Gunbroker?

What he said  ⬆️

When checking out the seller make sure to really go through his feedback.  That will tell you a lot about the person.  

I have bought and sold quite a few guns on GB and always had good luck.  

• Like 1

Same for me, although in my case it has always been buying rather than selling. You can message the sellers, often times even get a phone contact from them for additional info. I've bough several milusrps through GB, knock on wood never a problem thus far ...

I have a message in to the seller. As soon as I get a response (confirmation of item/shipping v. pickup) I will follow through with the purchase. It is NIB, but a picture is not included. It is the kind of item that you know what it is/what you are buying though. It is just half of the battle though. The work involved to get it to where I need it is the rest. It will be a good investment though.

Enough of the vagueness though. It is a Left Handed Savage MKII-FVT. It will be getting set and bedded in a Boyd's AT-ONE stock with a Lowey sled. The desire is to use it until the need of an Anschutz is required. The Savage MKII-GL is more readily available, and we have acquired one of those already, but that only fills the 'Sport Rifle' role. The MKII-FVT is the same action, but with a bull barrel and Williams Peep Sights. This fills the 'Target Rifle' role. I am determined this route to get out of paying college tuition shall be seen through to fruition. 

spencer_county_2017.jpg

• Like 5

I am just an average shooter. My Heathen on the other hand, with proper training and guidance, she has the desire and excitement to be much more. I can offer money, inspiration and guidance to help her achieve the best she can be. That picture was from the first meet of last year. She received several 1st Place trophies, but that picture was just the easiest available to express my intent.

• Like 3

Look at seller's feedback. Have a phone conversation with seller. Your gut instinct will guide you well after that. A seller with a long feedback history would protect it at all cost. A seller with little to no feedback has little to lose.

I have never used it because I figure getting dealers to send copies of license for a transfer could be a hassle. I buy new where I can use my dealers at check out and they don’t have to do anything other than the transfer, but I hate to ask them to start messing with sending copies of FFL’s.

I may have to do it though. They have some guns I can’t find locally, and the prices are reasonable.

The thing I like about GB is that you can search auctions that have ended and you can see what the gun you are looking for is actually selling for vs. what it is listed for in auctions.

47 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I have never used it because I figure getting dealers to send copies of license for a transfer could be a hassle. I buy new where I can use my dealers at check out and they don’t have to do anything other than the transfer, but I hate to ask them to start messing with sending copies of FFL’s.

I may have to do it though. They have some guns I can’t find locally, and the prices are reasonable.

The thing I like about GB is that you can search auctions that have ended and you can see what the gun you are looking for is actually selling for vs. what it is listed for in auctions.

Not much hassle. I keep a copy of my dealer's ffl. I'll either scan and email it or mail a copy with payment. He calls when it shows up and I go get it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Not much hassle. I keep a copy of my dealer's ffl. I'll either scan and email it or mail a copy with payment. He calls when it shows up and I go get it.

Good to know! I didn’t know they would give the buyer a copy. I’ll check with some local dealers.

Thanks

BTW: Not getting any love locally on that 39-2; plenty available on GB and AL out of state. ;)

1 minute ago, tntnixon said:

I’m a one hit wonder on GB :(

Now that's funny.

Assuming low round count, I'd call the seller to get a feel for the person.

If they are pretty up to speed and have a go to FFL on their end, you're probably dealing with a seller trying to do the right thing.

10 minutes ago, Frenchs24 said:

Always hesitated until I was in the same predicament so I gave up and gave it a try.... decided I don’t need anything that bad and I won’t go thru that headache ever again

And that’s why I’m a one hit wonder . It was more trouble than I enjoyed trying to ship a weapon to an FFL. I’d rather take a loss FTF than go through that again.

22 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Now that's funny.

Assuming low round count, I'd call the seller to get a feel for the person.

If they are pretty up to speed and have a go to FFL on their end, you're probably dealing with a seller trying to do the right thing.

That's probably a safe bet too. I've read about people sending money off for gunbroker purchases and then never receiving the gun. I suspect that risk is a lot lower if the seller has sold hundred of items on there before. 

30 minutes ago, Frenchs24 said:

Always hesitated until I was in the same predicament so I gave up and gave it a try.... decided I don’t need anything that bad and I won’t go thru that headache ever again

17 minutes ago, tntnixon said:

And that’s why I’m a one hit wonder . It was more trouble than I enjoyed trying to ship a weapon to an FFL. I’d rather take a loss FTF than go through that again.

What kind of problems did you have? Of course I’d like to buy FTF locally, but sometimes that’s not an option.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What kind of problems did you have? Of course I’d like to buy FTF locally, but sometimes that’s not an option.

I’ve never bought off GB, only sold . I just hate the whole process of shipping a firearm and the associated cost . 

I bought a few things off there. Stuff that never shows up locally, or at least not at the selling price. Always vetted the seller like I would on eBay. The worst I have had was some slow shipping. I keep a scan of the FFL license and just email it to the seller. I watch the tracking info and know my FFL has it before he can call. 

I am potentially buying from an FFL with all the accolades GB offers, A+, Top 100, Charter Gold, ~8000 reviews. He is semi-local to me. Right now I am waiting for him to respond to me to confirm that it is in fact a LEFT HANDED MKII-FVT. The ad has no pictures and only says LH. I am sure of what it means, but I want clarification before I buy. I have also inquired if he has a storefront, which would save me over $50 on shipping and transfer fees.

My LGS suggested buying on GB and just having it shipped to her, as she was unable to find it through her dealers. She ordered me the MKII-GL and I will be picking it up next Friday, then spending all day Saturday dialing it in with the Heathen for our first meet in a few weeks. I have also placed and order with Lowey's for the single shot sled adapters. But I have to wait on them to get shipped from Oz. We won't have a Target Rifle event for another month or so, giving me plenty of time to get the MKII-FVT in and tuned...

Edited by Murgatroy

I'm not familiar with this gun, but I put MARK II FVT into their search engine and found that KyGunCo has this gun on their website for $386. They are in Bardstown, KY. Rural King could probably order it for you as well, if you have a Rural King nearby. 

I've bought several times through GB, but I've only bought from dealers with a track record. 

Your heathen will thank you so much in the future. I wish we had shot more growing up. I think how good of a shot I might be if we had had time and money to shoot for fun. Dad shot his deer rifle once a year to check zero and any other shots put meat in the freezer. If I fired a 12ga shell it was expected to be at a squirrel or dove. I did talk him into firing his pistol once to practice, but only because he had a ton of surplus ammo in a box. 

2 hours ago, jgradyc said:

I'm not familiar with this gun, but I put MARK II FVT into their search engine and found that KyGunCo has this gun on their website for $386. They are in Bardstown, KY. Rural King could probably order it for you as well, if you have a Rural King nearby. 

I've bought several times through GB, but I've only bought from dealers with a track record. 

The Savage MKII-FVT is a standard staple at all club levels and commonly available. The LEFT HANDED MKII-FVT is as rare as Hen's Teeth.

Academy, RK and Cabelas all struck out.

Edited by Murgatroy