Colion Noir & Killer Mike

• Moderators

Killer Mike is a rapper who campaigned for Bernie in the last election. He’s also a hardcore 2A advocate in the black community, an NRA member and  a Southerner. Over the last couple of weeks he has received a lot, and I mean A LOT of flack over this interview that he did on NRA TV with Colion Noir. While he has made statements since the release taking issue with how it was initially utilized to contrast with the March for Our Lives (which was discussed in the video) I think there is a lot that can be learned from in this discussion. It’s long, but I believe well worth the watch. 

To anyone one who does take this journey with me, are there any points that really stuck out to you? For me there are definitely a few, such as his specific criticisms of the Democratic Party and white progressives not being real allies to black folks and how the NRA played a vital role during the civil rights era. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

To anyone one who does take this journey with me, are there any points that really stuck out to you? 

For me, in reinforces the fact that we need to stop putting people in boxes. Not all Republicans are pro gun. Not all democrats are anti-gun. I recently found a group on Reddit for liberal gun owners. There are 17,000 members in that group. Every day they are posting new content in opposition to ANY new gun laws. 

I shared this video with my anti-gun coworker who happens to be black. Even he admitted that what they are discussing makes sense. He doesn't agree with every point but the video has at least introduced him to an opposing viewpoint that he may not have considered.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Excellent, Erik. Chip away at the negative narrative bit by bit and eventually it crumbles. 

That brings up another vitally important point from the discussion. The media narrative of the black gun owner needs to be changed to more accurately reflect the truth. When I still worked in the retail in Memphis I was open about being a gun guy. Most of my coworkers were black and I took any that were up for the experience to the range. More than a few took me up on the offer. I wish I had steered more towards the NRA at the time. (This discussion helped remind me that for all my complaints with them, there is still a lot of good history and potential for more good from them. Membership getting renewed post haste.) 

I also discovered that quite a few, especially the young black men had been steered towards Lorcins, Cobras, Jennings, Jimminez, etc. at the gun shops they visited. These were guys looking to have a gun to defend themselves and their families. Why would anyone steer them towards crap like that?  I knew the answer then like I know it now and it still pisses me off. 

I know it probably seems like I focus quite a bit on the subjects of race as it relates to us gun owners but that is borne of my experience as a Memphian who worked in and around inner city urban areas. Whether I risk sounding paternalistic and/or opportunistic, I believe that there is the ability to strengthen the position of gun owners by making a concerted effort to bring more black folks into the gun rights political fold. In doing so we may be able to force the Democrats to back off from being the party of full disarmament if one of their key constituencies starts telling them they aren’t about that gun ban business.