AT&T Field Techs with Armed Security

jhc77

Just curious as to when this started? Little ol' Spring Hill, TN is booming and just won't stop so I understand new lines and "switchboard thingy's" need to be put in. Up to a couple of days ago I've now seen two instances of this. I don't care really that they are doing this, just why the armed guys?  One of the locations was an underground set up and the other above ground on the other side of the city. I can't think of a decent reason cause I don't relate to the work they do. Any info is brain food for me.

Thanks, me

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Paranoia over ROW issues?

Yes, I was going to say this. Having experience in a similar field, it is rather a quite common thing for homeowners to go absolutely off the wall regarding ROW (Right of Way) or easements. A lot of times these workers get threatened themselves. @conn_air7 was once, to some extent, threatened to be "confronted or killed" for turning the company truck around in someone's driveway.

Edited by CZ9MM
9 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Yes, I was going to say this. Having experience in a similar field, it is rather a quite common thing for homeowners to go absolutely off the wall regarding ROW (Right of Way) or easements. A lot of times these workers get threatened themselves. @conn_air7 was once, to some extent, threatened to be "confronted or killed" for turning the company truck around in someone's driveway.

WHat a world we live in....

I have never been one to support the taking away of anyones personal property by utility companies or expansion or so called improvements. The government does it often and I think it is wrong. I had a friend that owned a house he and his family lived in near Nashville Airport next to north/south runway glide path for planes landing and taking off and on take off it would shake the windows in his house. His house was in a housing developement that was there before that runway was built. There was 37 houses in it so everyone got together and filed a lawsuit to get something done and the airport lost and had to spend a few million dollars sound proofing all of the houses. It worked cause planes could take off and you could not hear or feel anything. About 8 years later the airport was looking at doing an expansion and in the long range plan that housing developement would be consumed by the airport and the people filed another suit. And again they won and the airport had 2 options. Kill the expansion or buy everyones house. My buddys house value went from about 95,000.00 to 880,000.00 and they settled on $685,000.00 and he sold and moved. It's not very often a lawsuit like these are won but I think the Airport didn't want to spend the money fighting it and then it be bad for them in the news but for what ever reason they just paid the prices they negoiated to with each home owner and so far the Airport has not made changes except bulldozed all the houses and leveled the land as far as i can tel last time I drove down I- 40.  

50 minutes ago, Pain103 said:

AT&T hires LEO to be with them for traffic puproses. They might be with one crew all day and they move around. 

Both times I noted above traffic control wasn’t an issue at all. But at any point besides the 30 seconds it took me to pass them they could run into needing traffic control. Could be like other comments where you can have irate folks yelling in the ears of these guys if they are digging or working in neighborhoods. They sent outsourced door-knockers thru my neighborhood in the fall. They ignored no soliciting signs and I reminded them constantly. 

Edited by jhc77
Run on

Most places they use local PD for traffic control when they are working on the side of the road.    Most around here (Chattanooga) use their personal car with lights.   I often see them wearing a "casual" uniform and open carrying.