AR pistol and SBR advice

Ahitchc4

If there is a thread similar to this please direct me. I looked for about 5 minutes.

I’m about to start a pistol build and I’m looking for some advice. What is the optimal barrel and rail length? I have a 14.5” rifle with a pinned flash hider to make it 16” now just to put that into perspective. 

Also I’m looking to make this with mid level components. What braces perform the best? Any recommendations on barrel besides Daniel Defense? I know they’re good to go. 

Last question. I know it costs around $200 for the stamp to SBR a rifle. That’s just for one single lower that you can put any length barrel upper on correct? Also how long does is usually take to get that stamp back in TN?

I went with a complete DD mk18 upper but outside of that I’d go with 11.5 BCM barrel for a dependable upper. If you didn’t want to use DD that is. Trusts times are dropping quickly 6-7 months and maybe even less for SBR. But also keep in mind with all the brace choices now, may want to do pistol for ease of travel out of state and of course no tax stamp. The new SB brace is sold out everywhere and many people are going with PDW setups as well. I am running a SBM4 on the mk18 and also have a BA 11.5 with a KAK blade. So many choices these days. 

• Like 1

I have an SB brace, and I am pretty fond of it. I too have a 14.5" pinned and welded. It is my go to rifle. I built a 7.5" pistol with a KAK can and the SB brace. It honestly isn't that much shorter, the LOP is much less. They handle similar. I would still take the 14.5" if I had to pick just one.

pistol.jpg

14ar.jpg

• Like 2

Optimal barrel length for what purpose?

Reliability? Longer is better.  Terminal performance?  Again, longer is better.  Concealment?  Shorter is better.  Making noise and muzzle blast?  Again shorter is better.

Remember, you are shooting a cartridge designed for a 20" barrel.  Every study done has shown that combat effectiveness of the 5.56mm drops sharply under 2400fps.  With a 16" barrel, that is the velocity at pretty close range.

Have you thought about 300 blackout? It performs very well with shorter barrels. I did mine with an 8 inch barrel and yes, once it's registered you can put any size barrel or caliber on it. You just have to be able to return it to it's registered configuration and crossing state lines isn't really that big of a deal as long as you plan ahead. You have to file a form 20 with the ATF notifying them of the temporary disposistion of the weapon.

sbr1.jpg

Edited by Photoguy67
add photo

I went with a Sig 5.56mm, gas piston AR Pistol with a 7.5 inch barrel, with a brace  While I like it and plan on keeping it, additional research afterwards leads me to believe I should have went with a .300 blackout and a 9 or 11 inch barrel.  Either way, though, I dont see the point of going the SBR route.  For close in home defense or for use  in a vehicle, the AR pistol seems perfect.

Yea after thinking about it I might try out an upper in 300 BLK. I got to shoot one supressed in an indoor range about a month ago and it sounded like a pellet gun. 

If I go with a pistol length I will most likely do 10.5 or 11.5 on the barrel. I’ve also considered another 14.5 with a pinned muzzle device because I could just throw it on one my rifle lowers. I currently do not own a pistol lower even though I see really good deals on them from PSA all the time. I really just want to start another project. 

I’m no longer considering an SBR at least for now. Thanks for the help!