UPS. Anyone Having Issues Shipping Firearms with UPS?

I’ve been reducing my collection for a number of years, mostly Milsurp rifles, always ship by UPS.  ALWAYS to a licensed dealer, ALWAYS state what is in carton (and value, for insurance), and ALWAYS give them copy of the recipient’s FFL so they know it’s not being shipped illegally. 

All of a sudden, I have to cut open my usually very elaborate secure packaging so they can “inspect” contents. And those telling me I have to do this are millennials who wouldn’t know a machine gun from a tricycle. 

So I’ve spent about an hour so far on the phone, getting a total run-around while trying to find out if this inspection truly is UPS policy. 

Just a few minutes ago, a local supervisor (northwest Arkansas) assured me, “Oh, yes, that’s been our policy a LONG time.”  I told her I did not believe I could have shipped once or twice a month for about 12 years, and EVERY UPS employee has ignored that policy completely until the last time I shipped. She’s gonna have another supervisor call me. Haha. 

Do we now need to add UPS to the growing list of companies who think they have the right to interfere with our Constitutional Rights whenever they want?

I'm getting sick of the crap.  Think I’ll get some T-shirts made up that say, “I don’t care what you think, the CONSTITUTION IS STILL THE SUPREME LAW OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!”

As far as handguns or rifles I always use FedEx to ship them.  So far I have not had any issues with FedEx.  A couple of years ago I was shipping a complete JP Enterprises CTR upper to Hawaii.  Since it was just the upper I went to my local UPS store to ship. I was told that this UPS store does not like to ship any firearms related items and I would needed to go to the main UPS location to ship. 

We have to major UPS hubs in Nashville. 1 on Massman Drive off Elm Hill Pike and the other one is on Whites Creek Pike. I had a MAC 10 with two stick magazines that a dude in Minnesota wanted far more than I did. It was an Open Bolt 380 Caliber. We did all the proper things, Had a print out from his receiving FFL up there. Had all the correct labels, everything by the book. I spend about an hour packing this for shipment making sure everything would arrive that was agreed upon.

I take it to my local UPS Store here in Gallatin and they tell me they don't ship firearms and I need to go to the hub on Whites Creek Pike, so ok it's ok to Whites Creek Pike and after standing in line almost 1/2 hour I make it to the desk and  hand the guy the FFL paperwork and he says we don't ship firearms from this hub. You need to go to Massman Drive. An hour later fighting traffic I arrive. No line walk right up to the counter and had the guy the FFL paper work.

The guy says we have to open the package and confirm the contents. I just about blew a gasket at that point. He cuts the box open, removes the contents, puts it all back in the shipping package . not the way I had it but had it all in anyway, threw about 8-10 wraps of tape around it and does the shipping process. I told him I want $10,000.00 worth of Insurance rather than the 5 grand I was going to get. After the transaction was done and the package was sent down the shoot to the conveyor belts I ask the guy. So you got a look at the gun. Did you like the pellet gun and the guy said yea it was pretty cool. The guy didn't have a clue what kind of gun he just shipped. I said I will never ship another firearm long or short through them. I shipped about 10+ long guns of BT's to one of the members here and sent the through the United States Post office with zero issues. All of them went priority. Checked with FedEX but Post office had them beat by a bunch in price.

I have always us USPS or FedEx with no issues whatsoever. The first time I wanted to ship a firearm (long gun) I tried calling the ups store in Clarksville. That woman on the phone was an absolute unnecessarily abrasive witch, so ups has gotten absolutely NO business from me since that day. 

6 hours ago, Old Mitch said:

I’ve been reducing my collection for a number of years, mostly Milsurp rifles, always ship by UPS.  ALWAYS to a licensed dealer, ALWAYS state what is in carton (and value, for insurance), and ALWAYS give them copy of the recipient’s FFL so they know it’s not being shipped illegally. 

All of a sudden, I have to cut open my usually very elaborate secure packaging so they can “inspect” contents. And those telling me I have to do this are millennials who wouldn’t know a machine gun from a tricycle. 

So I’ve spent about an hour so far on the phone, getting a total run-around while trying to find out if this inspection truly is UPS policy. 

Just a few minutes ago, a local supervisor (northwest Arkansas) assured me, “Oh, yes, that’s been our policy a LONG time.”  I told her I did not believe I could have shipped once or twice a month for about 12 years, and EVERY UPS employee has ignored that policy completely until the last time I shipped. She’s gonna have another supervisor call me. Haha. 

Do we now need to add UPS to the growing list of companies who think they have the right to interfere with our Constitutional Rights whenever they want?

I'm getting sick of the crap.  Think I’ll get some T-shirts made up that say, “I don’t care what you think, the CONSTITUTION IS STILL THE SUPREME LAW OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!”

The Constitution has a clause precluding private companies from enacting policies on how you ship things? That's one I never learned in school ...

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1

Hmmm...  If the Constitution says I and million of others have the right to keep and bear arms, presumably that also means we have the right to buy, sell, and trade arms.  And if we can buy/sell, presumably that does not mean solely to our next-door neighbor.  So presumably, yes, a common carrier might be on shaky ground refusing to accept shipment of a legally owned and traded non-hazardous item. 

I'm not a lawyer, and I've never played one on tv.  But if it is a crime for one person to violate another person's civil rights--voting, for instance, I would think you can make a case that it's illegal for one person to violate another person's 2nd Amendment Rights.  That is, after all, one of our Civil Rights.

But from what I've learned, there is NO UPS policy against shipping firearms or requiring the packages to be opened.  What I experienced is apparently the anti-firearms employees of my local UPS shipping center making up their own rules.

As far as my comment about a T-shirt, there are a lot more infringements on conservatives civil rights these days than just on 2nd Amendment Rights.  In case you aren't aware, there have been small businesses shut down by fines of $100 grand + because the business owners declined to participate in gay weddings.  There are kids who go to shooting ranges with their Dads and post pics on social media who find themselves suspended from school.  There are nurses and doctors losing their jobs because they ask not to be forced to perform abortions.  Go out in the streets at the next anti-fa protest and wear a MAGA cap and a 2nd Amendment Shirt, I suspect some of your rights will be stomped on.  If you think none of these are infringements on our rights, you must be on the other side.

Edited by Old Mitch

UPS has a new policy regarding packages brought to a customer counter to be shipped.  It does not include packages with prepaid or customer generated labels.  UPS personnel must see the contents of the package before it is sealed (or after if the customer is willing to open it).  This policy was implemented after the Austin, TX/FedEx bombings and has nothing to do with guns.  I don't see any mention of it on the UPS website, but customer counters have begun displaying signage explaining it.  If FedEx hasn't' implemented a similar policy, I bet they will soon.

On a side note, the UPS Stores, which are independently owned franchises, do not ship firearms.  

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

UPS has a new policy regarding packages brought to a customer counter to be shipped.  It does not include packages with prepaid or customer generated labels.  UPS personnel must see the contents of the package before it is sealed (or after if the customer is willing to open it).  This policy was implemented after the Austin, TX/FedEx bombings and has nothing to do with guns.  I don't see any mention of it on the UPS website, but customer counters have begun displaying signage explaining it.  If FedEx hasn't' implemented a similar policy, I bet they will soon.

On a side note, the UPS Stores, which are independently owned franchises, do not ship firearms.  

Exactly. It has little to do with guns and a lot to do with mail bombs. 

• Moderators

Also, the 2nd or 4th Amendment are 100% irrelevant when dealing with private companies. These Amendments, as well as the Constitution as a whole, are for keeping government in check.

If a shipping company states that they will not ship firearms, that is not an infringement of anyone's rights. If a shipping company wants to open every single package before shipping, that is not an infringement upon a 4th Amendment right. In fact, I would suspect that the TOS of all shipping companies state that they reserve the right to inspect any and all packages if they wish.

This is the same concept that the majority of those employed wave most rights to privacy at a workplace. Employers can come and search your office, company vehicle, and in many cases your personal bags and vehicles. Not a violation of the 4th Amendment, unless theoretically you work for the Federal Government (that would be an interesting debate).

• Like 1
On 5/9/2018 at 1:07 AM, Old Mitch said:

Hmmm...  If the Constitution says I and million of others have the right to keep and bear arms, presumably that also means we have the right to buy, sell, and trade arms.  And if we can buy/sell, presumably that does not mean solely to our next-door neighbor.  So presumably, yes, a common carrier might be on shaky ground refusing to accept shipment of a legally owned and traded non-hazardous item. 

I'm not a lawyer, and I've never played one on tv.  But if it is a crime for one person to violate another person's civil rights--voting, for instance, I would think you can make a case that it's illegal for one person to violate another person's 2nd Amendment Rights.  That is, after all, one of our Civil Rights.

But from what I've learned, there is NO UPS policy against shipping firearms or requiring the packages to be opened.  What I experienced is apparently the anti-firearms employees of my local UPS shipping center making up their own rules.

As far as my comment about a T-shirt, there are a lot more infringements on conservatives civil rights these days than just on 2nd Amendment Rights.  In case you aren't aware, there have been small businesses shut down by fines of $100 grand + because the business owners declined to participate in gay weddings.  There are kids who go to shooting ranges with their Dads and post pics on social media who find themselves suspended from school.  There are nurses and doctors losing their jobs because they ask not to be forced to perform abortions.  Go out in the streets at the next anti-fa protest and wear a MAGA cap and a 2nd Amendment Shirt, I suspect some of your rights will be stomped on.  If you think none of these are infringements on our rights, you must be on the other side.

Interesting post.  It seems that the left does not hold a monopoly on specious interpretations of the Constitution ...

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1

UPS proper and your local UPS Store often have a different set of policies.  Since the UPS Stores are franchises, they're allowed to set some restrictions.  I had one in Murfreesboro tell me I couldn't ship magazines...so I just took it down to the post office instead.

If you follow the rules and notify the carrier you are shipping a firearm; you will probably have problems at UPS. Years ago I tried to ship a shotgun to a forum member (in state). It wasn’t against the rules then (it is now). I called corporate and they said it wasn’t against the rules, but because a gun was involved they wouldn’t override the “Security Officer”.

They even told me once that I couldn’t ship a gun back to S&W that S&W had send me a prepaid shipping label on. After checking; they allowed me to do that. I see S&W has changed to FedEx.

UPS has made it clear they don't want our business.

Anymore I figure if I can’t sell locally; my price is too high. Shipping does cause a problem though when trying to buy. :)

Here are the UPS regulations on firearms:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

For FedEx:

http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

USPS:

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

Yep, without violating carrier terms of service (which would also violate federal law by not informing), there is now no way to ship a handgun intrastate to another individual or yourself or interstate to yourself  -- even though both actions are legal under federal law.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

My buddy uses FedEx, as an AA pilot, he pays about $20.

If the FFL will accept from a nonFFL, it's a good deal for him.

Last time I used UPS or FedEx, it was $60ish and not properly disclosed. 

My best option is my LGS, he will charge me shipping based on his USPS rates, but no fees on outbound. 

OS tuned me into Fighting Sheepdog for transfers, if they're convenient, they are the low price leader.

Edited by Gotthegoods
8 minutes ago, Moped said:

Just found out this week that Fighting Sheepdog is having some issues and is not long transferring firearms or selling firearms.  Don't know what all is going on there.

Saw thread on ARFCOM that they were moving and so FFL wasn't updated for new location, so a gun to be transferred was stuck in limbo.

But that was couple weeks ago, no mention on their site of a move, looks like biz per usual, so dunno what's up. Definitely should call them before a transfer I'd say.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
31 minutes ago, Moped said:

Just found out this week that Fighting Sheepdog is having some issues and is not long transferring firearms or selling firearms.  Don't know what all is going on there.

23 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Saw thread on ARFCOM that they were moving and so FFL wasn't updated for new location, so a gun to be transferred was stuck in limbo.

But that was couple weeks ago, no mention on their site of a move, looks like biz per usual, so dunno what's up. Definitely should call them before a transfer I'd say.

- OS

Seems like that’s been going on for a while now, as in months, with some customers left in limbo and no answers. 

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Seems like that’s been going on for a while now, as in months, with some customers left in limbo and no answers. 

Ooo, that's too bad, wonder what's up.  I had no idea, last dealing I had with them was last Sept, all normal then.

- OS