Sometimes life just SUCKS!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Durn, Doug, it's a wonder you haven't gotten fried, with all those naked hot wires.

They are all in the attics in the two front units and not mine. This unit was built later and has it's own 200 amp breaker box and it's own meter base and weather head. The ones up front share 1 and it powers two boxes. The original glass fuse box in house built in 1945 and then the addition added in mid 60's which does have a 200 amp box.

• Admin Team

In the meantime, don't brush your teeth standing in any puddles.  Seriously, we don't want you going the Thomas Merton route...

If the dishwasher or washing machine is leaking - don't go anywhere near it. Get familiar with where the service disconnect is.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Well according to my Electrical Contractor I won't have to do anything negative to my cottage. He said when Codes gets done processing all of the electrical disorders and dangers that are already done by previous additions contractors and not putting new service in but tying into the electrical system that was installed in 1945 will be more than enough to get the property condemed. He said he counted at least 20 to 25 hot wires exposed and not connected to anything. He tested them to see if they were hot and was shocked to see them all were hot. Then we have a building out back that is powered by one of the units but not on any breakers of fuse panel in original house so that means it is tied into a hot wire system feeding it with a direct hot and ground that is hooked in before any safety protection of fuse or breaker. Oh well, I will move when I am told to move and leave ths night mare to a really nice guy that deserves what follows.

The best part is that it sounds like he will be getting to your cottage last.  This means that if Codes condemns the place it will be AFTER he spends all the money 'renovating' the other units.  You can bet that such 'renovations' will likely only be cosmetic so that he can flip the place or charge more rent.  Doubtful that he will address the safety issues.  I think you should definitely go through with the plan to inform Codes as soon as you leave.  If nothing else you just might be saving a potential, future tenant or tenants from being victims of a fire.  The fact that it will screw over this jerk of a landlord is just a nice, big bonus.  Sometimes karma will bite people in the ass and sometimes karma needs a little nudge.  It sounds like you have a pretty good karmic nudge all lined up and ready to go.

Edited by JAB
  • Admin Team
3 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

I'm minded of a guy that got nailed similar to this... He worked for Lowe's, and he did a JOB on the place.

Pulled up and rolled up every inch of carpet and pad.

Unscrewed every piece of pipe.

Unfastened every wall and light socket.

Took out every foot of electrical conduit.

Yanked out the circuit breaker box.

Disassembled every stick of shelving and counter in the kitchen.

Best of all, he didn't DAMAGE any of it. Left it all in nice neat stacks. The dishwasher, disposal and fridge were left almost as clean as when shipped. The live leads to the breaker box were capped to prevent arcing.

And everything photographed.

He didn't get his deposit back, of course, and the landlord tried to sue. He claimed that he had underestimated the time it would take to reassemble everything, wanting to hand over as good as he got (evilgrin). Think he got fined... said landlord DID have to pay for another party to put it back together.

SWC, who will never be a landlord, thank heaven.

I want to be very clear in this thread about damaging property.  

We don’t need gun owners talking about vandalism.  We’ve got enough problems. 

As much as it sucks - at least Doug is getting plenty of notice.  I expect when the time comes - if he needs it - he could negotiate a bit more time.  

Knock off the suggestions of this kind of behavior.  

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I want to be very clear in this thread about damaging property.  

We don’t need gun owners talking about vandalism.  We’ve got enough problems. 

As much as it sucks - at least Doug is getting plenty of notice.  I expect when the time comes - if he needs it - he could negotiate a bit more time.  

Knock off the suggestions of this kind of behavior.  

One thing I would never do is vandalise any landlords property regardless of notice or no notice. I have to much class for that. When I leave here the cottage will be as good or better than when I moved in it. I have lived in places that had some really bad landlords but I still never damaged the property other than normal wear and tear. I have never mentioned doing any type of vandalism to this mans property. That has already been done by people working on the units. My reporting the issues found by my Electrical Contractor to the Codes department is actually doing a servce of preventing what could turn out to be harmful to any future tenants that may be living here when the fire burns them down. As far as extra time needed I have already checked and found out that the courts will give me an extra time up to 60 days in which to complete my move but won't be necessary.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2

My advice would be to do the right thing and move on without causing any problems. You gain nothing by causing him problems and you will feel better knowing you tried to do the right think. Life throws problems at us all the time. You can't let them get to you.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Eray said:

My advice would be to do the right thing and move on without causing any problems. You gain nothing by causing him problems and you will feel better knowing you tried to do the right think. Life throws problems at us all the time. You can't let them get to you.

I gain several things by not just walking away. I gain the fact that I am going to know I was the one that turned his property in to Codes and maybe now even a fire inspection because maybe he will learn it's not right to mess over people just for profit and if the Codes does force him to do the repairs all of the greed of future profits will be spent for a while rewiring the entire complex and last but not least it will be a safer place for people to live in  in the future. So yea, I could just walk away but I'm not going to.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I gain several things by not just walking away. I gain the fact that I am going to know I was the one that turned his property in to Codes and maybe now even a fire inspection because maybe he will learn it's not right to mess over people just for profit and if the Codes does force him to do the repairs all of the greed of future profits will be spent for a while rewiring the entire complex and last but not least it will be a safer place for people to live in  in the future. So yea, I could just walk away but I'm not going to.

Well, Doug, right or wrong, I'd do the same thing you would. You can turn the other cheek, but you only have so many cheeks. Best of luck Bud.

• Like 1

One should ask themselves if it is so bad, why only make a deal of it now or after you are out. Seems a bit hypocritical. So long as it has been good for you it’s ok, but now it is a safety issue?

I get it, you’re upset as you have to move, but you should also realize that as a renter you take that chance at any time.

Life isn’t fair. We have all got the short end of some stick. You have time to plan, consider yourself lucky, but realize what you are talking about doing comes across just as bad.

Serious question, if it is so bad, why take the risk of living there. We know why and that is ok, but you also can’t fault a landlord for wanting to improve their situation either.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

One should ask themselves if it is so bad, why only make a deal of it now or after you are out. Seems a bit hypocritical. So long as it has been good for you it’s ok, but now it is a safety issue?

I get it, you’re upset as you have to move, but you should also realize that as a renter you take that chance at any time.

Life isn’t fair. We have all got the short end of some stick. You have time to plan, consider yourself lucky, but realize what you are talking about doing comes across just as bad.

Serious question, if it is so bad, why take the risk of living there. We know why and that is ok, but you also can’t fault a landlord for wanting to improve their situation either.

Have to wonder if you've ever walked a mile in bersa's shoes?

Have to wonder if you've ever walked a mile in bersa's shoes?

I haven’t, and it isn’t meant to be personal, but it doesn’t change the facts.

Everyone is ok with things when it is good for them. When it is no longer beneficial, then it becomes an issue and worse it leads to ways to get payback.

None of us should accept that even though it makes us feel good. I have it good, I am not saying I don’t, but having it hard also doesn’t excuse what is being discussed IMO.

Well, lets get it all out on the table. The Landlord I had prior to this was told by me that he may want to take a look at the electrical issue before it became more than just an issue but a mess. He had someone come out and look at it. About a week later the place went back on the market and this guy that has it now bought it. Now do you honestly think the previous seller/Landlord told the buyer/this landlord about the issue. Of course he didn't because I'm sure this guy would not have purchased it. If I tell this guy all he is going to do is put it up for sale and pass it on to the next person until someone either fixes it or a fire fixes it. At least by telling codes and the fire inspectors it won't just get pushed off on someone else till it burns down.

In all honesty the last landlord seemed to be a pretty straight up dude and I thought he would fix the issues is the only reason I told him about them. I learned by that one that you can't trust anyone to do what is right. The way I figure it someone will either fix it or bull doze it and build a new house here but at least it will get fixed

Edited by bersaguy

Being in the alarm industry, I’ve seen crap that would turn your hair gray.

we just did a job, small alarm in a commercial building and when my son went into the attic there were no less than 15 junction boxes with wires hanging out. If I had know it I would have never sent my son up there. I have gotten into a hot wire in an attic that was not properly covered. 

Bersa,

you do whats right. I suspect if his contractor is any count he will catch this and tell the guy it has to be fixed. If he “remodels” the house and hides something that is a safety or fire hazard it can cost him his TENNESSEE contacting licensing so most of those guys won’t play around. 

And if if he’s not a licensed contractor and someone gets hurt or worse he can be charged criminally. 

I do do hope you get out of there before anything happens. 

Myself? I’d do an anonymous report to the authorities now and let the chips fall where they may. But I’d have my stuff packed just in case they  condemn the place.

and delete this thread. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, dralarms said:

Being in the alarm industry, I’ve seen crap that would turn your hair gray.

we just did a job, small alarm in a commercial building and when my son went into the attic there were no less than 15 junction boxes with wires hanging out. If I had know it I would have never sent my son up there. I have gotten into a hot wire in an attic that was not properly covered. 

Bersa,

you do whats right. I suspect if his contractor is any count he will catch this and tell the guy it has to be fixed. If he “remodels” the house and hides something that is a safety or fire hazard it can cost him his TENNESSEE contacting licensing so most of those guys won’t play around. 

And if if he’s not a licensed contractor and someone gets hurt or worse he can be charged criminally. 

I do do hope you get out of there before anything happens. 

Myself? I’d do an anonymous report to the authorities now and let the chips fall where they may. But I’d have my stuff packed just in case they  condemn the place.

and delete this thread. 

Well that is where it cannot be blamed on any contractor doing the work because he is doing it all himself and all he is doing is cosmetic stuff. Carpeting , new cupboards, sinks counter tops. toilets, new paint etc etc. Nothing electrical that would require a licensed contractor. My electrical contractor that went up to fix an imediate problem came back down and gave me a list of things that needed imediate attention and after making a few copies of it I passed one of them on to the last landlord before this one and he sold the place the following month. That told me all I needed to know after he had his contractor do an inspection. When I leave I will take this list up to the fire inspectors office and Codes. If they don't take care of it I have done my civil duty.