RFI Pressure washer recommendations

I need to purchase a pressure washer for around the home use. It would be primarily used for cleaning decks and siding, although I'm certain more needs will pop up.

My preference would be one costing $200.00 or less. But I have very little experience with them other than the few I've rented over the years.

What would you folks recommend? Gas or electric? PSI rating?

fwi I don't foresee a need to use a pressure washer any significant distance away from my dwelling..but maybe I'm missing something. 

I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Honestly , I currently own one but would suggest to most people to rent one instead of buying . It’s the kind of equipment you use once a year and they have a tendency not to like to be sitting around unused for a year . So my experience has been that renting one the one day a year would have been far cheaper than parts , maintenance and original cost of purchasing. Combine that with the fact that the rental machines are generally far better machines than most will buy for personal use , it’s a no brainer to me .

I was literally just having this conversation with my wife yesterday.

• Like 2

Thank you tntnixon.

I have considered this. Rental locally is approximately $60.00 for 4 hours. Twice a year (my norm) and I'm obviously at $120.00. Then I have to consider scheduling the rental pick, not necessarily at my convenience... more based on availability.

Because of my work schedule and additional obligations, a 2 day project could also become costly. Yes upkeep is a consideration, but it already is in relation to my mower and weedeater. Not that I would use the pressure nearly as often, but being able to do so when need and opportunity arise at short notice would be nice. A "convenience tax" I guess. LOL

Is yours gas or electric? Gas I assume. Have you has issues with yours that required replacement parts? if so, did that occur soon after purchase? Is there a make or brand to avoid? 

Thanks again for your input and thoughts good Sir.

I bought one from Northerntool 20 yrs ago for $xx, can't remember, I use it 2x's a yr to do the driveway, patio, etc., and it's been well worth the $$ spent IMO.  I can do it when I have the time, stop and finish the job later if needed, etc.  I do have a detached garage/shed so it's stored there, doesn't take up much room, and maint is minimal.  I have bought a new handle/wand/nozzle for it, but that's it.  Has a 5hp Honda pullstart motor, and 25' (?) hose.

Northern Tool has 'em on sale for $300 right now.  Mine is labeled NorthStar brand I believe.

I have a gas craftsman with a Briggs and Stratton motor (about the same quality as you’d get at your target price ). The main problem is the carberator hates sitting that much. Usually requires a yearly rebuild (my experience). The other thing is the hoses have a tendency to weaken for the same reasons (rubber dry rots with lack of use ) and a new hose costs a minimum of about $80 and up to about $150. It’s not nearly as economical as I originally thought it would be when I bought it .

I bought one a couple of months ago.  I wanted to pressure wash my deck and have it around for when ever a project came up.  I decided to go with electric.  Small gas engines that sit for a long time seem to have problems.  Electric washers are a little cheaper and are powerful enough for most suburban home needs.  

I had gotten a lot of mildew on my deck and the electric pressure washer did a good job.  You might have to go a little slower than with a gas but it does a good job.

Hxk_X_5_Wf_Tome_CH8g_Bw_RV1w.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a small Karcher electric pressure washer. I've had it at least 15 years and it still works fine. It's clearly light duty and isn't the fastest thing in the world, but it's small, cheap, and it works fine on decks, sidewalks, smokers, trailers, and the kids have fun drawing pictures on the driveway.  

If you've got 10k sqft of deck or intend to do something silly like pressure wash your entire driveway, you might want something bigger. It works for my needs.  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I used a karcher gas powered with a 5HP Honda engine on it for years that would always start when I needed it to and would blow the paint off your car if you weren’t careful.  It was large and probably overkill for me and the average user.  That unit is still working (10+ years) at my parents house, and I have purchased a sunjoe electric unit that works OK and doesn’t have the upkeep of the larger.  If you don’t need >2300 PSI I would stick with electric, if you need more than that I would look into renting or getting a decent used one off craigslist

• Admin Team

I have both a gas model and a smaller electric model.  I bought the gas one several years ago thinking I “needed” that level of tool for my light duty use.  

It will do everything I need it to do, but it’s cumbersome, it requires a fair bit of upkeep (especially when other people borrow it), and it may be more tool than is needed for most jobs.  That is, it can easily do a lot of damage. Using it is a chore - in addition to the actual chore you’re using it for. 

I recently bought a smaller electric model at Lowe’s on sale for about $70.  It’s great.  It’s maybe 1800PSI - which is about where a low end gas model starts.  This is lower powered for an electric, too. It’s enough to do what you need to do without getting in trouble (siding, patios, fences, boats, etc.) Had I bought this one first, I would have never bought the gas model.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the excellent advice!

Mac...that was my exact concern, purchasing way more than I'll actually need. I have a tendency to do just that. 

I am considering the below linked electric pressure washers. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Sun Joe

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Joe-SPX3000-BLK-Pressure-14-5-Amp/dp/B073FBKQL1/ref=sr_1_17?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1526491726&sr=1-17&keywords=electric+pressure+washer

Karcher

https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-Electric-Pressure-TruPressure-Warranty/dp/B01N20PROC/ref=sr_1_13?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1526491726&sr=1-13&keywords=electric+pressure+washer

Thanks chances R.

These are in stock local to me:

Ryobi

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-000-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141900/205566055

Edited by prag

I usually run my Honda engine dry of gas when I'm thru with it for a good while, then just add fresh gas and a bit of seafoam (it can be a stubborn thing after sitting for a few months), and it starts w/o much effort most of the time.  LOL  Never had to rebuild the carb, just change the oil on a regular basis.

Edited by jpx2rk
6 hours ago, prag said:

Thank you all for the excellent advice!

Mac...that was my exact concern, purchasing way more than I'll actually need. I have a tendency to do just that. 

I am considering the below linked electric pressure washers. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Sun Joe

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Joe-SPX3000-BLK-Pressure-14-5-Amp/dp/B073FBKQL1/ref=sr_1_17?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1526491726&sr=1-17&keywords=electric+pressure+washer

Karcher

https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-Electric-Pressure-TruPressure-Warranty/dp/B01N20PROC/ref=sr_1_13?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1526491726&sr=1-13&keywords=electric+pressure+washer

Thanks chances R.

These are in stock local to me:

Ryobi

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-000-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141900/205566055

I think any of those would work fine for most needs.  Don't know if you're as stingy with garage floor space as I am, but the Ryobi looks to have a really big footprint for a "small" pressure washer. 

• Like 2

My mother recently bought a Ryobi electric, I used it today to clean the soffit under her porch.  It worked perfectly and wasn’t half the pain that the gas one is.  The thing I liked best about it was not hearing the gas motor running constantly.  

Prag, I believe an electric one will do anything you need it to do and if it won’t you can borrow my gas one.

I plan on buying a Ryobi electric soon.

Edit: this is similar.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141612/301004462p

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I the more I use a pressure washer, the more I think the GPM rating is more important than the PSI rating for most jobs.  

I think the Greenworks model I bought was the same as that first SunJoe link above.  Likely made on the same Chinese line with different branding.  The hose storage isn’t as nice as that Ryobi model - but it’s a lot smaller.  

The only complaint I’ve had - and it’s really more a function of the size probably - is that it seems to take the pump a minute to get all of the air out.  I could probably pull the trigger for a minute longer before I power it up, but I’ve learned that just because you see a steady stream coming out of the nozzle doesn’t necessarily mean it’s ready for business.  It hasn’t caused problems - it’s just cycled a bit for the first minute or two as I’ve used it.  

Got my electric power washer from Harbor Freight. Wouldn't due without it now. Clean the siding every year or so. Got a gravel driveway that's about 3/8 mile long. Complete with mud holes. I use it to clean the mud and road dirt off the car and truck every week or so. Just stay back from the paint a couple of feet. Both decks get a cleaning one a year. Got a honey due list that has a repaint for the metal deck table and chairs. First I'll clean the rust off with the PW.

Engine type are too expensive. I just carry a 100 ft extension with me.

Ray

Great info and suggestions folks. Thank you.

Brasil...Thank you my brother.

The Ryobi is very similar to one I borrowed from Alex a couple of years ago. I'm tempted to run up to Home Depot and give it a look my next day off.

Much obliged to all.

I have one similar to this and it's been a disaster. Too many issues to type out.

If others have had good luck with the electric then I'd go that route. If you go the gas route then it needs to be run once a quarter or so with ethanol free gas and run it empty.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-2800-PSI-2-3-GPM-Cold-Water-Gas-Pressure-Washer-CARB/1000178201?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-PressureWashers-_-1000178201:Troy-Bilt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000178201&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=485&k_clickID=c4cf1e89-71e4-4f41-a309-d6ab30df7823&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG0SDinzJhd-wX_L0fk29lw49l1BVlDFPQA2iMeCpotgsjVFaa9cMBUaAn1rEALw_wcB

Edited by Erik88
On 5/16/2018 at 8:39 PM, MacGyver said:

The hose storage isn’t as nice as that Ryobi model - but it’s a lot smaller.

The hose storage is actually more of a pain.  It creates memory in the hose, so it wants to kink.  I have gone back to just coiling mine in 4-5' loops.  

As others have said, if I had it to do over, I would just buy an electric washer, and rent a gas one for the odd job that the electric couldn't handle.  

I find myself using the electric a lot more often, just because it is much easier to setup, quieter, etc.  

• Like 1