45-10mm if I carried or shot those calibers.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

HiPoint here as well, got me on the road to loving PCCs.

I'd also like to have a new Ruger, but other than higher mag capacity and non proprietary mags, want and need are not lining up.

I'd definitely have something in .40-.45-10mm if I carried or shot those calibers.

Well, now I'm into double-confession.  Yikes!  I also have a Hi Point .45 carbine. It's even more fun than the 9mm, but definitely way more expensive to just blast away with, so the 9 usually gets the action when it's carbine time.

• Like 1

I have a Sub-2000 and a Marlin Camp 9.  I really like both of them.  I plan to get a PSA 9mm Carbine if I can ever sort out what is what with them.  I can't seem to figure out which upper goes with what lower by the descriptions.

I shoot USPSA PCC division with a JP Enterprise GMR-15.  This may be the best overall 9mm rifle out there.  I have 2571 rounds through mine at this point without any issues.  There are two models of the JP and they are the GMR-15 which locks back on the last round or the GMR-13 which does not lock back on the last round.  You can also get the JP with a side charger handle, but that is an extra $600 option. I purchased mine from Shooters Connection for $1811.00. They are a little pricey but will worth the money.  Others I have seen work well are the Sig MPX models and the CZ Scorpion EVO from the CZ Custom shop.  A new one on the market, but I have not see in action is the MBX Pro Series PPC Rifle.  Shooters Connection just put three of these on their website today.

I have TWO Hi-Point 9mms now!  One mounted with a red dot and the other just has the iron sights.  I like the looks of the Ruger, but not enough to pop down $600.  That's a bit extravagant for my tastes.  I'd like a Keltec 2000 with the Glock mags.

• Like 1

I have a Gen 2 SUB-2000 and am very pleased with it. Very accurate and fun to shoot especially with 33rd Glock mags. Wife says it looks like a toy but it makes a good and serious truck gun.

Edited by styx

I have been happy with my Gen 2 Sub 2000. Been tempted on the new Ruger and may eventually get one but hard to justify the money for something I already have a good equivalent, when there are so many other toys to buy.

Thanks for all of the good information and comments.  Looks like there are lot of good choices.  It seems to depend on budget, operation controls and features.

Edited by A516

These look interesting for us HiPoint guys

https://www.redballsports.net/

If the mag lips are robust enough to stay in spec, they certainly solve the leading complaint of capacity and reliable feeding. 

In my case, if they work, I truly don't need another 9mm carbine considering occasional use and application.

Will start googling reviews, if positive, will purchase and review here.

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, tacops said:

I have a Sub-2000 and a Marlin Camp 9.  I really like both of them.  I plan to get a PSA 9mm Carbine if I can ever sort out what is what with them.  I can't seem to figure out which upper goes with what lower by the descriptions.

LOL! It can be very confusing with PSA ordering. It took me a while as well, but finally did get it all sorted out. I recently bought a 4" 9 upper to go the pistol route with. It will look just so cute.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...