M&P M2.0 3.6" Compact

Garufa

Love my 9C version 1. Great match between a full-size and pocket carry (I can conceal it, but it handles like a full size for me). 

Primary reason I got the 9 was ammo capacity, 12 or 18 rds w/ extended mag. The .45 only carried 9 I think?

Got me to thinking, and I don't mean to start a debate, just showing my ignorance... if you were going to carry a .40-cal, why not a .45? I know it's a debated topic, but is there an inherent feature to the 40-cal cartridge that I'm missing? If I was interested in bigger-bang (aka 45 vs. 9), I'd be shopping for .45 or 10mm! I see a lot of police turn-ins in 40, so I always assumed there was a reason, just can't think of it?

1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

Love my 9C version 1. Great match between a full-size and pocket carry (I can conceal it, but it handles like a full size for me). 

Primary reason I got the 9 was ammo capacity, 12 or 18 rds w/ extended mag. The .45 only carried 9 I think?

Got me to thinking, and I don't mean to start a debate, just showing my ignorance... if you were going to carry a .40-cal, why not a .45? I know it's a debated topic, but is there an inherent feature to the 40-cal cartridge that I'm missing? If I was interested in bigger-bang (aka 45 vs. 9), I'd be shopping for .45 or 10mm! I see a lot of police turn-ins in 40, so I always assumed there was a reason, just can't think of it?

Capacity. My full size .40 has 15 rounds. I don’t need to carry an extra mag.

6 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I like all 3 cartridges. They  all function well and , with the proper Ammo choice , are great defensive weapons. 

I like the .40 caliber most of the 3 for several reasons: 1) capacity in the same sized weapon doesn’t drop off much from the 9mm but will dramatically transitioning to .45 2) anecdotally I find the recoil of the .40 to be nearly identical to 9mm but far less than .45 even though some disagree 3) generally speaking , there is more stopping power in a wide variety of .40 cal loads than 9mm and it’s nearly identical to the .45.

That being said , my current edc is a 9mm shield , but that has more to do with a great deal on the weapon than anything. I’ll still feel as safe with it as I have traditionally felt with my G27 but more comfortable, physically. 

On a side note , many reloaders hate this load because the brass gets “glocked” in the unsupported chamber of the factory barrel and is rendered unsafe to reload . This problem is easily solved with a fully supported aftermarket barrel which will also greatly increase accuracy and won’t sacrifice reliability (I’ve happily been using a storm lake barrel for years ).

Edited by tntnixon
39 minutes ago, tntnixon said:

...On a side note , many reloaders hate this load because the brass gets “glocked” in the unsupported chamber of the factory barrel and is rendered unsafe to reload . 

Picked up and loaded hundreds if not thousand of the brass out of glocks.  Never had an issue.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chances R said:

Picked up and loaded hundreds if not thousand of the brass out of glocks.  Never had an issue.

I know many who have . Just mentioning that’s one of the things people say negatively about the .40 round .

12 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I was a fairly early adopter of the 40 back in the day. it offered befter stopping performance in a 9mm size package back then. 9mm terminal performance was thought to be marginal. In the last 15 years or so bullet design has solved those issues and today I think the 40 offers little advantage over a 9mm. Most people shoot a 9mm better than a 40 or 45. 

For years I was a 45 guy, 40 offered more capacity with only a slight terminal performance loss. Today I use 9mm almost exclusively. 

If you can handle full house 10mm loads, it's top of the heap... Great muzzle flash at night! 45 ammo is cheaper...

• Like 1

The .40 gained a lot of popularity during the 1994-2004 Assault Weapons Ban.  The thought was, if I can only carry a gun with a 10 round mag, may as well carry the bigger rounds.   LEO agencies were also going to .40 in large numbers at the time.

Now the trend has swung the other way, with the development of more effective 9mm JHP ammo.   .40s are sitting on the shelves in droves.

I haven’t got a 2.0 Compact yet, but I will. For me, concealment is more dependent on width than length. Accuracy is absolutely dependent on length. There is only 1.3 Oz difference is the 3.6 and 4 inch models. I think I’ll probably go with the 4” since I see no advantage to the 3.6”. But I guess I’ll need to see them both.

• Like 1
On 5/16/2018 at 9:08 AM, ken_mays said:

Yeah it's hard to imagine what they were thinking. "We are getting a flood of complaints about the 4.0 version; everyone says they wish it were .4" shorter."

Who is that quote from?

On 5/16/2018 at 10:08 AM, ken_mays said:

Yeah it's hard to imagine what they were thinking. "We are getting a flood of complaints about the 4.0 version; everyone says they wish it were .4" shorter."

Releasing the 3.6 should drive down the price of the 4.0. Good.