The niche I wish manufacturers would find

tntnixon

1 hour ago, tntnixon said:

My “house gun” is my 870 plus whatever I took off my belt. My car gun is an XDm 3.8 .45. That being said , I love BPH’s just not sure where they fit in the rotation.
As an aside, my CZ82 (did i mention i love this “fill in the blank with your preferred dirty word”ing pistol?) would likely find more time if I could find decent holsters . Basically I’m doomed to using my “not as cheap as it should have been” NRA reversible slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could call David at Cajun Gun Works to see what he can do to this nugget.

I sent my 75B Omega to him, internals only, very pleased.

A custom holster can be commissioned through TGO.

After powering down to .380, I did some research and Shootingthebull410 found Precision One a top performer.

If your 82 cycles modern JHP, this may be an option.

You could call David at Cajun Gun Works to see what he can do to this nugget.
I sent my 75B Omega to him, internals only, very pleased.
A custom holster can be commissioned through TGO.
After powering down to .380, I did some research and Shootingthebull410 found Precision One a top performer.
If your 82 cycles modern JHP, this may be an option.

I’ve inquired at Cajun gunworks. They won’t touch an 82/83. Angus hobdell will play with it at czcustom but no promises, he’s more of a 75 afficianado (he a super good dude . Met him at the nra convention.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Maybe these cats? I think I know some folks who are big fans of them. You might as well, especially if you are a fan of podcasts. 

https://www.squaredawaycustoms.com/categories

It’s not on their list :(. I think the problem is nobody makes a mold for it, so only holster makers who have the actual weapon can make a holster for it.

Edited by tntnixon
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, tntnixon said:

It’s not on their list :(. I think the problem is nobody makes a mold for it, so only holster makers who have the actual weapon can make a holster for it.

Since they have a spot for you to enter in a gun they may not have a mold of, it might be worth an email. 

• Like 1

I'll just mention that if you don't mind a holster in Kydex outside and leather on the body side, you can make your own holster and put any cant on the weapon or any belt clips you like. I like the Ulticlip, but I have some holsters with regular IWB clips. I've also made holsters with slots in the leather. I've used gun leather, but I don't like it.. too stiff and thick. I buy a bag of scraps at Hobby Lobby and use a thinner leather so it's more comfortable from day one. Kydex is easy to mold, especially if you start with the thin Kydex. As an added bonus, with thin leather and thin Kydex, the holster is a lot thinner than my commercial holsters. 

My DIY rigs aren't going to win any beauty contests, but after buying a drawer full of holsters, I prefer function and comfort over cosmetics. 

As an aside, I've never understood why someone who would carry concealed would care what their holster looked like. Once every few years, I might unholster my weapon to show it to a fellow HCPer, but in 18 years of EDC, I've never unholstered my holster to show it to anyone!

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1
On 4/22/2018 at 12:51 PM, hipower said:

Would you elaborate on this comment please? I have 3 BHPs of varying ages, and a couple of Argentine Hipowers, plus an FN Hipower BDA 9. 

I find them extremely shootable and have experienced no problems with any of them. 

All are factory stock pistols, with no "improvements."

Just my (generally unpopular) opinion, based on my hand size and shooting style, coming from years of muscle memory on 1911/2011 designs.  YMMV

1. The factory trigger on too many BHPs, especially the MKIII with the firing pin safeties, is much too heavy.  (My MKIII trigger was 9 pounds when I got it. ) The mag safety also tends to drag on the magazine and inhibit drop-free operation.  And with that heavy trigger weight, the curved trigger really digs into my finger, so I need a slightly flatter trigger like the one Jim Garthwaite sells.  

2. Hammer bite is assured on my hand with the rowel hammer, unless bobbed.  The spur hammers aren't bad.  

3. The pre-MKII low profile safety is utterly unusable.  The MKII ambi safety is better but still not ideal since it sits so close to the frame and grip that it can be difficult to get a thumb underneath it to activate.   I tend to replace all mine with the C&S extended safety, also because I am trained to shoot with the strong hand thumb atop the safety lever.

4.  The old-style grips (flat panel checkered) are quite uncomfortable to use.  The newer plastic grips and more contoured aftermarket grips like the Navidrex are far more comfortable.

5.  The frontstrap is too thin to checker at anything but about 40 or finer lines per inch, and the serial number is usually located smack in the middle of it, requiring you to checker or stipple around it.  (Chuck Warner addressed this on his EWA in-house frames, where the frontstrap is plenty thick enough for most any grip treatment.)

6. The sights are rudimentary on anything but the MKII / MKIII, which at least have dovetails to replace them with something more useful.  Personally I like to have Novaks installed.

7. There is no way to put much of a bevel on the magazine well, and the very squarish top of the magazine will slow down reloads.   I suppose you could weld or solder on some sort of custom made funnel.

8. The forged framed versions won't hold up to a whole lot of shooting.  Bruce Gray claims they tend to be cracked or worn out by 60,000 rounds.  This is one reason the BHP never gained much of a following in the action pistol circles.  Not a huge deal for most of us, but I hate to put all the custom work into something that has a fairly limited service life.  Fortunately, the later cast frame versions are reputed to be far more durable, as are the .40 versions of the gun. 

I've handled some beautiful examples of custom BHPs from Nighthawk and Heirloom Precision, among others, and while they are very nice, they still don't approach the shootability (for me) of a well-made 2011. 

Regardless of my opinions, the BHP is a classic and deserves a place in the collection of any serious handgun enthusiast.  I have 5 or 6 myself, currently, but I have to admit that they will never be my favorites.

5 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

Ron Padilla and GJohnsoniv come to mind.

I've thought about a diy kydex, with a heat gun, patience and YouTube, how hard can it be?

It's actually not hard.  My favorite and most-often used holsters are the ones I made myself.  Finding the right hardware (Chicago screws) and coming up with a workable design are the toughest parts of the process, especially if you don't want to go the easy route of screwing two clamshell halves together like 70% of the shops out there do.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:56 AM, tntnixon said:

It seems you have two choices in handguns  these days : “tacticool” weapons that are functional and practical for edc  or works of art that are generally destined to stay in the safe only to be brought out to show your buddies with white gloves on. In the modern world of alloys , I wish we could find something to bridge the gap. 

Being a smaller framed guy , I consider 20 oz-ish and about 1 inch width to be about perfect for carry . That leaves me with polymer pistols as my choice (don’t get me wrong , I love polymer for lots of reasons).  However , I’m one of those crazy guys that likes “pretty”. I like it in my house , my vehicles, my clothing , my women and yes, even my weapons. 

I like elegant firearms with elegant old world styling, beautiful high gloss metals and fine wooden grips . If I could find one that was reliable in a major defensive caliber, it would not be sitting in my safe but rather on my side or inside my waistband (in fine hand tooled leather , of course , rather than kydex ). 

I know this can be done (lots of manufacturers have used alloys to make very light metal firearms that are stronger and lighter than polymer ) but they won’t make anything that encompasses my wish list. I guess it’s likely financially without benefit. Maybe I’m just an odd shooter in my wants.

6 hours ago, ken_mays said:

Just my (generally unpopular) opinion, based on my hand size and shooting style, coming from years of muscle memory on 1911/2011 designs.  YMMV

1. The factory trigger on too many BHPs, especially the MKIII with the firing pin safeties, is much too heavy.  (My MKIII trigger was 9 pounds when I got it. ) The mag safety also tends to drag on the magazine and inhibit drop-free operation.  And with that heavy trigger weight, the curved trigger really digs into my finger, so I need a slightly flatter trigger like the one Jim Garthwaite sells.  

2. Hammer bite is assured on my hand with the rowel hammer, unless bobbed.  The spur hammers aren't bad.  

3. The pre-MKII low profile safety is utterly unusable.  The MKII ambi safety is better but still not ideal since it sits so close to the frame and grip that it can be difficult to get a thumb underneath it to activate.   I tend to replace all mine with the C&S extended safety, also because I am trained to shoot with the strong hand thumb atop the safety lever.

4.  The old-style grips (flat panel checkered) are quite uncomfortable to use.  The newer plastic grips and more contoured aftermarket grips like the Navidrex are far more comfortable.

5.  The frontstrap is too thin to checker at anything but about 40 or finer lines per inch, and the serial number is usually located smack in the middle of it, requiring you to checker or stipple around it.  (Chuck Warner addressed this on his EWA in-house frames, where the frontstrap is plenty thick enough for most any grip treatment.)

6. The sights are rudimentary on anything but the MKII / MKIII, which at least have dovetails to replace them with something more useful.  Personally I like to have Novaks installed.

7. There is no way to put much of a bevel on the magazine well, and the very squarish top of the magazine will slow down reloads.   I suppose you could weld or solder on some sort of custom made funnel.

8. The forged framed versions won't hold up to a whole lot of shooting.  Bruce Gray claims they tend to be cracked or worn out by 60,000 rounds.  This is one reason the BHP never gained much of a following in the action pistol circles.  Not a huge deal for most of us, but I hate to put all the custom work into something that has a fairly limited service life.  Fortunately, the later cast frame versions are reputed to be far more durable, as are the .40 versions of the gun. 

I've handled some beautiful examples of custom BHPs from Nighthawk and Heirloom Precision, among others, and while they are very nice, they still don't approach the shootability (for me) of a well-made 2011. 

Regardless of my opinions, the BHP is a classic and deserves a place in the collection of any serious handgun enthusiast.  I have 5 or 6 myself, currently, but I have to admit that they will never be my favorites.

Wow! You really have quite the list of dislikes for them. That's ok. Not all pistols are for every person.

Thanks for your reply and elaborating. 

10 hours ago, hipower said:

Wow! You really have quite the list of dislikes for them. That's ok. Not all pistols are for every person.

Here is a FEG that I made some changes to.  Hate to admit it, but it's my favorite HP after the changes.

bhp11.jpg

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hipower said:

Yet he owns a half dozen of them. My wife would call that hard headed.:D

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FrankD said:

Sounds like you need to get a rohrbaugh r9.

I’ve never handled one but the reviews I’ve read haven’t been great. I’d hate to spend that much on an unreliable weapon that I’ll get rid of at a loss .

20 minutes ago, tntnixon said:

I’ve never handled one but the reviews I’ve read haven’t been great. I’d hate to spend that much on an unreliable weapon that I’ll get rid of at a loss .

Get the Remington knock off. Much cheaper, same design.

14 hours ago, tntnixon said:

Agreed, that’s why you should buy it and prove to me that I don’t need to talk myself out of it a couple times a year.

• Like 1