The niche I wish manufacturers would find

tntnixon

Kahrs are great guns but their triggers are not for everyone.   The T series is just over your weight limit but I have always thought they were the best looking Kahrs.
Premium_series_gallery8.jpg

That is a very nice looking weapon, for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, to each his own. My only requirement of a gun is that it works when asked to. I couldn't care less if it's pretty, hand carved, cost $5k or $50.  Both of mine are Walthers & they serve the purpose quite well. PPQ & PPS.

3 hours ago, tntnixon said:

See, we want the same thing except I want it in metal that weighs the same as Tupperware . I’m the don quixote of shooters . Lmao

My problem is finding too many pistols that I like!

You speak of the niche I've been seeking.

My go to is my CZ, full size all steel pistol.

Getting ready to hit my 10 year anniversary with it 

Have looked for the replacement and still looking.

I tried both the PO1 and P10C; not that much smaller or concealable (for my off work attire) than the 75B and didn't shoot them any better.

Going smaller, I have a Glock 19 cut to a 26 grip height with bark stipling. Conceals really well due to the chopped grip, still shootable and mag compatible with Mrs. GtG's G17.

Has some panache and being a used Gen 2, the finish has this cool patina effect going on.

Not in my fav 5.

Smaller yet, is my Kahr MK9 and Kimber Micro .380. In both cases i got a good ones, these  are super little pistol. While I can only really carry the MK9 AIWB , they both disappear AIWB, pocket, ankle. Fun to shoot. I think they both look old school tacti-cool. The Kimber satisfies my current desire for a 9mm 1911 and is perfect for work carry.

Both are single stack and the Kahr had a long smooth trigger with longish reset.

Note: the height of the Glock vs. Kimber vs. Kahr is virtually identical.

I haven't shot the 9mm versions of the Micro, but previous posts give them a thumbs up.

Stuff I've googled, have touched, and googled some more.

Bersa Thunder .380; previously owned, 15 rounds, DA/SA, good shooter with concealment.  The Argentine James Bond on steroids gun.

Taurus G2 good ergos, double stack, used versions I've seen for CCW reveal worn finishes.

Walther PPS M2, love the ergos and trigger in dry fire; for me, the single stack is a con.

Walther PPQ SC; if ergos / trigger as good as, this one has my attention.  Height and weight look good for what I'm looking for and is a double stack. New to market so not enough info for me to drop the coin.

Sig P365, same as above though haven't handled.

9 hours ago, tntnixon said:

See, we want the same thing except I want it in metal that weighs the same as Tupperware . I’m the don quixote of shooters . Lmao

I want whiskey that won't give you a hangover and a whore that'll keep her mouth shut. Sometimes you just can't have it all.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, tntnixon said:

When I go to the range , I very rarely run fewer than 200 rounds through a pistol. Im dumb enough to expect zero failures. I’ve never had a 1911 that would pass this test. Trips back to the manufacturer , money spent at the smith for polishing and deburring , lots of money spent on new and improved mags, and even changed manufacturers (from colt to Springfield).

You never had/found a 1911 that could shoot 200+ rounds without a failure? How many did you try - only 1 Colt /1 springfield? Not calling BS, just find that pretty bad odds.

I just don't think it would be hard to find a good 1911 that would run reliably for hundreds, if not thousands of rounds.

Have you shot a P239? Dead nuts accurate, and so comfy IWB. Mine was purchased as a 40 and shot maybe 10 rounds until my 357 sig mags and barrel arrived. My favorite concealed gun in the best cartridge out there. :devil::devil:

If "near Nashville" means the south side please give me a shout if you would like to swing by and touch of a mag or 3

Mark

Edited by Mark A
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, miller_man said:

You never had/found a 1911 that could shoot 200+ rounds without a failure? How many did you try - only 1 Colt /1 springfield? Not calling BS, just find that pretty bad odds.

I just don't think it would be hard to find a good 1911 that would run reliably for hundreds, if not thousands of rounds.

While I have never blown 200+ rounds through a 1911 in one session I know the design is capable.  The proper maintenance is another matter.  With sufficient lubrication it should’t be a problem.  Hint:  grease the rails.

Edited by Garufa
9 hours ago, miller_man said:

Well , that’s not entirely true. I’ve never had an officer size that would run it. I did have two that would . They were both government size (an old DW before CZ bought them out and a RIA) but they both felt like an anvil pulling on the side of my pants. I carried that DW for a long time before I found pistols I liked better and were more comfortable. I traded it about 10 years ago for an arsenal AK and 3 cases of Ammo before the prices went out the roof. CZ bought them out and immediately every DW doubled in value. Much regret (not for trading it , but trading it so cheap).
As a side note , the DW is the only weapon I ever pulled in a defensive situation (August 8 2003 in Savannah , GA). Learned three things that day: 1) you can be walking in a good neighborhood in that town and suddenly find yourself in the ghetto 2) 1911’s make would be robbers run like their asses are on fire screaming “I told you that white boy prolly had a gun” 3) women look good in high heels until they end up bloody trying to walk on 200 year old cobblestones in them . 

Edited by tntnixon
10 hours ago, Mark A said:

Have you shot a P239? Dead nuts accurate, and so comfy IWB. Mine was purchased as a 40 and shot maybe 10 rounds until my 357 sig mags and barrel arrived. My favorite concealed gun in the best cartridge out there. :devil::devil:

If "near Nashville" means the south side please give me a shout if you would like to swing by and touch of a mag or 3

Mark

I’m on the north side (Goodlettsville) . I’m always ready to go shooting and show off how bad I am since I had to rock my progressive lenses. 

Look around for a Gen 3 smith and wesson. I had a 3913 slim single stack in 9mm sold it for peanuts years ago sorry I did. Nice EDC gun.

I have a DW guardian that is totally reliable, trust it to carry.

Funny you mention savannah stopped there with my wife on the way to pick our niece up in florida, and almost got jacked by two guys down by the river, they were following us and something made me turn around, started to pull my gun they took off fast. Nice town otherwise.

• Like 1

The Remington 51 is worth a look, though personally I feel it's fugly.  

Browning High Powers have some potential but they have downsides too, many of which are ergonomic for me.  A stock BHP will need a fair amount of work before I'd want to do much shooting. 

Hudson is going to introduce a lightweight version of their H9.  While the aesthetics of it are debatable, it should fit your criteria.   

5 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

Hudson is going to introduce a lightweight version of their H9.  While the aesthetics of it are debatable, it should fit your criteria.   

I’d never heard of the H9 before I just looked it up. That’s an interesting design , for sure. 34oz is a bit on the heavy side but I really like the thought processes in it . Hmmmmm???

8 hours ago, tntnixon said:

Well , that’s not entirely true. I’ve never had an officer size that would run it. I did have two that would . They were both government size (an old DW before CZ bought them out and a RIA) but they both felt like an anvil pulling on the side of my pants. I carried that DW for a long time before I found pistols I liked better and were more comfortable. I traded it about 10 years ago for an arsenal AK and 3 cases of Ammo before the prices went out the roof. CZ bought them out and immediately every DW doubled in value. Much regret (not for trading it , but trading it so cheap).
As a side note , the DW is the only weapon I ever pulled in a defensive situation (August 8 2003 in Savannah , GA). Learned three things that day: 1) you can be walking in a good neighborhood in that town and suddenly find yourself in the ghetto 2) 1911’s make would be robbers run like their asses are on fire screaming “I told you that white boy prolly had a gun” 3) women look good in high heels until they end up bloody trying to walk on 200 year old cobblestones in them . 

Oh, you started it, so now you got to tell it. All three parts please! :)

The Walther PPK and PPK/s were some of the most elegant pistols ever made, along with the old Colt Detective Special and the S&W Model 66 (pick a barrel length) and the old model Browning Hi-Powers.

Another beautiful pistol I saw, back in the late 1990's, on a Detective down in Panama City, was a S&W 686 with a 3" barrel and some of those high end rose wood grips with the finger groves.  That was a beautiful revolver!!!

Right now the only manufacturer that I think makes elegant looking pistols is SIG in some of their higher end smaller pistols like the  238 and 938.  The P210 is also a beautiful pistol, but it should be at their price point!

I've always heard good things about the Kahr, but never fired one.  Some of their finishes looks like something a Chicago pimp would carry back in the 1970's, though!  I don't really go into colors.  I like matte (FDE, green, grays or blacks), bluing, nickel or stainless.  Anything else just looks cheesy or cheap.  Grips are something I think can really take a pistol up a notch, aesthetically though! 

As for 1911 reliability, most manufacturers make their pistols too tight.  And that's fine when you are shooting targets and about 50 rounds between cleanings, but if you want a true combat pistol, where you might be shooting 200+ rounds between cleanings, then it needs to rattle a bit.

Just my two cents.  Won't buy you a damn thing, but you might like hearing it... or not. :)

53 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

The Remington 51 is worth a look, though personally I feel it's fugly.  

Browning High Powers have some potential but they have downsides too, many of which are ergonomic for me.  A stock BHP will need a fair amount of work before I'd want to do much shooting. 

I expect you are referring to the new Remington R51. The original model 51 is among the most beautiful pistols ever made in my opinion.

3 hours ago, ken_mays said:

Would you elaborate on this comment please? I have 3 BHPs of varying ages, and a couple of Argentine Hipowers, plus an FN Hipower BDA 9. 

I find them extremely shootable and have experienced no problems with any of them. 

All are factory stock pistols, with no "improvements."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hipower said:

Would you elaborate on this comment please? I have 3 BHPs of varying ages, and a couple of Argentine Hipowers, plus an FN Hipower BDA 9. 

I find them extremely shootable and have experienced no problems with any of them. 

All are factory stock pistols, with no "improvements."

While not built to original spec, the new Tisas Regent BR9 has my attention. I always liked the BHP, never was in a position to buy one. 

CDI Sales gas a few BHPs for auction on GunBroker

I’ve never actually own a BHP. Maybe one day I’ll buy weapons that are destined to become safe queens again but not right now. I do love the look and I’ve loved it when I have shot them in the past. It just wouldn’t be a weapon I would carry around for hours on end.

3 hours ago, tntnixon said:

I’ve never actually own a BHP. Maybe one day I’ll buy weapons that are destined to become safe queens again but not right now. I do love the look and I’ve loved it when I have shot them in the past. It just wouldn’t be a weapon I would carry around for hours on end.

Safe Queens? Not hardly. All mine get regular attention, though not as much lately due to health issues. Although I do prefer striker firing pistols for normal carry, I do take the MKIII out some. I actually find it easer to carry than some of my other pistols. They do go in the "house gun" rotation as well. It's surprising where you can conceal a pistol around here. lol

Safe Queens? Not hardly. All mine get regular attention, though not as much lately due to health issues. Although I do prefer striker firing pistols for normal carry, I do take the MKIII out some. I actually find it easer to carry than some of my other pistols. They do go in the "house gun" rotation as well. It's surprising where you can conceal a pistol around here. lol

My “house gun” is my 870 plus whatever I took off my belt. My car gun is an XDm 3.8 .45. That being said , I love BPH’s just not sure where they fit in the rotation.
As an aside, my CZ82 (did i mention i love this “fill in the blank with your preferred dirty word”ing pistol?) would likely find more time if I could find decent holsters . Basically I’m doomed to using my “not as cheap as it should have been” NRA reversible slide.

12 minutes ago, jgradyc said:
Have you considered the Sig P938? You can get walnut (cherry, maple, cocobolo, etc) grips for it on eBay for about $25. I have two sets for my P938.  It's 18 ounces. You can have it cerakoted in any finish you like. 

I have a p238. It’s a good little pistol. Actually been thinking of selling and reinvesting in a p938 or another shield for my wife . I’m still thunking on it.

I know the p238 is 1911-esque. That being said , I’ve had zero malfunctions out of that little pistol. I’m just not a huge fan of 7 rounds of .380. 

Edited by tntnixon