Bath tub frag and bullet protection?

While watching Fear The Walking Dead recently a character jumps in a bath tub to escape the blast of a grenade. It got me thinking that I have seen this done a bunch in movies or tv shows to avoid a blast or bullets. Is there any "armor" value to this? I can see it being helpful back when porcelin covered cast iron was the norm, but I don't think today's fiberglass tubs provide much protection from shrapnel or bullets. You might be protected from the blast wave though. So thoughts? I know this was tv, but I have seen people refer to this in home invasion scenerios where they plan to put their family in the tub to avoid gunfire. 

28 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Maybe in older cast iron tubs.

Cast iron tubs are actually fairly brittle.  Plumbers commonly break them up with sledge hammers to remove them.   They will not stop a bullet, at least one from a rifle.

A fiberglass tub might provide some cover from a flash/bang grenade and a cast iron certainly would. The compression wave would serve to strengthen both and the curved surfaces would help deflect the blast. 

Fiberglass would offer minimal protection from shrapnel. Cast would be better, but it'll probably break and fall apart in the process.  

28 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

at 3:00 is what you seek

The bathtub protects from both grenades AND falling industrial light fixtures! Good to know.

In reality, even an iron one doesn't do much but if it can take some of the energy off the bullet/frag then maybe it might make a hit more survivable? I guess it depends on what the shooter is using. Like most cover I'd guess it might stop or slow a .22 enough, but not going to do a whole lot against a .50 BMG with everything else falling somewhere in between.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Against a frag, it would help some as the blast usually goes up and out, path of least resistance. But against bullets and direct shrapnel, nope not much help I would bet.  Maybe if it was full of water it would help stop the bullets a bit better, but I would think it would run out rather quickly so would not last long.

I think the Mythbusters did a segment on this and busted the Lethal Weapon 2 scene.

My thoughts are somewhat effective against indirdct fire, shapnel and flying objects.

If we're partying like it's 1899 with black powder, I'd be willing to risk Clint Eastwood iron armor ala Fist Full of Dollars.

25 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

If we're partying like it's 1899 with black powder, I'd be willing to risk Clint Eastwood iron armor ala Fist Full of Dollars.

Why not? It worked in Back to the Future pt. III . . .   :)

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
On 4/23/2018 at 1:07 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Hell, I say go for the fridge. It’ll withstand a nuclear explosion. 

On 4/23/2018 at 5:16 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

yes your correct, one hell of a ride

5 minutes ago, ArmyBrat61 said:

I always wondered how that fridge door stayed closed.....:dropjaw:

Shame on you all! I came here to post this very thing, but see I was bested. Touché.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I watched Punk Brewster as a kid where Punky's friend almost died hiding in an old fridge. I want to know how Indy got that door opened from the inside. 

:D

Well of course the nuclear blast broke the latch.

• Like 1
On 4/23/2018 at 7:04 AM, Garufa said:

Cast iron tubs are actually fairly brittle.  Plumbers commonly break them up with sledge hammers to remove them.   They will not stop a bullet, at least one from a rifle.

Much truth. I've done it several times. Only way to get one out and the pieces can be sharp as knives. I doubt they would stop a bullet.