Barrel Length

Garufa

Why is it that the barrel length measurements of “pistols” of the semi-automatic kind include the chamber but those of revolvers (also pistols as far is I’m concerned, but I like saying clips too, lol) do not?

It has always kind of bothered me.  Is there a reasonable explanation other than one is a single unit and the other isn’t as in the case of a revolver?

8 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

Interesting -- never thought about that before. 

Way I see it --- as presently measured, the revolver projectile gets a longer travel in a barrel than it does in a pistol (for same specified length barrel). 

It also loses some pressure through the cylinder gap. 

20 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I believe it is because the semi auto barrel is a one piece unit while the revolver has separate chamber(s) and barrel.

I think you are correct and that is the reason however, when you think about it, that really doesn't make a lot of sense.  I say that because in the semi a live round is sitting in and (at least mostly) filling the length of the chamber so that the bullet isn't actually travelling the length of the chamber in a semi any more than it is in a revolver.  Truthfully, the length of barrel should probably be measured from where the front end of the average bullet sits when a round is chambered forward to the muzzle.

Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Garufa said:

Why is it that the barrel length measurements of “pistols” of the semi-automatic kind include the chamber but those of revolvers (also pistols as far is I’m concerned, but I like saying clips too, lol) do not?

It has always kind of bothered me.  Is there a reasonable explanation other than one is a single unit and the other isn’t as in the case of a revolver?

Done that way to make you think and forget about how bad a shot you are.

2 hours ago, JAB said:

I think you are correct and that is the reason however, when you think about it, that really doesn't make a lot of sense.  I say that because in the semi a live round is sitting in and (at least mostly) filling the length of the chamber so that the bullet isn't actually travelling the length of the chamber in a semi any more than it is in a revolver.  Truthfully, the length of barrel should probably be measured from where the front end of the average bullet sits when a round is chambered forward to the muzzle.

Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

I am of the opinion that the barrel starts were the chamber ends.  I know pistol, rifle and shogun barrels are not measured that way but revolvers are.  It is the easiest way to go about it but I still question if there is a reason other than convenience.

4 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I am of the opinion that the barrel starts were the chamber ends.  I know pistol, rifle and shogun barrels are not measured that way but revolvers are.  It is the easiest way to go about it but I still question if there is a reason other than convenience.

I don't know but suspect that convenience is a big part of the reason.  It is a lot easier to tell where the actual barrel on a revolver begins because of the cylinder gap,  With a semi - especially a fixed barrel - it might not be as visually obvious without getting into the internals of the pistol.  I guess there might be some argument that the lack of a cylinder gap makes it all one, continuous unit but then we have the Nagant revolver just to make things more complicated.  As the cylinder cams forward to seal the cylinder gap when firing does that mean the barrel length of a Nagant revolver should include the length of the cylinder?  Yeah, I know the Nagant is the only revolver - or maybe there is one other - which does that but sometimes minutia can be fun.