Guns N More In Smyrna

Does anybody have any information if they are going to reopen or stay closed. I’ve tried calling but line is disconnected , but the owners FFL is current. I’ve contacted the ATF since I had a tax stamp approved on April 6 and didn’t know until I called them two days ago. Thanks guys

I stopped in a couple months ago. The guy who was cleaning out the place told me that after their break-ins (two I believe), they shut it down. Insurance deductables were steep and cost went too high according to guy who was there. He claimed Smyrna (and/or landlord) would not let them put barriers in front of store to block the drive throughs.  Either way whoever it was stated they were definitely shut down. It was not the owner BTW.  Couldn't tell you if he will move shop. 

38 minutes ago, usuviri said:

I stopped in a couple months ago. The guy who was cleaning out the place told me that after their break-ins (two I believe), they shut it down. Insurance deductables were steep and cost went too high according to guy who was there. He claimed Smyrna (and/or landlord) would not let them put barriers in front of store to block the drive throughs.  Either way whoever it was stated they were definitely shut down. It was not the owner BTW.  Couldn't tell you if he will move shop. 

Wow that’s crazy, I always loved going in there and chatting even if I wasn’t buying anything. Thanks for posting this. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Cazelle24 said:

Does anybody have any information if they are going to reopen or stay closed. I’ve tried calling but line is disconnected , but the owners FFL is current. I’ve contacted the ATF since I had a tax stamp approved on April 6 and didn’t know until I called them two days ago. Thanks guys

The BATFE should have contact information for the owners so that you can get with them on claiming your item.

Ok, so now when you google guns n more it doesn’t even show up. Earlier this morning it was saying permanently closed. Talked to ATF and he said he was going to send an investigator out to try and find the owner. So I’m curious if the owner ran off with my suppressor and it was already approved what happens? Would I get another one from manufacturer with new serial number on form4? Hope this topic helps anyone wondering. Thanks for having me aboard.

• Administrator

I think it's safe to say this is probably every NFA-item buyer's bad dream.  Please keep us posted on how the whole process works out. 

Hopefully the G&M owner transferred your item to another store and simply did not contact you, or weren't successful in their attempt.  I know that I've seen similar stories play out social media and that has typically been the case.

Ok guys I just talked to an ex-employee of guns n more and he said that the owner may have left and moved to Las Vegas. I contacted the ATF agent that I spoke with last week and waiting a call back. Not actually sure what that means for my suppressor that he has that’s been approved, but hopefully I will eventually take ownership or something. I’ll keep the updates coming

I hate to hear about a situation like that, it's a royal pain in the butt. Been in a few myself. Hope it works out well for you eventually. If he's left the state ( or not ), likely the ATF will track him down.

So I decided to call around and see if the owner of Guns n more transfered my suppressor to another store and so far no luck, on target is my last place to get in contact with. Hopefully it works out. Did any other members on this forum have any nfa or layaway items at Guns n more?

My form 4 was approved February 18. Went by some time in March they said they had not received my approval. They blamed the post office. I requested a certified copy of my form 4. Finally received it Thursday and went by Friday. No one was there and the place looked cleaned out. 

2 hours ago, screwball09 said:

My form 4 was approved February 18. Went by some time in March they said they had not received my approval. They blamed the post office. I requested a certified copy of my form 4. Finally received it Thursday and went by Friday. No one was there and the place looked cleaned out. 

When you say went by there Friday do you mean back in February or this past week?

36 minutes ago, screwball09 said:

Last week. The last time I spoke with someone in the store was April the 9th. That was when he told me about getting the certified copy. When I was there Friday at lunch time the store was closed. 

Oh okay I gotcha. I hate this is going on not just for the OP who is trying to get his property after waiting was always seems like an eternity but also because I enjoyed having that gun shop here in Smyrna. Sucks all the way around and the way it ended was not something I’d have foreseen for sure. 

• Administrator

You guys with NFA items that were being held by Guns N' More:  What is the BATFE saying?

If those items were transferred by the crew at GnM to some other dealer to hold until your stamps were processed, the BATFE would have record of the transfers and know who the new Class III dealer that you need to contact is.

If something else happened... it seems the BATFE would want to be all up on this and getting in their business over there.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

And, when you actually call the BATFE on something like this, they're generally quite helpful.

It could be that they're just thankful to answer a call that is something other than the NFA version of "are we there yet."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, rugerla1 said:

Oh okay I gotcha. I hate this is going on not just for the OP who is trying to get his property after waiting was always seems like an eternity but also because I enjoyed having that gun shop here in Smyrna. Sucks all the way around and the way it ended was not something I’d have foreseen for sure. 

Yeah. I bought from them some. I'm never surprised when I gun store goes out. Hard way to make a living. Last recent contact I had, they referred me to another store for a lower receiver transfer. Digging for that message. It may be gone.

UPDATE: It was a Facebook message. It's gone. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

There ought to be a course for people thinking about opening a gun store.  

I hate seeing otherwise good folks blow their life/retirement savings on a gun store thinking it will be fun only to realize that it's a hard business whose customers will showroom your stuff only to buy online and leave you with inventory no one wants.

How many examples of this do we have in the last few years here in Tennessee alone?  I can think of a dozen off the top of my head.

There are business models that I think could thrive - but it's not your classical brick and mortar model - they're more niche plays.

And, even then you've got to show up and put in the work every day - and probably still be a little lucky.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

There ought to be a course for people thinking about opening a gun store.

What would it teach them; don’t do it? :)

Through no fault of their own it is tough to be competitive because they can’t be price competitive.

Gun Distributors take a cut from the small shops and add no value. They obviously don’t keep much inventory if my local dealer tells me “I can order it, but I have no way to tell when it would come in.”

Local dealers have to charge tax, online dealers don’t. Even though folks are supposed to pay that tax I’m guessing many don’t.

The first problem needs to be fixed by FFL’s being able to order direct from the manufacturers. But I don’t see the big boys making any changes.

The second problem I believe is about to be fixed.

We see folks on the gun forums complaining about how they were treated at a dealer. Then the dealer is gone. An area can only support so many FFL’s. So only the strong survive.

I have heard more than once in my LGS that making all firearms transfers go through an FFL would help the small shops. At least then they would have the transfer fees. No way to be competitive with online retailers. I am as guilty as any, several times I have gone to a local shop (or if they did not have it then outpost armory) to hold and check out a gun but then I bought it online. I have helped out in my LGS and am fortunate to have purchased several firearms at dealer cost. I have access to Lipsey's and RSR dealer accounts to check pricing. That said, many online retailers will offer guns at a 10% or less markup.