How to get Banned from TGO: The Email Edition

• Administrator

One of the things a member has the choice of when they register for an account on TGO is whether they wish to receive any emails from the community.  This includes not only the emails that the software sends out but also the emails that we periodically send out to our members to alert them to various things.

For anything that we send as a "newsletter" there is always a link to use to unsubscribe.  It's quick and easy.  There's also a way to adjust the emails that you receive by changing your notification settings here on the forum.  The link to that is here.

However, using your email system to report the mailings as spam is absolutely the wrong way to unsubscribe.  It is also a quick way to get banned from TGO entirely. The forum software will ban you if you take that approach rather than unsubscribing properly.

Here's the deal, folks... if you don't want to receive email, that's fine.  I get a lot of email that I unsubscribe to also.  BUT... reporting our email as spam when you opted to receive it, causes problems for the other members.  One of the most common issues I have to spend time with is when someone says they aren't getting the emails we send that they want to receive.  Claiming our email is spam (when it isn't) just hurts everyone and complicates that situation even further.

Just something to keep in mind.  :)

• Like 7
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, tntnixon said:

I’m not sure if I’ve ever gotten a TGO email. If I put it to spam , it was years ago ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that the software bans people automatically, and you aren't banned... the math is kind of easy.  :)

• Like 2

Just as a technicality; how would the forum software know who reports the email to their provider?  Lets take gmail for instance, many messages automatically go to the spam folder because they tripped gmail's spam logarithm. In this instance it's automatic, but when you report it as spam, are you saying it (gmail) reports to the offending email to it's originating server?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Just as a technicality; how would the forum software know who reports the email to their provider?  Lets take gmail for instance, many messages automatically go to the spam folder because they tripped gmail's spam logarithm. In this instance it's automatic, but when you report it as spam, are you saying it (gmail) reports to the offending email to it's originating server?

Correct.

The way email works in 2018 with most providers, especially the big ones like GMail, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc. is that they send a spam report back to the sender's organization whenever a user flags email as spam.  This even works with email programs like Outlook, Postbox, Apple Mail, etc. because the software these days does the report-back automatically behind the scenes.

I can show you a list of 40 people that have been banned for this already.  All for the exact same reason.

Fortunately the VAST majority of them are folks with zero posts to their name, many of whom signed up during the boom after Sandy Hook and never contributed anything to TGO.

3 hours ago, TGO David said:

Correct.

The way email works in 2018 with most providers, especially the big ones like GMail, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc. is that they send a spam report back to the sender's organization whenever a user flags email as spam.  This even works with email programs like Outlook, Postbox, Apple Mail, etc. because the software these days does the report-back automatically behind the scenes.

I can show you a list of 40 people that have been banned for this already.  All for the exact same reason.

Fortunately the VAST majority of them are folks with zero posts to their name, many of whom signed up during the boom after Sandy Hook and never contributed anything to TGO.

Ah, good to know.  I'll have to report all those dang spam messages that get through.  I don't use the spam email's included "unsubscribe" link at the bottom unless it is a known company which I no longer want to receive emails from (technically not spam anyways).

Anything that is not directed email sent to me it is placed in a social section which is like facebook and such. The everything else not sent directly to me goe in the promotions section. If it is anything that has TGO connected to it I stick it in the TGO file I have after reading it. I never spam anything TGO period.

• Like 1

As an old man who knows nothing about computers or email, I have learned something new. I have never marked TGO mail as spam but I have other senders. Never realized that it negatively affected them. I always thought my email account put them in my spam file and that was the end of it. I'll be a bit more careful from now on about who's email I mark as spam.

• Like 1