What Make & Model 22 Hornet Would You Buy?

I'm into guns and pretty much like anything that goes bang. But, I'm fascinated with an old cartridge, the 22 Hornet, and any gun that shoots them. I have a Springfield M6 22 Hornet over a .410, a Savage 342 Bolt in 22 Hornet, and a couple of contender barrels in 22 Hornet, but just need one more...for now. Tell me your choice of make and model that you would pursue and your reasons. I realize these are older guns and that new ones won't likely be found on the racks at your local gun store. I've done quite a bit of research, and find this an interesting little cartridge... one that I wish was more common these days.

hornet-variations1.jpg

For a nice value gun, I like the CZ 527 American.  Not super expensive, but very good quality and accuracy in most cases.  I am not even sure they made it, but a Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet could be fun too.  The CZ's are out there pretty readily.

IF you don't mind expensive, I find the Cooper Western Classics about the prettiest gun out there.  I love the case hardening.

https://hendershots.net/product/cooper-38-western-classic-22-hornet/

Edited by Hozzie
On 5/13/2018 at 1:44 PM, Hozzie said:

For a nice value gun, I like the CZ 527 American.  Not super expensive, but very good quality and accuracy in most cases.  I am not even sure they made it, but a Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet could be fun too.  The CZ's are out there pretty readily.

IF you don't mind expensive, I find the Cooper Western Classics about the prettiest gun out there.  I love the case hardening.

https://hendershots.net/product/cooper-38-western-classic-22-hornet/

Thanks for your reply. The Cooper Western would probably be outside my budget... or at least more than I'm willing to put into a 22 Hornet rifle. I think the same can be said for the Browning Micro, even though I probably have one of the nicest Browning Light 5s in existence in 20 gauge vent ribbed example, from the mid 60's. I really like the Savage and hear a lot of good things about the CZ 527 and the Ruger 77-22. I'm always looking for a Savage in 22 Hornet, but think I'd like a CZ 527 as well. I'm partial to wood furniture... and yes, I understand it gets scratched up in the brush, chasing coyotes.

6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

43 Winchester.

Gregintenn, I've heard of the Winchester 43 or M-43 being mentioned, but don't know a lot about it. Those that have mentioned owning one proclaim it to be the "bee's knees". Does it have a box mag or a removable mag? How many shots? Was it drilled for a scope from the factory? What do you think one could be bought for... in a reasonably nice condition... not a pristine collectors grade gun, but a shooter? I'll have to do some online research on it. Thanks.

If you want something really different, Taurus used to make the Raging Hornet, a massive 10” revolver in that caliber.  I’m not one to recommend a Taurus, especially one that is no longer made, but it looks cool and I’m just thinking outside the box.  I know nothing about them, lol.

Edited by Garufa

Win 43 has 3 shot magazine. Came with iron sights(rear Bbl sight) & later was drilled & tapped for a Lyman Receiver Sight.

I want to say later models were groove top to mount a scope like the 61's, 63's etc.. but I can't say for sure.

They were offered in Standard & Deluxe Models.

Anschutz & BRNO also made some fantastic Hornets.

If you really want to pony up some cash, find a pre 64 70 in Hornet.

Good Luck in your search.

5 hours ago, Garufa said:

If you want something really different, Taurus used to make the Raging Hornet, a massive 10” revolver in that caliber.  I’m not one to recommend a Taurus, especially one that is no longer made, but it looks cool and I’m just thinking outside the box.  I know nothing about them, lol.

I have been keeping an eye out for a Raging Hornet for some time. Never had one in my hands, but would love to put a few rounds down range from one. I have a 10" Hornet barrel for my TC Contender that's a tack driver. If you run across one that you're not interested in, please send them my way. Thanks.

4 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Win 43 has 3 shot magazine. Came with iron sights(rear Bbl sight) & later was drilled & tapped for a Lyman Receiver Sight.

I want to say later models were groove top to mount a scope like the 61's, 63's etc.. but I can't say for sure.

They were offered in Standard & Deluxe Models.

Anschutz & BRNO also made some fantastic Hornets.

If you really want to pony up some cash, find a pre 64 70 in Hornet.

Good Luck in your search.

After an afternoon of research on the Winchester 43, I've determined that I'm not really interested in buying one. My old, much less expensive, Savage matches it's accuracy for a whole lot less money. I'm not a collector, I'm a hunter/shooter, so a gun with the same or better accuracy, at about half the price, is my cup of tea. For late model 22 Hornets, the Savage Model 25 is appealing to me. I haven't researched the Remington 798 Express, the Springfield 840, the Kimber M-82, the Savage 322, or the Walther KKJ-HO yet. I'm basically looking for the best bang for the buck, in a 22 Hornet.

6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

No provision for mounting a scope. Removable magazine (I think it holds 4 or 5). They are pricey when you can find one. If you want a scope, it's not for you..

Yeah, the scope was the last straw! I'm an old dude that has to have a scope. I saw a guy with a "Raging Hornet" on U-tube, that tweaked my interest in a 22 Hornet pistol... and it had a scope.

If you want the best .22 Hornet rifle out there then try to find a mid '50s Sako L46.  Definitely will not be the cheapest but they are fantastic rifles.  Sako also made the M78 and Finnfire in .22 hornet into the 70's and 80's and are not as expensive as the L46.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 3:59 PM, gregintenn said:

No provision for mounting a scope. Removable magazine (I think it holds 4 or 5). They are pricey when you can find one. If you want a scope, it's not for you..

Greg, these old eyes need the scope...especially after cataract surgery.

On 5/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, Garufa said:

Garufa, I realize this is an old thread, but I have since bought a Taurus Raging Hornet. It is massive, with the 10" barrel. Mine came with the original box, a special scope mount that mounts to the vent rib, and all of the original paperwork and wrapping paper. It's an impressive hand gun. Thanks for the suggestion.

19 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

Garufa, I realize this is an old thread, but I have since bought a Taurus Raging Hornet. It is massive, with the 10" barrel. Mine came with the original box, a special scope mount that mounts to the vent rib, and all of the original paperwork and wrapping paper. It's an impressive hand gun. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hope it performs as good as it looks!  As big as the beast is I wonder if you can even tell when it fires.

9 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Hope it performs as good as it looks!  As big as the beast is I wonder if you can even tell when it fires.

I haven't been able to check it out at the range yet. It's only been fired six times since I got it, but the felt recoil is "very" mild. It'll be interesting to see what it'll do at 100 yards at the range. I have a scope on it. My old eyes are pretty iffy on iron sights these days. If it'll take a yote down at 75-100 yards, I'll be happy with it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, Garufa said:

They were interesting to say the least. Accuracy was extremely lacking.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, gregintenn said:

Then I'd look at a Ruger 77/22 in 22 hornet.

This is what I have. It's the stainless/laminate model. Out of the box the accuracy can be less than stellar. A bedding job and a trip to Connecticut Precision Chambering for a barrel crown,bolt tightening,and trigger job is highly recommended. If he's still in business. Hell of a guy. 

On 8/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, hornett22 said:

This is what I have. It's the stainless/laminate model. Out of the box the accuracy can be less than stellar. A bedding job and a trip to Connecticut Precision Chambering for a barrel crown,bolt tightening,and trigger job is highly recommended. If he's still in business. Hell of a guy. 

Lance at "TriggerShims.com" is your friend on the Ruger 77/22 22 Hornet. I replaced my sear with a Volquartsen Target sear and spring. Took my trigger fron 6+ lbs down to about 2lbs 4 oz. He has videos on utube on how to safely do it yourself. Super nice guy and fantastic products...reasonably priced. Check him out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am new to this site. I am so happy to see so many locals have the Hornet Fever. I did some research a few months back and got a 20" MGM Hornet barrel for my G1. I am Hooked. I have been working on different loads. I think I have settled on 2400 powder, 6 1/2 primer and 40gr V-MAX. Would love to meet folks for a Hornet party at the OK Corral.