Good Low to Middle of the Road Priced .357 Mag Revolvers

Moped

Been getting a hankering for another revolver of late.  I currently only own one Ruger single action in .357.  Yesterday day I stopped at two LGS and attempted to checkout some offerings in .357mag.  First of all, I am not looking for something for canceled carry.  I really want at least a 3" barrel and and 6 shots in either blue or stainless. And I'd like it to be under $500.  It seems all that's available are snubbies.  All the full sized versions looked like they were rode hard and put up wet AND they wanted a premium for them. Are there any full sized revolvers, at a decent price being made anymore?

Unless you are really, really lucky you’re not going to find a full sized .357 under $500 that isn’t cosmetically challenged.  New ones in that range just don’t exist that I know of.

SIA on Middlebrook does have a S&W model 13 in the case that doesn’t look all that bad for $599.99 without original grips and box of course that they might work with you on depending on who you talk to but I can’t guarantee that.  Saw it yesterday but didn’t even ask to see it as that model is one of my “needs” but I want a P&R with proper grips.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Wheelgunner said:

Armslist shows a blued 3" EAA for $300 in Knoxville.

If the budget is under $500 and it has to be .357 (instead of. 38 Special), then your best bet is finding a Charter, Rossi, or EAA at a pawn shop.

Academy usually does a charter full sized .357 door buster every Black Friday . My brother got one a few years back for almost nothing . 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Moped said:

How good a revolver is a EAA Windicator?

I have a EAA Windicator in a 2" barrel that I bought off a member a while back. I like it. It works well and so far goes bang with any ammo. 

The key is patience. I picked up a .357 Dan Wesson with a shorter barrel a while back in that price range. I have seen other longer barrel models of various makers in that range, but I prefer a short barrel myself. 

There is a .357 blue Ruger GP100 on Armslist in the TriCities for $475 with case and holster. 

It all depends on how much you "need" it "now"

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I have a EAA Windicator in a 2" barrel that I bought off a member a while back. I like it. It works well and so far goes bang with any ammo. 

The key is patience. I picked up a .357 Dan Wesson with a shorter barrel a while back in that price range. I have seen other longer barrel models of various makers in that range, but I prefer a short barrel myself. 

There is a .357 blue Ruger GP100 on Armslist in the TriCities for $475 with case and holster. 

It all depends on how much you "need" it "now"

I had a Dan Wesson .357 yrs ago. One of the best shooters I ever shot. Different size bbls, "if" you can find 'em.

Back in the 1980s,  Dan Wessons had more shooting titles than all other brands combined, getting 70-80% of steel silhouette championships. 

Check this out: http://www.shootingtimes.com/handguns/handgun_reviews_wesson_041306/  

They are fantastic shooters.  You can buy them very reasonably priced, but not often, at gunauction.com  or gunbroker.com     They  should be priced way higher than the $700 or so that I see winning bids from time to time.

• Like 2

Stopped at Crossroad Guns in Fountain City and looked at a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. Nice pistol, but priced more than I wanted to pay at $549.  Also looked at a Taurus 66 with a 4" barrel.  I wasn't every impressed with the lockup on that one though.  Jimbo100 turned me on to a Dan Wesson, that I may go look at though!

That's a nice looking S&W 65 in the Classifieds, but I'm not looking to drive to Middle Tennessee.

2 hours ago, Moped said:

Stopped at Crossroad Guns in Fountain City and looked at a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. Nice pistol, but priced more than I wanted to pay at $549.  Also looked at a Taurus 66 with a 4" barrel.  I wasn't every impressed with the lockup on that one though.  Jimbo100 turned me on to a Dan Wesson, that I may go look at though!

That's a nice looking S&W 65 in the Classifieds, but I'm not looking to drive to Middle Tennessee.

The very first weapon i ever bought was an SP 101. They were retailing for $300 back then. I had no idea that they had gone up so much.  It was a very good little pistol.

I've had two 2" SP101s over the years and both were great revolvers.  I think I paid $325 for one and $350 for the other one.  One was a .38 and the other, a .357.  I also had a S&W 19 with the 2&3/4" barrel.  I like the Rugers better.  I also had a S&W 13 4" that I traded for the first of two Mini 14s.  Should have kept the .357. The latest one was a used Ruger Security 6 in 6".  Another great pistol, but that 6" barrel was just too long.  Traded it for a Winchester 30/30.  Again, should have kept the .357.

Your best bet is to find a used Taurus.  When they are good, they are as good as S&W.  But when they are bad, they are nothing but trouble.  Find one that has been used but not abused.  Take it for a range test.  If it's good, go for it.

You might get lucky and find an older Ruger under $500. Another possibility is the Astra.  The revolvers were good, but got a bad rap because some Spanish pistols are shoddy.

• Like 1
Your best bet is to find a used Taurus.  When they are good, they are as good as S&W.  But when they are bad, they are nothing but trouble.  Find one that has been used but not abused.  Take it for a range test.  If it's good, go for it.
You might get lucky and find an older Ruger under $500. Another possibility is the Astra.  The revolvers were good, but got a bad rap because some Spanish pistols are shoddy.
Haven't seen an Astra in years! Those were the Comanche and Super Comanche I believe.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

On 4/10/2018 at 8:27 PM, tntnixon said:

The very first weapon i ever bought was an SP 101. They were retailing for $300 back then. I had no idea that they had gone up so much.  It was a very good little pistol.

I have been wanting an SP101 for some time as a 'little brother' to my GP100.  Bought a DAO version this last Saturday at a shop in Loudon and $549 was the price tag on it so that is apparently pretty much the going rate for new, now.  In fact, as I originally really wanted the hammered version, I called a couple of other shops to see if they had a hammered SP101.  They only had the DAO version in the standard models, as well and the price at at least one of those shops was $20 or so more than the one I bought.  One place had a 'match grade' version - which I assume is hammered and am sure would have been really nice - for $100 more.

I have to admit that $549 would have been a little steep for my gun budget these days but I traded some I wasn't using and ended up getting it for those plus $99.  Barring something really bad happening, I don't foresee me letting go of the SP101 or the GP100 as long as I am able to hold and fire them - even if I can eventually only handle .38 Special out of them.  I also have an S&W 642 which is also DAO that I have had for a few years and even brand new and not broken in at all I think the trigger pull on the Ruger is nicer than on the Smith.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

Be patient and by a good revolver.  The money you put into a good quality revolver will be well spent and it will retain it's value.  I have purchased the more affordable revolvers in the past with mixed results. I would not buy anything but Ruger or S&W but when I was younger money was a big issue so I understand where you are coming from. The EAA is German made. The Ruger GP-100 is like wearing an anvil on your side, but it will hammer out hot .357 loads all day. I'll get so hot you can iron your shirts with it.  

Edited by Will Carry
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, JAB said:

I have been wanting an SP101 for some time as a 'little brother' to my GP100.  Bought a DAO version this last Saturday at a shop in Loudon and $549 was the price tag on it so that is apparently pretty much the going rate for new, now.  In fact, as I originally really wanted the hammered version, I called a couple of other shops to see if they had a hammered SP101.  They only had the DAO version in the standard models, as well and the price at at least one of those shops was $20 or so more than the one I bought.  One place had a 'match grade' version - which I assume is hammered and am sure would have been really nice - for $100 more.

I have to admit that $549 would have been a little steep for my gun budget these days but I traded some I wasn't using and ended up getting it for those plus $99.  Barring something really bad happening, I don't foresee me letting go of the SP101 or the GP100 as long as I am able to hold and fire them - even if I can eventually only handle .38 Special out of them.  I also have an S&W 642 which is also DAO that I have had for a few years and even brand new and not broken in at all I think the trigger pull on the Ruger is nicer than on the Smith.

As a die-hard Smith revolver fan...I grudgingly admit that some of the Rugers do have fantastic triggers right out of the box. As far as the SP101, I've had several over the years. Actually bought 2 at the same time once. I found a shop closing and he made me a good price on a pair. One with a hammer and a Crimson Trace grip model that was hammerless.

I sold the hammer version a while back, but still have the other one...unfired. lol Safe queen.

I really should try and sell it.

• Like 1

Actually went a bit different route.  Put a Taurus 627 Tracker 4" in lay-a-way at Harvey's yesterday.  I know I'm taking a bit of a chance on the Taurus, but recently I've had two of the PT111 G2 and both have been excellent pistols.  I saw the Tracker and checked it out.  Really nice smooth trigger and it felt good in the hand.  Looked at a couple of S&Ws and Rugers and they were very nice too, but just looking, I could tell that there was a $200 or $300  difference in the three.  So I went this the Taurus.  This is more of a fun/farm gun anyway.  Doubt I will carry it much.