What are chances of an Assault Weapon Ban In Tennessee? Fleeing From The Pacific Northwest

I've been interested in moving to Tennessee for a long time.   Even though I did like growing up in the Pacific Northwest and it has been my home for almost all of my life, I have to say that the political climate has become insane.  The governor, attorney general of both Washington and Oregon are now on a vendetta not only to push for an Assault Weapon Ban, but they are now advocating for a complete Gun Confiscation in both states.  Oregon currently has a ballot initiative that would make it illegal to possess any semi-auto firearm that can accept magazines over 10 rounds.  How the state of Oregon will actually succeed in disarming over one million gun owners in that state is questionable and I don't even want to think too deeply about it anymore.  I just want to get the hell out of this place.   Oregon and Washington are not the same places I grew up and all the ultra-liberal radicals from California, East Coast and wherever have gravitated to the NOrthwest and now are going to fix it and make it a hellhole like where they came from.   I'm pretty heartbroken, because I will miss the beauty of the mountains, forests and nature here.   However, I just cannot stick around.  It goes even beyond gun control legislation as the loonies in Olympia and Salem (our capitals) are trying to punish the evil capitalists, raise taxes beyond oblivion and give refuge to every illegal and homeless person, so they can live as they please.   There are other issues, as I never liked the weather in the Northwest which is cold and cloudy almost year round and smokey in the summer.  As well, the traffic and cost of living is out of control.

Anyway, I am describing in detail of my situation because I am looking to relocate somewhere in this country where I won't constantly have to worry about the Governor calling in the National Guard to bust my doors down and take my semi auto firearms away.   Could this happen?  I don't know, but we have a huge military infrastructure here and Oregon and Washington do have quite a sizable National Guard.  Will they refuse orders and defend their fellow Americans over obeying commanding officers and government officials?  That is not a question I wish to see the outcome..  I worry for some friends and family I have here, but there is not much I can do anymore.  THis is not how I want to live, worrying about becoming a criminal every day of my life.  Even if this bill or that ballot initiative fail, these deranged ultra left wing radical fascists will not stop and there will be many more too come and they do keep coming.  They go around screaming their brains out how guns are murdering children and that we need to kill gun owners who are responsible for all this mayhem.  In fact, it is these fascists who are causing all the mayhem and they are fighting tooth and nail to keep armed security guards out of our schools, as they think dialing 9-1-1 is the magical solution to all problems.  Yet, these morons then have protests condemning the police and hating law enforcement for trying to do their job.  The whole place is a mess!

I know Tennessee is a conservative state with two fairly liberal major city centers, Memphis and Nashville.    Sadly, I could say Oregon and Washington have similar demographics, conservative states with two liberal cities that call the shots.  Thankfully, Tennessee has a larger rural population and more smaller cities distributed, as well as more conservative suburbs of the city centers, which help keep the state from becoming dominated by the fiercely anti-gun Democrat party.   I've been told that the liberals in Tennessee are fighting for gun control, but I am wondering how much influence and power they have?    What are the realistic chances of Tennnesee going the way of Oregon and Washington?   WIth the way things are looking, even California will have less restrictive gun laws than Oregon and Washington in the next year or two.  There is no way people here will retain their gun rights with the insanity going on in these states.  It is one gun bill after another and if a gun bill fails, Bloomberg and Friends will finance ballot initiatives.  They are using illegal measures like using liberal anti-gun churches to force their members to vote the way the pastor says, such as with the Augustana Lutheran Church in Portland, Oregon whose pastor is demanding all gun owners turn in their firearms and is using church funds to pass anti-gun bills. 

I could go on and on, but I am exhausted.   I'm looking at relocating to the Nashville area, as I am into IT, single guy, 40 years old and no kids.  Figure I want to live in a city that is not completely overrun with liberal zealots like Seattle and Portland.   However, what is most important to me is the security of gun rights within the state.   So, I appreciate to hear an honest and sober view.  I was considering moving to Colorado, but their gun laws are becoming more and more restrictive.  The Colorado gun forums are utterly depressing and it seems like a majority of people there believe they will soon end up being the next California.  I'm praying that Tennessee is not also going to  go down that route.   I did hear Georgia tried passing an Assault Weapon Ban, but it failed very quickly.   I'm not sure what Georgia's future holds either, but that is not a place I am considering as of now.   Tennessee seems much more desirable to me overall.

Edited by 4Freedom

I think we are more likely to see an AWB pass at the federal level rather than the state level. I'd be cautious in saying that it's impossible here though. In the past few months we've watched as 2 Republican governors have signed new gun control measures into law. I don't trust anyone at this point. That being said, if you're looking to move to a place that is more gun friendly than your current situation then I would say TN could be an excellent choice. If I were you, TN would definitely be on my list of possibilities. I'd also consider WY, MT, ID, UT and AZ because they wouldn't involve a move to the other side of the country. South Carolina, specifically Greenville, would be towards the top of my list too. I don't know what your job situation is but that would probably be of bigger importance to me than gun laws. I will say that TN seems to be doing really well economically, certainly better than most of our neighboring states. 

The PacNW is a pretty amazing place despite all the B.S you're describing. It's really a shame to hear what you're up against. 

edit-just saw your comments about being in IT. That gives you a ton of options I would think. 

Edited by Erik88

That is good to hear Erik.. Thanks for responding.   Thing are insane here in the Pacific Northwest and it isn't just the desire of the government to pass our nation's first gun confiscation bills.  I just read in the news today that Amazon is considering leaving Seattle and has halted all its new building construction while the city votes on imposing a head tax that is suppose to be used for housing the homeless and redistributing the wealth to the poor. 

http://mynorthwest.com/974598/amazon-seattle-head-tax-headquarters/

Despite the city spending more and more on housing ,feeding, giving drug shoot up sites for the homeless, the homeless problem is just increasing and increasing.  THey claim it is because the city is getting more expensive and has nothing to do with the fact they offer free lodging, food, drugs, etc to all the freeloaders around the country.  And, lo and behold, they are coming in droves and giving the politicians votes.    In the meantime, all the sane people, those who work for a living are fleeing.  They want to take away our guns and our hard earned money.  It already costs a fortune to live here.

Anyway, I have lived in Idaho and really did not enjoy living there .  Idaho is a great retirement destination, but with all the Californians moving there and retiring there, the cost of living is becoming even higher than Oregon and many parts of Washington.  As well, Idaho has very high taxes and the taxes there would kill me.  Idaho was great back when it was  cheap place to live.  As far as gun laws, Idaho probably cannot be beat and now has constitutional carry.  I actually have an Idaho CHL which allows me to carry in over 30 states with reciprocity.

I know there are many other locations in the country that have sound gun laws, but I actually am intrigued by Nashville and the state of Tennessee.  Maybe, it is my love of folk and old-school country music, Southern culture, the weather , scenery , etc.   Maybe, Tennessee has some type of enchanting feeling to me, like it is the last part of America's heartland and still has some of its own unique culture.  

As far as me trusting Republican dominated governments, I actually don't and I know that there is no where that is guaranteed to be safe from unconstitutional decrees.  Of course, there is no significantly Democrat dominated state where people have any gun rights, that I am aware.   I'm actually a Libertarian (fairly right-leaning, former Republican), myself, and I heard Nashville is more Libertarian friendly.  Although, I hear it does have a large Democrat presence.  I just hope it is not overwhelming like in Seattle and Portland.  Ironically, the Portland I grew up in the 90s was quite Libertarian compared to today.   Even most of the hippies I knew growing up had huge gun collections and hunted.    Today, we have so many liberal California/East Coast transplants and they brought a completely new mentality to the region.   Back in the 90s, Washington and Oregon had even less restrictive gun laws than Texas, which didn't even allow conceal carry at one point.

Edited by 4Freedom

We like to think "not bloody likely" but it would seem anything is possible. We live in a world where the squeaky wheel gets the grease no matter how stupid, pointless, or just plain wrong it is. 

I'd also say assault weapons are already functionally banned, and have been since 1934. The few that do exist in civilian hands are fairly strictly controlled. 

Hey peej, i know that Americans are not allowed to purchase post-ban fully auto rifles or machine guns.  This is what liberals originally referred to as "Assault Weapons".   Of course, today, any semi auto firearm (including pistols) that can accept greater than 10rd magazines are now referred as "Assault Weapons". In the 1700s, muskets were what many consider an "Assault Weapon".  In fact, id go as far to say the rental truck used in the assault in Toronto killing 10 people could be classified, using liberal terminology as an "Assault Weapon".

I hate using this term and i know ot is not accurate, but that is the term the liberal fascists use on their gun ban bills.  I should have been more specific and said what are the chances of Tennessee passing a bill that would ban or confiscate semi auto firearms from law abiding citizens like is being proposed in Oregon and Washington.

Edited by 4Freedom

I don’t think arguing about what they are called will have any impact. The term assault rifle has been used in legislation and cases at the highest level.

I also doubt they will be banned in Tennessee; but you never know. I don’t believe the SCOTUS will allow the Feds to ban them. But they would have to rule if it is “reasonable restrictions” to allow the states to do it. They recently refused to hear an appeal on the Maryland case which allowed a state ban to stand.

I will say that Nashville and Memphis are liberal bastions in the State. The new Mayor of Nashville is calling for more gun control. Fortunately, conservative East Tennessee and Rural Middle and West parts of the State offset their power.  But I could see that there will be a time when the politics of Nashville will dominate this state.  Nashville is one the fastest growing cities in the country, and could very well end up being another Chicago, Denver or New York.

There are IT job openings in the Knoxville and Chattanooga area, that you might want to consider.  The cost of living in both those cities is much lower than Nashville, where the cost of housing continues to go up at a much faster pace.  Urban sprawl is a serious problem there, as well.  Lots and lots of growth going on and they are having a hard time keeping up.  

Knoxville and Chattanooga are also much closer to the mountains.  

Chattanooga's Mayor is as liberal as they get.   He is trying his best to turn us into San Fransisco East.   He seems to care more about taking just about every major road and cutting down the number of lanes for cars to add unused bike lanes and making downtown more artsy fartsy.   Strangely he doesn't seem to care much about guns which is odd for a liberal.     

• Authorized Vendor

If you stay out of the cities proper chances are you won't have to listen to that drivel. I suppose it's like that most everywhere except Nashville and Memphis don't drive the states thinking like the do in Kali....

1 hour ago, Moped said:

There are IT job openings in the Knoxville and Chattanooga area, that you might want to consider.  The cost of living in both those cities is much lower than Nashville, where the cost of housing continues to go up at a much faster pace.  Urban sprawl is a serious problem there, as well.  Lots and lots of growth going on and they are having a hard time keeping up.  

Knoxville and Chattanooga are also much closer to the mountains.  

I'm obviously biased but I would much rather live in Knoxville or Chattanooga. I went to Nashville in 2015 for a job interview and was absolutely blown away by how bad traffic is now. I thought I'd somehow teleported to Atlanta. 

Knoxville is small enough to avoid some of the headaches found in bigger cities but still big enough to never be bored. Downtown continues to get nicer as well. Plus I can drive in just about any direction and find a place to go hiking. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, 4Freedom said:

Hey peej, i know that Americans are not allowed to purchase pre-ban fully auto rifles or machine guns.  This is what liberals originally referred to as "Assault Weapons".   Of course, today, any semi auto firearm (including pistols) that can accept greater than 10rd magazines are now referred as "Assault Weapons". In the 1700s, muskets were what many consider an "Assault Weapon".  In fact, id go as far to say the rental truck used in the assault in Toronto killing 10 people could be classified, using liberal terminology as an "Assault Weapon".

I hate using this term and i know ot is not accurate, but that is the term the liberal fascists use on their gun ban bills.  I should have been more specific and said what are the chances of Tennessee passing a bill that would ban or confiscate semi auto firearms from law abiding citizens like is being proposed in Oregon and Washington.

That's not accurate. You can buy pre 86 machine guns, you just can't buy post.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm obviously biased but I would much rather live in Knoxville or Chattanooga. I went to Nashville in 2015 for a job interview and was absolutely blown away by how bad traffic is now. I thought I'd somehow teleported to Atlanta. 

Knoxville is small enough to avoid some of the headaches found in bigger cities but still big enough to never be bored. Downtown continues to get nicer as well. Plus I can drive in just about any direction and find a place to go hiking. 

Another vote for Knoxville. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, macville said:

That's not accurate. You can buy pre 86 machine guns, you just can't buy post.

Thanks for pointing that out.  What i wrote was a typo and fixed it.  Yep, obviously you can buy pre-ban, but not post-ban machine guns or full autos.  

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t think arguing about what they are called will have any impact. The term assault rifle has been used in legislation and cases at the highest level.

I also doubt they will be banned in Tennessee; but you never know. I don’t believe the SCOTUS will allow the Feds to ban them. But they would have to rule if it is “reasonable restrictions” to allow the states to do it. They recently refused to hear an appeal on the Maryland case which allowed a state ban to stand.

Don't give in. Incorrect terminology is still wrong, even if it's "generally accepted", and that's not a good place to be. 

I appreciate everyone's responses here and their suggestions of what area I should move if I relocate to Tennessee.  Well, I figured being a single 40 year old guy and a software developer, that Nashville would be the best place for me.   As far as scenery and outdoors are concern, I think Knoxville would have been my ideal place.  Also, I think the politics in Knoxville would be more agreeable with me, being a fairly conservative Libertarian.  However, I have talked to some people from Knoxville and they told me if you are not married, don't go to church and a newcomer to the area that it is kind of hard place to break into and establish yourself.   I will be working from home for the next couple years, although there is never a guarantee.  If I ended up needing work, I think Nashville would be the best option for me. 

Also, being single guy, I have had a miserable time where I live meeting people.  I live in a fairly conservative military community in the South Puget Sound and most people are married with kids and it is pretty hard to have much of a social life or meet people here.  Then again, the culture here in the Northwest is pretty reserved and introverted.   That is actually one of our weaknesses, as most conservatives don't know one another, whereas the liberals are always holding rallies, events and way more pro-active.  Most conservatives here don't even vote in elections.  I remember after they passed I-594 in Washington, many gun owners I talked to, didn't even know what I-594 was and that they just lost some of their gun rights.   There is a unique culture in the Northwest of people who just like being left alone in the woods.  I actually lived alone in the forest for 5 years, myself, on the Oregon Coast, and was somewhat a hermit for years.  But, after living so many years in remote mountain areas, I kind of want some type of urban atmosphere.   I'd like to live in a place that has some nice live music venues, bars and entertainment, etc.   Even though I do love country life, I guess I kind of also would like some urban life, but not be overwhelmed by liberal zealots who hate my guts, like in Seattle.  If Nashville is as liberal as Seattle, I guess I probably wouldn't be able to live there.  I'm hoping there is some element of conservatism in the area.

As far as traffic and crowds in Nashville, I hardly think it will phase me.   If it is even half as bad as Seattle area then I would be shocked.  I am use to sitting all day on freeways and taking 2 hours to drive from one side of a city to the other.    If I lived in Nashville area, I'd consider moving to the outskirts to places like Hendersonville or even maybe Murfreesboro.   I was pretty shocked at how cheap everything is in the suburbs of Nashville.  In the Puget Sound, even the crappiest, crime infested, run-down suburbs still cost an arm and a leg.

I"m also shocked to see how Tennessee seems to start having the same type of problems with liberal infestation of its urban cores as we are having here in the Northwest.  I really pray that Tennessee does't end up like Oregon and Washington, but I guess that is how the tides are turning.   If the Democrats take over in 2020, then living in the Northwest will be outright dangerous if you are a gun owner, especially with the nutjobs like Jay Inslee and Kate Brown who are all too eager to confiscate every firearm they can.   Also, it's shocking to hear places like Chattanooga are very liberal.  I was under the impression Chattanooga was a conservative mountain type of community.   It is shocking to hear it is Tennessee own little version of Asheville, NC.   Speaking of Asheville, it's terrifying to hear what that sheriff candidate, R Daryl Fisher was saying about murdering gun owners and joking about prying their guns from their cold, dead hands.  Wow, I hope Tennessee doesn't elect any sheriffs like this. 

Anyway, I am glad to hear that it sounds like Tennessee's gun rights should be secure for a while ,at least.  I'm predicting in the next couple years, that Oregon and Washington will become full on police state and they will pass a ban on Semi Automatic Firearms.   I don't know how they will achieve the gun confiscation they keep championing, but I don't want to find out either, which is another reason I am leaving.     For anyone who isn't aware of Ballot Initiative , it may be a good idea to read about it, as if it can happen in our backyard, it may happen in yours one day too.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180322/confiscation-oregon-initiative-seeks-to-ban-semiautomatic-rifles-mandate-current-owners-to-turn-them-over

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/03/22/confiscation-oregon-initiative-bans-so-called-assault-weapons-mandates-current-n2463470

Edited by 4Freedom

I don't see a AWB happening on a state level anytime soon. Sure, we have a RINO governor, but the legislature is still solid conservative and not likely to change anytime soon.

I know people are fleeing liberal states and moving to more free states, but excluding the OP, I'm hesitant to roll out the welcome wagon here in TN. A lot of these people are still deep down liberal, and are like a parasite. They destroy their current state until they can't take it anymore, they then move to a more conservative state, before long they start trying to change their new state to mirror where they came from, turning our good state into the crap hole they came from.    

• Like 1
3 hours ago, m16ty said:

I don't see a AWB happening on a state level anytime soon. Sure, we have a RINO governor, but the legislature is still solid conservative and not likely to change anytime soon.

I know people are fleeing liberal states and moving to more free states, but excluding the OP, I'm hesitant to roll out the welcome wagon here in TN. A lot of these people are still deep down liberal, and are like a parasite. They destroy their current state until they can't take it anymore, they then move to a more conservative state, before long they start trying to change their new state to mirror where they came from, turning our good state into the crap hole they came from.    

Strangely enough, we get liberals moving here from all over, even Tennessee, who vote away my rights.  This is what has led this freedom loving conservative to flee the place he grew up and doesnt even know anymore.

3 hours ago, 4Freedom said:

Strangely enough, we get liberals moving here from all over, even Tennessee, who vote away my rights.  This is what has led this freedom loving conservative to flee the place he grew up and doesnt even know anymore.

I can see that trending all over the country.  Could eventually lead to a split up of the country.  I sure don't think anyone in the other 49 states that gives a rat patooty if California were to secede from the Union.  Matter of fact, I wish they'd take most of the Northeast, Washington DC and the City of Chicago with them.

Nashville is growing faster than most other cities, so it has a more diverse culture. People here go to church, but they're not Bible Thumpers, like in SC where I grew up. There is a huge amount of nightlife, professional sports teams (football, hockey, minor league baseball and now soccer). Traffic is bad, but a lot depends on your daily commute route. I don't see any major gun control measures being passed by Tennessee. Nashville might do something, but the liberals just got smacked big time by the 65/35 vote against the bloated mass transit measure. I just don't see Nashville becoming Chicago or Tennessee becoming Illinois.

3 hours ago, jgradyc said:

... I don't see any major gun control measures being passed by Tennessee. Nashville might do something, ...

Cities/counties can enact no gun legislation in this state except actual discharge of firearms, location of firing ranges, and carry by employees/contractors.

- OS

• Like 2

On 5/2/2018 at 4:40 PM, 4Freedom said:

love of... old-school country music...

My wife does as well.  Better bring your CDs.

If you ever plan, or think there is even the slightest possibility of needing to commute to Nashville, don’t move anywhere off I24 south east of Nashville.

Im off I40 30 miles east from the center of Nashville, where I work, and my commute is 50-60mins.  People who commute on I24 laugh at me like I’m a child when I complain about my commute.

• Like 1