Information overload

I want to buy a rifle. I was on the marksmanship team in high school. I went to the range a few times with my dad who was infantry. It's been about 10 years now, but I want to get a rifle. The problem is which one? I'm completely overwhelmed with all of the options. I'll likely only buy one rifle to go with my one pistol, so I want to get the right one. Something accurate, easy to maintain, fun, fairly budget friendly.

What would you recommend and why?

• Administrator

I think the path to answering your question involves several other questions.  To start:

• What is your intended purpose for the rifle?  Hunting?  Protection?  Plinking?
  • Are you left or right handed?
  • Are you wanting a rifle caliber or do you want something that uses the same caliber  as your handgun?

I'm going to suggest that he start at the beginning.  For most people, that means a 22 rifle.  Since you already have some experience with firearms, I'll suggest either the Ruger 10/22 semi-auto, or the Savage MKII bolt-action.  Both are well made, reliable, and will give good service.

Another factor is that both of those rifles are inexpensive (under $300) and can be easily sold if you loose interest.

A 22 rifle will be welcome at any shooting range, even indoor pistol ranges.

Start there.  It's where we all started.  And you never outgrow a good 22 rifle.  No matter what other guns I take to the range, a 22 rifle will be in the group.

• Like 4

Ditto what's been said so far, depends on your application. If it's just punching holes in paper and letting off steam, a 22 will do the job. I've got a Ruger American Bolt Action, very happy, fun to shoot, cheap to own.

Of course, the ubiquitous AR platform is begging to be mentioned. On top of all the other great features, you'll piss off a liberal, and who doesn't love doing that? 

- K

1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

Ditto what's been said so far, depends on your application. If it's just punching holes in paper and letting off steam, a 22 will do the job. I've got a Ruger American Bolt Action, very happy, fun to shoot, cheap to own.

Of course, the ubiquitous AR platform is begging to be mentioned. On top of all the other great features, you'll piss off a liberal, and who doesn't love doing that? 

- K

Buying a water pistol will piss of a liberal. Just the word gun pisses off a liberal!!

I have a Marlin Model 60 Semi-auto 22lr and I love it, they are tube fed instead of magazine fed and it is very accurate and best of all won't put a strain on the wallet for the gun or the ammo.......JMHO

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, Murgatroy said:

Get an AR-15. Then decide what you want it to be.

I've had this thought but on the AK side.

What is the purpose?

A little fun. If I'm going to own it, I'm going to have to consider its application as a defensive tool. Not a hunter, not going to compete.

Right or left-handed?

Left-handed, right eye dominant

Operating system?

It seems like semi is the sensible choice. On the marksmanship team, we used bolt action and there's something I like about that. However, for possible defensive applications, it doesn't seem like the best choice.

Budget?

I'll spitball $5-800

I will say, there's a lot that I really like about the SKS.

The SKS is a fine rifle, but they are getting outrageously expensive now-a-days for what you get!  Right now the AR is the way to go.  They can be had cheaper than an AK.  Spare parts are easy to come by.  Ammunition is cheap and mags are plentiful!  I love AKs but they are more expensive right now than ARs.

32 minutes ago, Moped said:

The SKS is a fine rifle, but they are getting outrageously expensive now-a-days for what you get!  Right now the AR is the way to go.  They can be had cheaper than an AK.  Spare parts are easy to come by.  Ammunition is cheap and mags are plentiful!  I love AKs but they are more expensive right now than ARs.

The banning of importing some of the Russian stuff hurt AKs and overflowed to hurt SKSs.

I have all 3 mentioned. I like them all. If it comes down to a cash decision, I agree the AR is it in the semi auto. You can find fully assembled new ones at less that $400 before taxes and fees from makers like PSA, DPMS, and others. Plus ammo is reasonable. 

There are also bolt actions like some of the Savage models that are nice for the low end. 

• Like 1

For your purposes, I'd say get an AR-15. They cost less than an AK these days, ammo is fairly cheap and plentiful, plus you have no end of options to add to it. 

OTOH, I do still believe that everyone should have at least one good .22 rifle. They're great to learn and practice with, ammo is cheap and they're just plain fun! :D Maybe you should think about buying 2 rifles?

Now if you're looking for a fun centerfire rifle, may I suggest a lever action? A bit of old west nostalgia, loads of fun, surprisingly fast to operate and perfect for the home defense role without being all scary and black. One of the 16" Trapper models in a handgun caliber is a perfect house rifle. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

For your purposes, I'd say get an AR-15. They cost less than an AK these days, ammo is fairly cheap and plentiful, plus you have no end of options to add to it. 

Haha! Look at you. Not too long ago you didn’t have a use for one, then you went and bought one and now look at ya! Recommending to folks that it is the rifle they need. I mean, I wholeheartedly agree, but it’s still funny nonetheless. 

8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

OTOH, I do still believe that everyone should have at least one good .22 rifle. They're great to learn and practice with, ammo is cheap and they're just plain fun! :D Maybe you should think about buying 2 rifles?

Now if you're looking for a fun centerfire rifle, may I suggest a lever action? A bit of old west nostalgia, loads of fun, surprisingly fast to operate and perfect for the home defense role without being all scary and black. One of the 16" Trapper models in a handgun caliber is a perfect house rifle. ;)

Totally agree with this, especially the lever action in pistol caliber!  Just wish someone would make an affordable one!!!  Looked at a Henry Steel .357 yesterday and it was $779.  I liked the rifle, but didn't like that price at all, so they knocked $100 off the top, but I didn't like that price either. 

Bud's has the Rossi 92 in .357 for $509.  Now we were getting in the ballpark.  But you can still find used 30/30s for $300-400 all day long.  Just wish you could find pistol caliber lever guns at that price.

2 hours ago, Moped said:

Totally agree with this, especially the lever action in pistol caliber!  Just wish someone would make an affordable one!!!  Looked at a Henry Steel .357 yesterday and it was $779.  I liked the rifle, but didn't like that price at all, so they knocked $100 off the top, but I didn't like that price either. 

Bud's has the Rossi 92 in .357 for $509.  Now we were getting in the ballpark.  But you can still find used 30/30s for $300-400 all day long.  Just wish you could find pistol caliber lever guns at that price.

I picked up a Rossi 92 off a member a while back. I love it with both .357 and .38. Almost no recoil. Been looking for a .357 lever for a while. 

There are just so many 30-30 levers out tgere used. That keeps the price down.

• Like 1

Ok Chuck, go ahead and laugh. :rolleyes: I'm still not a big fan of the AR. But for the OPs stated purposes, I do think it would be a good choice. Besides, a M1A is out of his price range. 

You did notice I threw in the lever guns as another option. It would work just as well as an AR. :P

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok Chuck, go ahead and laugh. :rolleyes: I'm still not a big fan of the AR. But for the OPs stated purposes, I do think it would be a good choice. Besides, a M1A is out of his price range. 

You did notice I threw in the lever guns as another option. It would work just as well as an AR. :P

I want, but have zero need for a .38/.357 lever.

With a little practice, you could probably keep it running for serious situations.

13 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

I want, but have zero need for a .38/.357 lever.

With a little practice, you could probably keep it running for serious situations.

LOL!!!  I have lots of wants and few needs!  Actually most of the firearms in my safe are wants.  I have a need for two of them currently.  Both are my carry pistols.

I definitely do want a .38/.357 Lever gun (its been a want for a long time now) and I "need" it to go along with my Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible and my Taurus Tracker. So maybe it is a need.

• Like 1