Good Low to Middle of the Road Priced .357 Mag Revolvers

Moped

18 hours ago, DaveTN said:

How time flies. I remember when $500 would buy two S&W K Frames or a Python with a basket weave duty holster and several boxes of ammo. :)

OK, I'm old, but not that old! :)

My first S&W was a .357 Model 13, that I paid $250 for. Later on a bought a Model 10 that was  Police Trade in from TDOC.  Great shooting pistol!  Got it for $149+tax and BGC.  Later it was stolen. :(  That was back in 1993 ( I thank).  Had some other S&Ws, but those two were my favs.  But you are right, some of their pistols have gone out of sight.  You won't find a 686 for less than 7 or 8 bills new.  They are getting to be collector pieces like the Colt Revolvers.

Where S&W is doing it right with revolvers, though, is with the J-frame snubbies.  They are still able to keep the price point low and are still a viable option.  Yes you can get a Rossi or a Taurus about $50 to $100 cheaper, but at that price point, I would go ahead and pay the difference and get the S&W.  But I just couldn't justify the difference ($200-$300) for a shooter grade larger pistol like I was wanting, this time around.  I think I will continue to look for a nice S&W or Ruger to come my way, but for now the itch has been scratched... or will be when I get it out of lay-a-way.

6 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

It is machine engraving but what’s your point?

It just strikes me as funny. Rubber grips and engraving.

My son has a SP101, and it is a solid gun. I like it. It just isn't something I would have pictured engraving on.

I’d go find a old Ruger service or security six at that budget. Assuming it’s not abused, it’s probably the best sub $500 revolver out there—if you can find one. 

I picked one up off the TGO about 6-7 yeas ago for $350 I believe. Best shooting revolver I have outside of the Dan Wesson’s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moped said:

OK, I'm old, but not that old! :)

My first S&W was a .357 Model 13, that I paid $250 for. Later on a bought a Model 10 that was  Police Trade in from TDOC.  Great shooting pistol!  Got it for $149+tax and BGC.  Later it was stolen. :(  That was back in 1993 ( I thank).  Had some other S&Ws, but those two were my favs. 

My first duty gun was a blue Model 19. Police price was $175. :)

I shot on the PD pistol team in the early 80’s and tried three different Pythons; I bought them for $300-$400 used.

3 hours ago, Moped said:

But you are right, some of their pistols have gone out of sight.  You won't find a 686 for less than 7 or 8 bills new.  They are getting to be collector pieces like the Colt Revolvers.

Grab a gun is selling them for $669 + transfer fee, Buds is selling them for $706.58 plus a transfer fee. If you watch you can get them used for around $550. The problem with used is people putting a pre-lock price on them. However, there is a pre-lock on GOC right now for $625. I've seen 19 and 66's go for $500. You have to act fast when they show up, but they show up occasionally.

https://grabagun.com/s-w-686-6-plus-4-357-sts-7sh.html

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26266/S%26W+M686+Plus+7RD+357MAG%2F38SP+%2BP+4

• Like 1