What's a dad to do

My 22 year old daughter is wanting to move to Chicago.  As a child she enjoyed shooting but now she does not want anything to do with guns (just graduated from college).  I would like her to take a hand gun to keep in her apartment.  I would get her a pistol safe that could be secured in a closet or somewhere.

I have looked at the area she is hoping to move to and it is a good area, as far as Chicago goes.

She will have a roommate, another 22 year old girl.  The other girl lived in Chicago last summer during an internship. 

Any suggestions or gotcha's that i should be concerned about?  I know she will have to apply for a foid.

• Moderators

Well, it's a tough situation I think. If she truly "does not want anything to do with guns", then you may be inviting more issues than you are solving. Pistol safe that could be secured? That means either bio-metric, combination, or key. With the last two of those options, you possibly have the issues of either forgetting the combination or location of the key, or the inverse problem where the key is stored in the lock or the combination entered already. Both of those options introduce the possibility of her roommate or other guest gaining access to the firearm at a party, etc.

I won't even pretend to know what the laws are in Chicago for such a thing. Legal or illegal? I don't know.

I'm just saying, if she truly does not want it at all, I personally don't know if "forcing" the issue is the correct answer. At least not without some proper conversation and planning behind the issue. If you go for it, sit her down and explain why you are doing so (to help you, Dad, sleep better at night) just in case she needs it. Explain to her safety issues, and that likely her best bet is to not disclose the location of the firearm to people coming over.

1 hour ago, cajunpredfan said:

My 22 year old daughter is wanting to move to Chicago.  As a child she enjoyed shooting but now she does not want anything to do with guns (just graduated from college).  I would like her to take a hand gun to keep in her apartment.  I would get her a pistol safe that could be secured in a closet or somewhere.

I have looked at the area she is hoping to move to and it is a good area, as far as Chicago goes.

She will have a roommate, another 22 year old girl.  The other girl lived in Chicago last summer during an internship. 

Any suggestions or gotcha's that i should be concerned about?  I know she will have to apply for a foid.

Steal her car keys!

• Like 3

FOID is really the only relevant gun law in this case, for both guns and ammo.   Chicago's registration scheme  was blown up by the courts years ago.  

Also, any magazine over 10 rounds may soon be in trouble with what they're trying to do in Springfield at the state level. 

And also, at the state level, they're trying to revoke the preemption law that stopped every stupid unit of local governments from enacting their own laws.  If that happens, we'll have a mess of totally insane different laws every few miles in this totally insane state of ILLannoy.

Oh, one more.  Chicago prohibits laser sights on guns. 

This might be helpful: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-gun-laws-explainer-20171006-story.html

But I kind of agree with a few others here:   If she wants nothing to do with guns, why push this issue?

You mentioned that when she was younger she enjoyed shooting guns. Now she is a college graduate and wants nothing to do with guns. You might want spend some sometime talking with her and reminding her of how much she enjoyed shooting when she was younger and see if she will open up as to what has turned her against guns. Once you learn why she has gone from liking something to not liking something and wanting to move to Chicago might be an indication her political issues may have changed also. You might get some insight on how to approach the issue now..............JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, cajunpredfan said:

Any suggestions or gotcha's that i should be concerned about?

This about a million times " My 22 year old daughter is wanting to move to Chicago."

Chicago?

Well the good thing is that she has taken kraw maga in the past and will be doing it again this summer.  I'm just doing research and due diligence as a father.  Trying to read the gun laws for Chicago is brutal.  I told my wife that at one time Chicago had a law that every gun had to be registered and that you could not register a hand gun, say what????  That was their was of banning hand guns.  That was struck down in the SC decision.  

I won't push my daughter, never could do that anyway.  I will just inform her that one is always available is she ever wants it.  I will look into pepper spray and possibly a taser or similar.

I think I will advise her to apply for a foid, just in case.

My 21 year old daughter moved to Birmingham last year and I went through similar father worries.  Yet, my daughter has no reservations about having a weapon, has her carry permit and is proficient.  She has pepper spray on her key ring, knows how to throw a wicked punch, and I bought her three cans of wasp/hornet spray that will spray to 30 feet.  She has one can in the bathroom, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom all at easy reach.  This stuff is better than pepper spray in some ways.  

15 hours ago, tacops said:

I bought her three cans of wasp/hornet spray that will spray to 30 feet.  She has one can in the bathroom, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom all at easy reach.  This stuff is better than pepper spray in some ways.  

Great idea, thanks for the information.