Savage 1907 Disassembly

I picked up a Savage 1907 that somebody sanded the finish off of. I'm looking to rust blue it but need to completely disassemble it to get an even finish. Does anybody know how to disassemble the breech plug and remove the safety lever so that I can get the best finish?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/exploded.html

Are you talking about (look at the pic) #6 and related parts? If so just look close and do what is needed. I know I make it sound easy, I have not taken your pistol apart, I am not a gun smith. I can see that there is a firing pin Retainer. Also a Cocking Lever Hinge Pin that will have to come out as well. Work inside a clear plastic bag so thing do not go far when things let go.

I own a couple of Savage pistols. I've never done more than field strip them. However, in my research, I've seen it said many times DO NOT disassemble the breach plug. Its full of tiny little parts and its a real booger to get back together properly. :censored:

Not a gunsmith and never owned Savage 1907 but I never took something apart I could not put back together. Appears to me that when pin 13 is removed part 7, the cocking lever should come out.  Maybe a little caution here as the firing pin or part 14 may have some tension and may or may not fly out.  Part 8 looks like the tricky one as I can not tell from the diagram if it comes out before or after the firing pin assembly.  Good thing is the firing pin spring appears to be captured on the firing pin so parts 14, 15 and 16 will come out as 1 unit.   Parts 9 and 10, the extractor and extractor spring look fairly common to most extractor assembles and is just held in with spring tension.  The same appears to true for parts parts 11 and 12, sear and sear spring being held in place with spring tension.  All this sounds simple and probably is but may be a test of your nerves when it comes time to look for the small parts that fly out from spring tension and align everything back up to reassemble.  Good Luck!

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Justin_E said:

Ok, I'm going to give it a shot. Wish I could get the safety removed. Looks to be held in place by the spring but can't get it to come out. 

The stock spring is very beefy and you need a very thin hardened blade like tool to force the spring back to let the safety go. When I take these out, I all ways grind a small pathway for the spring to slip off the safety when you have the safety half way threw its cycle. The bolt heads are not that bad. The only real issue is forcing the FP spring back far enough to get the little horse shoe shaped spring retainer in. Not a big deal really.