AK-47 Front Sight Adjustment

I have a Romanian "Romy G" AK-47 that I'm trying to lower the front post sight down. Problem is, after it's screwed down some... not enough... it gets real hard and impossible to screw down any more. We've checked the threads and there's plenty of room for it to be lowered below. There's still a lot of threads above the sight block it screws down into. The lower part of the post is split (in the threaded area) presumably, so the sight can be adjusted with a hot barrel. It feels like it is bottoming out on a cold barrel and cold front sight post. It's obvious it should go down much lower. The gun is shooting low...on the lowest setting of the rear sight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If you can maybe post a photo of the front sight so we can see how far it's sticking out? I think the threaded portion of the front is split (& usually bent out slightly) to provide resistance against it moving after is has been adjusted.

I might not have a clear understanding of what's going on; but if it's shooting low with the front & rear sights adjusted down and far as it will go, can't you just raise the rear sight?

If you've tried a variety of ammo and it all shoots low with the rear sight on whatever yardage (meter-age?) you're shooting at with the front sight adjusted as far down as it will go, maybe consider carefully filing down the front sight.

1 hour ago, mike_f said:

If you can maybe post a photo of the front sight so we can see how far it's sticking out? I think the threaded portion of the front is split (& usually bent out slightly) to provide resistance against it moving after is has been adjusted.

I might not have a clear understanding of what's going on; but if it's shooting low with the front & rear sights adjusted down and far as it will go, can't you just raise the rear sight?

If you've tried a variety of ammo and it all shoots low with the rear sight on whatever yardage (meter-age?) you're shooting at with the front sight adjusted as far down as it will go, maybe consider carefully filing down the front sight.

Thanks for your reply, Mike. Actually, I was shooting only one kind of ammo. The front sight would only screw down so far, before extreme binding. There's an open hole below it, so I don't understand why it can't be screwed down lower. I had actually thought about filing some off of the top, but did not want to modify the front sight post. I just thought that maybe others had had the same problem.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Thanks for your reply, Mike. Actually, I was shooting only one kind of ammo. The front sight would only screw down so far, before extreme binding. There's an open hole below it, so I don't understand why it can't be screwed down lower. I had actually thought about filing some off of the top, but did not want to modify the front sight post. I just thought that maybe others had had the same problem.

You're welcome.

My son and I both have AK's made from Romy G kits and I looked at their front sights to see how far down they were in the front sight base.

Here are some phone pics:

41019027005_9acbe58346_o.jpg

41918501031_49ba063944_o.jpg

Is your front sight higher than this?

Edited by mike_f
16 hours ago, mike_f said:

You're welcome.

My son and I both have AK's made from Romy G kits and I looked at their front sights to see how far down they were in the front sight base.

Thanks for the information and the pics. I believe my front sight post is higher than that.

21 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/savannaharsenal.com/2016/04/23/how-to-zero-the-kalashnikov-ak-47-ak-74/amp/

This is the first thing I found online, might give it a try and see what it does for you. Outside of that you might want to take a small brass brush to remove any junk in the threads. 

Thanks, I'll check it out. I was having trouble with my "old" eyes... therefore, I'm considering replacing the front sight post with different colored ones in both of my AKs. I think they are a tough plastic. Have you had an opportunity to use any of them? I use "Hi-Vis" sights on my shotguns, and they are great.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:59 PM, gjohnsoniv said:

No, can't say I have. I just paint the front with a paint pen.

George, did you get your rivet pins yet? They were supposed to have gotten there yesterday. please let me know. Thanks.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, gjohnsoniv said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/savannaharsenal.com/2016/04/23/how-to-zero-the-kalashnikov-ak-47-ak-74/amp/

This is the first thing I found online, might give it a try and see what it does for you. Outside of that you might want to take a small brass brush to remove any junk in the threads. 

Thanks, I have a front sight tool ordered and will give this more attention when I get it.

5 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Oh, yeah, they came in Saturday. 

Glad they got to you fairly quick. Thanks again for your help. Took it to the range and was very happy with the functioning. I need to fine tune the zeroing. My next step after that will probably be re-finishing the hand guards and buttstock. I'm very happy with this AK. I like it better than my other underfolder AK.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:46 PM, mike_f said:

You're welcome.

Mike, I have a front sight tool ordered and will experiment more when it comes in. Do you and your son's AKs still have the original furniture? I'm thinking about re-finishing mine as soon as I get it zeroed in. Would love to see pics of your guns. Message me and I'll send you a pic of mine.

4 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Mike, I have a front sight tool ordered and will experiment more when it comes in. Do you and your son's AKs still have the original furniture? I'm thinking about re-finishing mine as soon as I get it zeroed in. Would love to see pics of your guns. Message me and I'll send you a pic of mine.

Ours don't still have the original furniture.  They are modernized with Ultimaks, polymer handguard & pistol grips, and Bulgarian folding triangle stocks.

41266308024_47a244d317_o.jpg

The original furniture is probably around here somewhere. Still have one unbuilt Romy G kit w/ matching serial Nodak receiver.

That's a nice Romy "G". I'll attach a couple of pics, one with the Donkey Dong and one with a plain hand guard. Well...I thought I was, but was told I'm only allowed to upload 430.8 kb. How did you get yours to upload?

8 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

That's a nice Romy "G". I'll attach a couple of pics, one with the Donkey Dong and one with a plain hand guard. Well...I thought I was, but was told I'm only allowed to upload 430.8 kb. How did you get yours to upload?

Thanks.

I don't upload photos to TGO.  I put mine up on a free Flickr ( https://www.flickr.com/ ) account and then link to it.