Gun purchase monitoring through CC?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-30/credit-card-companies-explore-new-ways-monitor-gun-purchases

What part of "to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches" do these ijits NOT get? Bad enough they can submit SARs on any withdraw they don't happen to like.... ask me how I know....

Looking VERY hard at a Heritage revolver and a Anderson ar-22. Even harder am I looking at making such transaction in cash.

Or am I wrong?

Being in the IT world data is King. There is very little that is not collected when possible. Data can be moved for all kinds of statistics and trending studies. It is amazing what we can get from vehicles and almost any system used for transactional work can be a treasure trove of data for those that have access. 

• Like 1

And the poor schlubs unwittingly and uncompensatedly putting out these datum are in the lurch.

Does anyone know if there has been valid and recent court cases against companies that collect against their customers without notification or payment?

I'm no Luddite. I've been dealing with computers since high school, when we did programming in FORTRAN with Hollerith punch cards.

That said, I will at least speak up against being regarded as little more than a data resource, to be processed without consent, and used without just recompense.

SWC

• Admin Team
10 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

...companies that collect against their customers without notification or payment?

Dude, that's kind of what runs the internet right now.  All of it. Your data is being monetized and you are the product.

In the event of your credit card - if you read the terms and conditions - you'll note that you're more or less agreeing to let them do whatever they want with your data as a condition of using the card.  Or, to put it more bluntly, you're agreeing to let them use your data in return for them agreeing to continue to cash flow your consumption.

It was said many years ago about a different medium - but bears repetition. If you're not paying for it, you're the product - not the customer.

We've been too willing for too long to trade our privacy for convenience. Now, maybe we're beginning to learn that the price wasn't worth it.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Dude, that's kind of what runs the internet right now.  All of it. Your data is being monetized and you are the product.

In the event of your credit card - if you read the terms and conditions - you'll note that you're more or less agreeing to let them do whatever they want with your data as a condition of using the card.  Or, to put it more bluntly, you're agreeing to let them use your data in return for them agreeing to continue to cash flow your consumption.

It was said many years ago about a different medium - but bears repetition. If you're not paying for it, you're the product - not the customer.

We've been too willing for too long to trade our privacy for convenience. Now, maybe we're beginning to learn that the price wasn't worth it.

We live in cyberpunk times. 

• Like 2

I have zero concern about my credit card company or even the government knowing when I buy guns; ZERO.

It does piss me off though that financial companies can take action against gun companies. But I have to believe that there are pro-gun financial companies in our free enterprise system more than willing to make money off guns.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Best phrase I've heard in a long time!

I’m not being glib at all. I’m fully serious. You take out the lasers and dark skies and we are in the opening scenes of a Philip K. Dick novel. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m not being glib at all. I’m fully serious. You take out the lasers and dark skies and we are in the opening scenes of a Philip K. Dick novel. 

I took it as serious.  I agree. I'm blown away by companies making knee jerk reactions to a tweet or whatever the flavor of the day is. So much for anti bullying campaigns. Everybody is in everybody's face.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I have zero concern about my credit card company or even the government knowing when I buy guns; ZERO.

It does piss me off though that financial companies can take action against gun companies. But I have to believe that there are pro-gun financial companies in our free enterprise system more than willing to make money off guns.

It'ud be quite the thing if the major gun manufacturers got together and opened their own financial company... or better still, just said screw'em and went to cash only. Although, the latter is not all that likely, given the size.

Or is it?

SWC, pondering

Credit companies are a huge money maker. I've heard it said that Ford Motor Credit makes more money than Ford the car company. 

That said, I've been thinking the NRA should start a credit card company. Every gun shop in America would take it. NRA would have another revenue stream. We would have a way to make firearm purchases. And, we stick it to the existing credit card companies. 

• Admin Team
4 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

Credit companies are a huge money maker. I've heard it said that Ford Motor Credit makes more money than Ford the car company. 

That said, I've been thinking the NRA should start a credit card company. Every gun shop in America would take it. NRA would have another revenue stream. We would have a way to make firearm purchases. And, we stick it to the existing credit card companies. 

If you look at most modern big box stores quarterly earnings - Sears, JC Penney, etc. - they’re simply retail fronts for offering a credit card. They make (made) way more in finance charges and interest than they ever made in margin on goods sold.  

• Like 1

The amount of cash you need to have on hand to start a credit card company is staggering. Even if every manufacturer and the nra put all their cash together (which last time i heard is zero dollars because all of them are carrying debt including the nra) it would be nearly impossible plus it would create cash flow issues for all. It’s simply not feasible. 

• Like 1

Weirdly, I always pay cash for my guns.  Can't remember the last time I bought one with a card.  I say weirdly, because I pretty much pay for everything else with a bank debit card or a CC.  I have no idea why I do that, either.