What model S&W is the Combat Masterpiece ?

bucnball

I believe "Combat Masterpiece" refers to items and features on the pistol, not a specific pistol in itself. Wide trigger and hammer are examples of the features.

I own a Combat Masterpiece K-frame 38Sp, and a Combat Masterpiece K-22, which is a K-frame in 22Mag.  

I think more knowledgeable people here will give better info on this.

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

The .38 Special K-frame Combat Masterpiece (K-38) became the Model 15 when model numbering began in the late 1950's.  The .22 version became the Model 18.

Those are the only S&W's referred to by that name.

Thanks Garufa, I was close, but not quite there on the explanation. I just know that these are 2 that will never leave me. Both came from my Father.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Garufa said:

The .38 Special K-frame Combat Masterpiece (K-38) became the Model 15 when model numbering began in the late 1950's.  The .22 version became the Model 18.

Those are the only S&W's referred to by that name.

Not quite. There was also one made in 32 Smith and Wesson Long. If you have one of these, you have a real prize indeed. I believe it was the model 15 once they began putting model numbers on their revolvers.

Edited by gregintenn
1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Here are some listed in the Standard Catalog.

Beyond Combat Masterpiece, there was just a Masterpiece and a Masterpiece Magnum from what I see.

12ZhdLg.jpg

iOeg048.jpg

Gjgytdx.jpg

pNn7WdF.jpg

What “Standard Catalog” is this from?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

What “Standard Catalog” is this from?  

2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms. I carry the pdf copy on my phone. Easier than packing the 2017 paper copy I have around.

Is there something better @Garufa?

B3WB7mM.jpg

Edited by Ronald_55

The distinguishing features of a Combat Masterpiece are a 4" barrel and adjustable sights.  Some 2" guns are also listed. Hammers, triggers and grips may vary but it will always have the 4" barrel and adjustable sights. The original Combat Masterpiece was in .38 Special and specifically designed for Police use. Thus the Name Combat as it intended to be a fighting handgun. The .22 and .32 were  also reffered to as Combat Masterpieces as  they had the same features.

The name Masterpiece began with the longer barreled revolvers intended for target shooting. While sometimes called Target Masterpiece models, they are commonly just called either K-22 Masterpiece, K-32 Masterpiece or K-38 Masterpiece. 

The .38 Special later became the Model 15, the .32 became the Model 16 and the .22 became the Model 18. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I talked to him on the phone a couple of years ago.  My one and only letter was wrong, but he was most helpful in getting it corrected and a new one sent out.

Is Roy still alive, I thought I read he past a while back?

I have thought about letters, but my shooter grade stuff is not gonna increase in value with a letter. 

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Is Roy still alive, I thought I read he past a while back?

I have thought about letters, but my shooter grade stuff is not gonna increase in value with a letter. 

Far as I know he's still kicking. I see him on some cable tv gun show from time to time. I guess they could be reruns?

21 hours ago, gregintenn said:

To further muddy the waters, the Distinguished Masterpiece is a model 586, and the Combat Magnum is the model 19.

Wasn't the Model 66 also a Combat Magnum?  First time I can remember this pistol was from the TV Show Vegas, starring Robert Urich as Private Detective Dan Tanna.  He carried a Model 66 Combat Magnum or it was a nickel Model 19.  Sexiest pistol on TV at the time, until Miami Vice came out and Sonny Crocket with his Bren 10/ S&W 645!

20 minutes ago, Moped said:

Wasn't the Model 66 also a Combat Magnum?  First time I can remember this pistol was from the TV Show Vegas, starring Robert Urich as Private Detective Dan Tanna.  He carried a Model 66 Combat Magnum or it was a nickel Model 19.  Sexiest pistol on TV at the time, until Miami Vice came out and Sonny Crocket with his Bren 10/ S&W 645!

The 66 was/is the stainless version of the 19.  Still Combat Magnum I reckon.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Yep. I remember when they came out.

I bought a brand new 6” one right out of high school and like a fool traded it a few years later.  Never did take a shine to it as even then I preferred blue but if I had only known what it would be worth 30 years later.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I bought a brand new 6” one right out of high school and like a fool traded it a few years later.  Never did take a shine to it as even then I preferred blue but if I had only known what it would be worth 30 years later.

The 66's were expensive at the time. I had a nickel model 19 around then. Bought it from a cop, maybe so he could upgrade to a 66. My memory is fuzzy. That was a LONG time ago.