Sometimes life just SUCKS!!!!!

Sometimes life just sucks and today is one of mine!! I moved into this cottage in 1997 and have made it my perect man cave. Live here through 4 different landlords and have always paid my rent erly or on time. I have not tore nothing up over the years but have repaired a few things more folks would have called the landlord to come and fix, like replacing a  kitchen faucet of bathroom sink faucet but I just went and bought one and put it in. I figure it tore up on my watch so I fixed it n my watch. I have a buddy of mine that comes and cuts all the grass for the entire triplex and has since my mwer went down 7 years ago so landlord does not have to cut it or paid to have it cut. I just learned from the guy that use to live up front why he moved. He got an eviction notice he had 30 days to vacate because this newest landlord of 4 years was wanting to renovate that apartment that was already rented and guy was never late on his rent and was seldom home except on weekends because he drives truck. So today I learn that when he is done with that apartment he has told the other tennant that when he is done he will be evicting her so he can renovate an apartment that is already rented. The lady living there has been living there 23 years and is 76 years old and not in good health physically. She has never been late on her rent in 23 years but he is kicking her out. I found out today that when he has completed both of the front units I'm next so sometime between now and probably late Summer I will be getting my notice. He told me it won't be right away but yes he wants to renovate this unit also. I have never heard of a landlord kicking out tenants that have been living in the same place for 20+ years and never been late on their rent and not tearing the places up just kicking people out to remodel a place!!!

I do have a place to go when the time comes but it's not where I want to live. I want to live right here. My daughter and SIL have a cottage behind their house I could have moved into 15 years ago and not had to pay any rent, just utilities but I stayed here because i like it here. So SIL has said he will fix the cottage up and make sure everything is working like it should and it will be ready when this BOZO kicks me out. I have already called my buddy and told him to quit cutting the grass so he will have to do it or pay to have it done. If he is going to evict me for that silly ass reason I will not make life easy for him. I have spent that last couple hours looking on line to see if there is any way I can fight him and make his life hell in court while I am still here once he serves me. So I don't know if any of y'all know where Alexandria is but thats where I will be living sooner or later. I think it has a Gordonsville mailing address. They don't have cable which thats fine but I have to see what kind of internet I can get out there besides phone dial up. I might end up putting in satelite internet but it is what it is.

So anyway thats been my day so far. I hope every one else is having a better one than I am...........:mad::mad::wall:

I didn't realize they could kick someone out unless it was for cause.  Sounds like some kind of rent control tactic to evict lower paying tenants to get higher paying renters in.  I'd contact someone, though I don't know who that would be.

• Like 1

Wish I could get tenants like you. They are few and far between now days. As for his reason for this I don't understand it. He could always make repairs with you there and as for a rent increase then let him do it at the end of you lease it's his right I guess. Then let you decide if you want to pay it or move

13 minutes ago, bigun said:

Wish I could get tenants like you. They are few and far between now days. As for his reason for this I don't understand it. He could always make repairs with you there and as for a rent increase then let him do it at the end of you lease it's his right I guess. Then let you decide if you want to pay it or move

He just went up on everyones rent 3 months ago. Mine went up $50.00 and that is the second increase since he bought the place. Did I mention the fact that he is a Foreigner from one of those arabic 3rd world countries. He says he is Jordian but I know thats a lie. They will never tell you the truth about what country they are from but I do know one thing for sure. He is scare to death of me. I have heard him arguing with the truck driver when he first served him. I have heard him arguing with the old womans family up front about it but he never argues with me about anything but always very very nice to me and he made sure when he told me about my future booting out he had like 4 people with him and he has never had anyone come with him before.

He always comments on all the targets I have hangng all over the walls and asks me if I have been shooting recently when he comes by to pick up the rent. Even if I have not been I tell him yea yesterday and then I tell him I am still dead on and he changes the subject. He has stooped by a couple times when BT and I would be coming from the range and I would be open carry and he glances and  at least 10 times at the gun while he is talking to me in the yard. I know it bothers him as he has told Ronnie, my next door neighbor a couple times about seeing my gun and Ronnie told him one time that a lot of times he probably doesn't see the other ones I have concealed and even though I don't Ronnie like to poke at the guy. Ronnie says the guys eyes got big when he said that. I just laughed. We are taking bets on whether he has the Kahoonas to hand me the eviction like he did the truck driver and he will to the old woman up front or will he have a LEO bring me mine. I'm betting it's a LEO.

• Haha 1

Bersa, I really hate to hear the aggravation this causes, but it sounds like life may be better in the future by making the move.  Not to mention, if your daughter is a good cook you may score a home cooked  meal once in a while that you don't have to cook.

• Like 1

The market is crazy these days.  House sales and rents have skyrocketed way past what they are worth.  My daughter was looking for a place recently and couldnt find anything decent in a decent area that was affordable.  Im a renter also, and have been in my house for I guess 18 years,  My landlord is a low maintenance kinda guy, just fixed things that break, but not a lot of preventive maintenance other than the roof.  BSo my house is a little run down in spots, but serviceable.  The good news is he hasnt raisd the renbt but once in all those years and then onbly a year ago by 50 bucks.  So I have a 3 bedroom house ina  nice area with a huge fenced in back yard for a very affordable rate.  I just hope he continues to apprciate the value of a tenant that has paid rent on time every month for 18 years over a fact buck form rainsing the rent.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, tacops said:

Bersa, I really hate to hear the aggravation this causes, but it sounds like life may be better in the future by making the move.  Not to mention, if your daughter is a good cook you may score a home cooked  meal once in a while that you don't have to cook.

Home cooked meal sounds good but she does not cook very much any more since all the kids have left the nest. I do more home cooking than she does. Plus she works and SIL works damn near 7 days a week so I will be living in the wildness and most of the time by myself. At least here I have neighbors I can visit with and count on should something happen. The only advantage I see is I can walk out my back door and burn some powder at a few targets once in a while cause it is definately in the country. I probably would not mind so much if I were 20 years younger. As it is now I am driving 62 miles one way to my doctor every 3 months. Now I will be driving about 140 one way. I am driving about 12 miles to Darby's vet. Can add at least another 70 one way to that trip so it will be about 82 one way.

6 minutes ago, peejman said:

Bummer. Sounds like he's going to flip the whole unit.  You've got some time to look for docs closer to your new digs. 

You are in a good location, spiff up the units and he can charge more.

You'd think he'd give current tenants first right of refusal.

If he's putting the reno'd units on a month to month, I'm with peej, get in shape to flip

5 minutes ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

The market is crazy these days.  House sales and rents have skyrocketed way past what they are worth.  My daughter was looking for a place recently and couldnt find anything decent in a decent area that was affordable.  Im a renter also, and have been in my house for I guess 18 years,  My landlord is a low maintenance kinda guy, just fixed things that break, but not a lot of preventive maintenance other than the roof.  BSo my house is a little run down in spots, but serviceable.  The good news is he hasnt raisd the renbt but once in all those years and then onbly a year ago by 50 bucks.  So I have a 3 bedroom house ina  nice area with a huge fenced in back yard for a very affordable rate.  I just hope he continues to apprciate the value of a tenant that has paid rent on time every month for 18 years over a fact buck form rainsing the rent.

I Know what you mean when you say houses and rent have gone out of sight. I have been looking at places in areas I wouldn't let Darby my dog live in and they want $1200.00 a month for them.  I am on my 5th landlord since moving in here and each time I held my breath and each time got great people and maybe a 25 buck a month rent increase. Fine, I can deal with that. When I met this guy when he was a prospect looking to buy I prayed he would not get it by my prayers went un answered that time. 

Well I'm sure its all about the mighty dollar whether he is going to flip them or just double the rent and rent them back out but if he is wanting to flip them you would assume it would look better to a potential buyer that the units are rented with very long term renters than trying to sell and empty complex but then I am convinced that the guy is an idiot regardless of his thinking. I have not been comfortable since he bought them because you never know how those people think to begin with. I do have an ace in the hole and you know what they say about Pay backs. I have enough evidence I could make his life a living hell that he has no clue about. When a previous owner had these units thye had an electrical issue and I had a buddy of mine that is a Professional Electrical  Contractor help the people out and do the repair. He didn't tell the owners what he found but he said if the codes people ever went up in that attic they would condem the entire complex and stop anyone from renting here in any complex until  the entire complex is rewired and inspected  He said there are live wires all over the place just sticking up not attached to anything. He did a real look at it and said the place is a ticking time bomb and major fire just waiting to happen. Also in the rear of my cottage is a hallway connecting my cottage to the duplex because back years ago they would not let the original property owner rent this cottage until it was part of the duplex so he added the hall way which is also my fire escape doorway in case of fire it is required to have front and rear fire exits. This clown sealed up that hallway closing off my rear fire exit. They will make him remodel that and ad a back door to this cottage before he can rent it.

Oh yea my electrical guy put in writing what he found up in the attic and it is what I will be giving to codes when I am gone. Remember what I said about Pay Backs???? Pretty hard to sell or rent a place that is condemed by Codes. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, bigun said:

Wish you could just go and leave him holding the bag.

If I leave here I would almost guarantee he will be stuck with a worthless piece of property unless he spends a fortune to make it sellable or rentable. My buddy said Codes will probably make him rewire all three units. The original house wiring is total junk as the original house was built in the mid 40's and then when the first addition was added on in the mid 60's the guy doing the work tied the new wiring into the old. This one I am living in was the last one built and he converted a 2 car garage into this cottage and he just had to put a new roof on it a year ago and it is over 35 years old.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

Call the local news and if it is a slow news week you might get the "watchdog" reporter to look into it. At least give him bad publicity.

You might anonymously mail him a card for a lawyer with a note saying he might need one at tge rate he is going...lol

Not sure if this is exactly right, but know the law and make him dot every I before you move. Eviction is more than a note saying 'get out'

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/steps-that-must-be-taken-and-followed-in-an-eviction-proceeding-in-east-tennessee

• Like 1

Let me add another revelation I forgot to mention. There is an out building used for tenants to store stuff temporarily with a carport built off either side of the building. Some of the car port lights went out and I was going to put new bulbs in so I walk in my house and start looking for the breaker to turn the building off. Turned off every one of them and none of them control the building. I went up and ask the old woman if I could turn off her power for a couple seconds and she said yes, so while looking at the lights still lit I shut down her main and the lights remained on. I wanted till the truck driver came home and I ask him if he would cut his power to kill the building and he did bu the bulding remained lit up . So the building is getting power from a circuit in one of the houses but do nt run through any of the fuses or breakers in any of the powoer sources. I'm sure Codes will be interested in knowing that one also.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Eh. Stuff happens. This doesn't make your life easier but I respect the owner's right. It's his property that he owns and lets other people live in for money. There are laws regarding this sort of thing, but if he follows the correct procedure he can and should be able to "evict" anyone with zero cause at all. That's how freedom is supposed to work, anyways. His property, his say. Now, I think there is something like 30-90 days from the time he "evicts you" that you have to actually be gone. I think there are probably certified letters involved.

My thoughts? Either do the right thing or do the right thing. I too was in a somewhat similar situation (landlord wanted to sell the house as fast as possible, I didn't want to stick around for "home showings" and a possible new landlord. I moved out and as quick as possible.

If you have somewhere to go, you could leave immediately and not pay another penny in rent. That'd cut potentially a few thousand out of his pocket over the next few months, as he knows he isn't going to sign another six or twelve month lease with a new tenant. He could go month to month, but that'd sure be screwing someone over renting to a new tenant knowing you'll kick them out in a few months.

You could theoretically stop paying rent. He could serve you eviction notices early, but it'd still take 30-90 days (estimated) to actually get out.

Again, do the right thing. Just be cordial. Pay rent when you live there. Don't go nuts yanking out sinks and putting broken ones back in.

Most people in that business care not about the tenant, but only the money coming in. I wasn't late for 5 years of renting, fixed stuff as well, even patched a few drywall holes before leaving (but didn't paint). I had to fight tooth and nail via the real estate company managing the place (I went to school with the owner's daughter, they were on my side) against the landlord because he didn't think we deserved the $300 in safety deposit we put in back in 2012. We finally got it.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

Eh. Stuff happens. This doesn't make your life easier but I respect the owner's right. It's his property that he owns and lets other people live in for money. There are laws regarding this sort of thing, but if he follows the correct procedure he can and should be able to "evict" anyone with zero cause at all. That's how freedom is supposed to work, anyways. His property, his say. Now, I think there is something like 30-90 days from the time he "evicts you" that you have to actually be gone. I think there are probably certified letters involved.

My thoughts? Either do the right thing or do the right thing. I too was in a somewhat similar situation (landlord wanted to sell the house as fast as possible, I didn't want to stick around for "home showings" and a possible new landlord. I moved out and as quick as possible.

If you have somewhere to go, you could leave immediately and not pay another penny in rent. That'd cut potentially a few thousand out of his pocket over the next few months, as he knows he isn't going to sign another six or twelve month lease with a new tenant. He could go month to month, but that'd sure be screwing someone over renting to a new tenant knowing you'll kick them out in a few months.

You could theoretically stop paying rent. He could serve you eviction notices early, but it'd still take 30-90 days (estimated) to actually get out.

Again, do the right thing. Just be cordial. Pay rent when you live there. Don't go nuts yanking out sinks and putting broken ones back in.

Most people in that business care not about the tenant, but only the money coming in. I wasn't late for 5 years of renting, fixed stuff as well, even patched a few drywall holes before leaving (but didn't paint). I had to fight tooth and nail via the real estate company managing the place (I went to school with the owner's daughter, they were on my side) against the landlord because he didn't think we deserved the $300 in safety deposit we put in back in 2012. We finally got it.

Oh, don't get me wrong CZ. I plan on being very nice to him while I am still here. I will pay my rent on time and give my SIL time to get my new place fixed back up after being empty for about 12 years.

I am not a vindictive person that would tear the place up and do all kinds of damage to it when I leave. SIL said it might take a couple months with the hours he is working. The Landlord has alrady told me it might be late summer early Fall before he will be serving me and then I will have another 30-60 days to vacant. I will do all my pay backs after I have vacated the place when I give all the violatiions that exist at this address to Codes and let Codes deal with him. I have learned just today that Codes folks here are not really nice people so as I have said Paybacks can be a Bitch

You are correct, this is his property and he can do as he pleases with it but that does not mean I have to like it...............:mad:

• Like 1

I'm minded of a guy that got nailed similar to this... He worked for Lowe's, and he did a JOB on the place.

Pulled up and rolled up every inch of carpet and pad.

Unscrewed every piece of pipe.

Unfastened every wall and light socket.

Took out every foot of electrical conduit.

Yanked out the circuit breaker box.

Disassembled every stick of shelving and counter in the kitchen.

Best of all, he didn't DAMAGE any of it. Left it all in nice neat stacks. The dishwasher, disposal and fridge were left almost as clean as when shipped. The live leads to the breaker box were capped to prevent arcing.

And everything photographed.

He didn't get his deposit back, of course, and the landlord tried to sue. He claimed that he had underestimated the time it would take to reassemble everything, wanting to hand over as good as he got (evilgrin). Think he got fined... said landlord DID have to pay for another party to put it back together.

SWC, who will never be a landlord, thank heaven.

• Dislike 1
52 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

I'm minded of a guy that got nailed similar to this... He worked for Lowe's, and he did a JOB on the place.

Pulled up and rolled up every inch of carpet and pad.

Unscrewed every piece of pipe.

Unfastened every wall and light socket.

Took out every foot of electrical conduit.

Yanked out the circuit breaker box.

Disassembled every stick of shelving and counter in the kitchen.

Best of all, he didn't DAMAGE any of it. Left it all in nice neat stacks. The dishwasher, disposal and fridge were left almost as clean as when shipped. The live leads to the breaker box were capped to prevent arcing.

And everything photographed.

He didn't get his deposit back, of course, and the landlord tried to sue. He claimed that he had underestimated the time it would take to reassemble everything, wanting to hand over as good as he got (evilgrin). Think he got fined... said landlord DID have to pay for another party to put it back together.

SWC, who will never be a landlord, thank heaven.

Well according to my Electrical Contractor I won't have to do anything negative to my cottage. He said when Codes gets done processing all of the electrical disorders and dangers that are already done by previous additions contractors and not putting new service in but tying into the electrical system that was installed in 1945 will be more than enough to get the property condemed. He said he counted at least 20 to 25 hot wires exposed and not connected to anything. He tested them to see if they were hot and was shocked to see them all were hot. Then we have a building out back that is powered by one of the units but not on any breakers of fuse panel in original house so that means it is tied into a hot wire system feeding it with a direct hot and ground that is hooked in before any safety protection of fuse or breaker. Oh well, I will move when I am told to move and leave ths night mare to a really nice guy that deserves what follows.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well according to my Electrical Contractor I won't have to do anything negative to my cottage. He said when Codes gets done processing all of the electrical disorders and dangers that are already done by previous additions contractors and not putting new service in but tying into the electrical system that was installed in 1945 will be more than enough to get the property condemed. He said he counted at least 20 to 25 hot wires exposed and not connected to anything. He tested them to see if they were hot and was shocked to see them all were hot. Then we have a building out back that is powered by one of the units but not on any breakers of fuse panel in original house so that means it is tied into a hot wire system feeding it with a direct hot and ground that is hooked in before any safety protection of fuse or breaker. Oh well, I will move when I am told to move and leave ths night mare to a really nice guy that deserves what follows.

See, life doesn't suck for you. You are getting away from that mess and into what will likely turnout to be a better place! Then you can you, in time, find whatever place you love just as much or more.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

See, life doesn't suck for you. You are getting away from that mess and into what will likely turnout to be a better place! Then you can you, in time, find whatever place you love just as much or more.

Thanks CZ. I am going to be moving into a cottage about thr size of this one right behind my daughter and SIL's house so as he gets it back ready to live in. It has sat empty for about 15 years so it's gonna need a little Tender loving care before I can move in it but I could have moved in it 15 years ago and not been paying rent all these years. I just didn't want to live that far out in the country back then but I guess now that I am older I'm ready for some country life. I can set up a range out behid the house and burn some powder when I get ready to get some practice in. Can't do that here. They both work so getting the cottage ready will take a little while but I have that time here. Land Lord told me it would probably be late summer early Fall before he would be getting around to me.